Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 734374 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Name That ????
« Reply #900 on: November 13, 2008, 10:19:45 PM »
Born in the USA?  In 1904?? 

Hunh, THAT'S easy!   ::sulk::

Must be The Soccer Mom.......     ::rofl::

:D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #901 on: November 14, 2008, 03:11:01 AM »
Born in the USA?  In 1904?? 

Hunh, THAT'S easy!   ::sulk::

Must be The Soccer Mom.......     ::rofl::

:D

Er... if that's true, I've been wasting a LOT of time and will have to make a few phone calls that will really take some people who work in a town on a lake that grows by a factor of 12 for one week a year by surprise!

::eek:: ::unbelieveable:: ::silly::

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #902 on: November 14, 2008, 07:53:59 AM »
was it a Daddy Airtac design?
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #903 on: November 14, 2008, 08:42:57 AM »
Turbo, are you hinting that this is a Willy Messerschmidt design?

Hmmmm... no. The designer/builder was born in the USA in 1904.

TM

Art Mooney designed it? He was born in 1904!  ;D
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #904 on: November 14, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »
Turbo, are you hinting that this is a Willy Messerschmidt design?

Hmmmm... no. The designer/builder was born in the USA in 1904.

TM

Art Mooney designed it? He was born in 1904!  ;D

Hmmmm.... interesting... but no.  After he built this one, which didn't really fly so well (that's an understatement) he and a friend decided to buy an airplane that was originally designed in Memphis (but maybe not the one that everyone knows). Later he got involved directly with the company.

TM

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #905 on: November 14, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »
Art Mooney was a singer born 1911, Al Mooney (who I already thought it might be) was born in 1906. I've also tried people/companies Cessna, Piper, McDonnell, Douglas, Boeing (both of them) etc. and couldn't find anything.

Frank
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 01:36:12 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Jean Loup

• Cockerel
  • born under an obnoxious star
    • jean, the barefooted D.i.Y'er
« Reply #906 on: November 14, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
¿Where can I get one ??? |:)\

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #907 on: November 14, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
DonYan, if you buy it will you enter it in the Baja 1000 race?  I'm sure you could be an overall winner of the race!   ::cowboy:: |:)\

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #908 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »
Art Mooney was a singer born 1911, Al Mooney (who I already thought it might be) was born in 1906. I've also tried people/companies Cessna, Piper, McDonnell, Douglas, Boeing (both of them) etc. and couldn't find anything.

Frank

The designer didn't become as famous as them, though if a couple of things had worked out differently, he may well have ended up in your list.  :)

Next hint: He designed two different airplanes with the same name (named after a cartoon character dog) about 20 year apart... that drove people nuts and to this day people will ask "Which one?" when discussing them.

TM

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #909 on: November 15, 2008, 04:05:46 AM »
Ah, cartoon-dog, I just know that rings a bell, now just to remember what dog. Given the appearent era of the craft then I doubt it was either Buckles or Odie, and probably not Snoopy either, or Marmaduke, hmmmmm  ::thinking::

Frank
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:07:48 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #910 on: November 15, 2008, 04:18:35 AM »
Michael Smith?

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #911 on: November 15, 2008, 05:57:53 AM »
Michael Smith?

Frank
Sorry about that, chief...

(That's another clue, by gosh.)

TM

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #912 on: November 17, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
Ah, cartoon-dog, I just know that rings a bell, now just to remember what dog. Given the appearent era of the craft then I doubt it was either Buckles or Odie, and probably not Snoopy either, or Marmaduke, hmmmmm  ::thinking::

Frank

Okay... here it is:

http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Wittman%20Hardly%20Abelson.asp#TopOfPage

TM

Offline ZK Kiwi

• Cockerel
    • Wings Over NZ Aviation Forum
« Reply #913 on: November 17, 2008, 09:01:48 PM »
Interesting machine there Turbomallard, Great to know even Mt Wittman struggled at times!
the only thing is, I may have lost something in the trans-pacific translation, but i cant pick the relevance of the cartoon dog and "get Smart" Quote clues to the final answer... Can you fill in the gaps for a confused Antipodean? :)
If it was supposed to be easy, everyone would be doing it!

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #914 on: November 18, 2008, 02:30:58 AM »
Interesting machine there Turbomallard, Great to know even Mt Wittman struggled at times!
the only thing is, I may have lost something in the trans-pacific translation, but i cant pick the relevance of the cartoon dog and "get Smart" Quote clues to the final answer... Can you fill in the gaps for a confused Antipodean? :)

Well, I'm just a confused duck, and some people say I'm just confused.  ::silly::

That aside....

The cartoon dog reference was to Wittman's later race aircraft, Bonzo. They were separated by over a decade, and were completely different, but he gave them both the same name, after a cartoon dog. The chief thing was a reference to his first race aircraft, Chief Oshkosh, which won many a race in the 1930s before being reconfigured as yet another racer, Buster. This airplane now sits in the National Air and Space Museum.

While doing research at the EAA archives this last summer, I found a letter that cracked me up. Buster was donated to the Smithsonian (now the NASM) in the 1950s. There was a brewery in Oshkosh at the time that made "Chief Oshkosh Beer." The company sent Wittman a nice letter when the airplane was selected for the museum, and said complementary things about how much it meant to have the airplane next to the Spirit of St. Louis, that it called attention to how good of a pilot Steve was, etc. etc. Then a couple of paragraphs down the letter more or less said "By the way... wouldn't it be more accurate to change the name of the airplane back to Chief Oshkosh, and wouldn't this reflect better on the city?" Gee, not to mention call attention to their product!

I passed this along to an acquaintance at the NASM, and he more or less said, tongue in cheek (I hope) that if it happened today the museum would change the name back after they got the airplane (regardless of the wishes of the donor) and then hit up the company for a sponsorship!  ::rofl::

TM