Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 734414 times)

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
Re: Name That ????
« Reply #435 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:28 AM »
OH WOW G-Man you flew one??!! ::unbelieveable:: THAT'S COOL!!!!  ::bow:: |:)\ ::bow::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

airtac

« Reply #436 on: April 27, 2007, 03:46:28 AM »
Gman was a stuckwing pilot??!! ::unbelieveable::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #437 on: April 27, 2007, 03:49:11 AM »
OH WOW G-Man you flew one??!! ::unbelieveable:: THAT'S COOL!!!!  ::bow:: |:)\ ::bow::

56 North and 30 West, 300 ft, middle of the night for 12 hours at a time going round and round and round and round in circles---not exactly everyones idea of fun...but yes it was a hoot for about 8 till I had the labotomy and switched to helos.......
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #438 on: April 27, 2007, 04:20:39 AM »
Gman was a stuckwing pilot??!! ::unbelieveable::

Nah--- I wouldn't stoop that low  ::silly:: kidding.... I flew in the back, I was an AEoP, (airborne electronic warfare operator), but did get lots of stick time, and got to see lots of different places in this world.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #439 on: April 27, 2007, 04:53:34 AM »
Here's one for you guys to puzzle out.  I'll even make it easy and leave the 'N' number visible, and tell you the wings are aluminum and it's a tandem 2 seat.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 04:56:38 AM by tundra_flier »

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #440 on: April 28, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »
I had to look it up..... I should have figured it out ::thinking:: It's a Bearhawk

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #441 on: April 28, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »
I had to look it up..... I should have figured it out ::thinking:: It's a Bearhawk

Brian
Bearhawk!? Isn't that a WWII fighter or something?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #442 on: April 28, 2007, 07:34:52 PM »

Brian

Bearhawk Patrol (The 2 place version) to be exact.  It's the one I've got the plans for.  One of the other builders got a bunch of pictures at Sun 'n' Fun and was nice enough to send them to me.  Always good to have some inspiring photos to help with a large project.

Phil

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #443 on: April 28, 2007, 07:36:18 PM »

Brian

Frank

That would be the Bearcat.  ::rambo::

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #444 on: April 28, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »

Brian

Frank

That would be the Bearcat.  ::rambo::

Phil

::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::

What engine are you planning on using Phil?  How about avionics?

Are the performance numbers similiar to a Super Cub?

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #445 on: April 28, 2007, 08:51:57 PM »

What engine are you planning on using Phil?  How about avionics?

Are the performance numbers similiar to a Super Cub?

I'm planning to use the Superior XP-360 with low compression 170hp cylinders so I can burn unleaded.  But it's going to be a few years before I'm ready for an engine, so will see what's available then.  I see Rotec is making a 150hp 9 cylinder radial now, if that turns out to be a good engine it'd look and sound sweet on a Bearhawk.  8)

As for avionics, the panel is pretty small, so probably just a pretty basic VFR set-up with a VFR GPS Nav/Comm.

Take-off and Landing performance isn't quite as good as a Stupid Cub, but it cruises at 140mph compared to the cubs 90-100mph.  And it has 55 gal usable, so at economy cruise the range is 900 miles.  Gross weight and usefull loads are similar to a Cub too.

Here's the specs:  http://bearhawkpatrol.tripod.com/id1.html

Phil
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:55:40 PM by tundra_flier »

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #446 on: April 28, 2007, 09:19:53 PM »

I'm planning to use the Superior XP-360 with low compression 170hp cylinders so I can burn unleaded.  But it's going to be a few years before I'm ready for an engine, so will see what's available then.  I see Rotec is making a 150hp 9 cylinder radial now, if that turns out to be a good engine it'd look and sound sweet on a Bearhawk.  8)

As for avionics, the panel is pretty small, so probably just a pretty basic VFR set-up with a VFR GPS Nav/Comm.

Take-off and Landing performance isn't quite as good as a Stupid Cub, but it cruises at 140mph compared to the cubs 90-100mph.  And it has 55 gal usable, so at economy cruise the range is 900 miles.  Gross weight and usefull loads are similar to a Cub too.

Here's the specs:  http://bearhawkpatrol.tripod.com/id1.html

Phil

Is that a reman'd Lycoming?

RE: mogas:  will you set it up so it's E85 or E100 compliant?  With some states wanting to mandate bio blends, might be something to start considering (most aviation parts are not compatitble).

Do you know what engine the prototype has?  That's a wide hp range to use and I wonder what power numbers give those specs.   An IO-360 putting out 200hp would be cool though, wouldn't it?  ;)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #447 on: April 28, 2007, 10:19:12 PM »

RE: mogas:  will you set it up so it's E85 or E100 compliant?  With some states wanting to mandate bio blends, might be something to start considering (most aviation parts are not compatitble).

Do you know what engine the prototype has?  That's a wide hp range to use and I wonder what power numbers give those specs.   An IO-360 putting out 200hp would be cool though, wouldn't it?  ;)

The XP engines are basically Lycombings, but not certified.  Click here for more info http://www.xp-360.com/

No, will just be set up for regular 87UL.  Any alcohol is very bad in aircraft. 

The performance numbers are for the prototype using a 170hp O-360 custom built by the designer, and fitted with a fixed pitch cruise prop.  I may even drop down to a 150hp O-320, they tend be a lot cheaper than an O-360.

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #448 on: April 28, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »

The XP engines are basically Lycombings, but not certified.  Click here for more info http://www.xp-360.com/

No, will just be set up for regular 87UL.  Any alcohol is very bad in aircraft. 

The performance numbers are for the prototype using a 170hp O-360 custom built by the designer, and fitted with a fixed pitch cruise prop.  I may even drop down to a 150hp O-320, they tend be a lot cheaper than an O-360.

Phil

I found an article after my post about it, although they claimed a performance (climb) prop.

The problem with the Ethynol being bad might come to light if cars end up requiring it (that's why I asked).

Just think though, with 200hp you might have the cub performance *and* higher speed together. ;)

The performance numbers with the 170 hp sound really good actually...

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #449 on: April 29, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »

Any alcohol is very bad in aircraft. 

Phil

::unbelieveable:: You my friend have never flown on helicopters or a fire contract-----one can be shot for making such a comment !!!!!!!!  ::drinking::