Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 734519 times)

Offline Franz

• Cockerel
  • Glider Pilot
    • Sportfluggruppe Leck
Re: Name That ????
« Reply #840 on: June 04, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
Thats right.
I'd like to have one plus somebody to pay for fuel . . .

airtac

« Reply #841 on: June 04, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »
I agree with Airtac.  That's a Dornier DO-28 Skyservant.  Supposed to be a decent airplane, but that's only reading a few of my OLD aviation reviews.

YEAH, That's the ticket!-------------I knew it was a Dornier but couldn't find the model number.
As I recall, it was a beefy looking beast when sitting in the water---haven't seen one on wheels but I remember being impressed by it's rugged looks |:)\

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #842 on: June 04, 2008, 09:18:29 PM »
I agree with Airtac.  That's a Dornier DO-28 Skyservant.  Supposed to be a decent airplane, but that's only reading a few of my OLD aviation reviews.

YEAH, That's the ticket!-------------I knew it was a Dornier but couldn't find the model number.
As I recall, it was a beefy looking beast when sitting in the water---haven't seen one on wheels but I remember being impressed by it's rugged looks |:)\

Conversely, I've never seen one on floats.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline smittsrv

« Reply #843 on: June 07, 2008, 12:54:30 AM »
Here ya' go! Name that plane. (no cheating on the N number!)

Smitty
http://FunPlacesToFly.com

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #844 on: June 07, 2008, 02:15:39 AM »
Well, it was a pain in the ass to figure out, but I think it's a Luscombe 8F.  Modified, off course.  Never even heard of Luscombe, but got routed to it via piper cubs on wikipiedia.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #845 on: June 07, 2008, 08:08:56 AM »
Smitty I must admit, that is the most unusual Luscombe I have ever seen!  Military versions were all painted Olive Drab camouflage, so what the heck is this?  Thanks for the video clip, BTW.  I agree with the WAI interviewees... Aviation has lost ground to high tech in retaining the attention of young minds.  I look around the airports I go to and the only people I see under the age of 25 are lineboys or customer service.  Be durned if I know who will replace me once I retire other than a chip made in Silicon Valley.  God help the people that entrust their lives to that!   ::eek::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline smittsrv

« Reply #846 on: June 07, 2008, 10:26:26 AM »
Yep, it's a 1949 Luscombe T8F, owned by Bill Allan in north east Texas. I have some more pics here:

http://www.smittysrv.com/more_stuff.asp?ID=530

Have a goodun!
Smitty
http://www.funplacestofly.com

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #847 on: June 18, 2008, 12:56:45 PM »
ok here's one for all you vintage buff's.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #848 on: June 22, 2008, 02:21:35 AM »
Posting for Airtac:

Have two more images once you guess it..
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #849 on: June 22, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »
Franz posted one on here a while back and i reckon its from the X-planes series tested by NASA i cant remember the X-number but i reckon it was called the "stiletto" sure i had a pic of it in one of my observer aircraft books from the '70's.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

airtac

« Reply #850 on: June 22, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
Hey, those pictures of my airplane aren't the best angles for an ID so I'll give you a hint or two----it was manufactured in the 1930s with a 90 HP 5 cylinder Kinner radial but this one was converted to a  120 HP 4 cylinder Phillips engine (Manufactured by Glenn L Martin Motors Co) by Dick Probert.

Dick died last month at age 101--he hadn't flown the airplane in 16 years.  We pulled it out of the barn last Monday, drained and refueled it and it started on the first blade when I propped it........

I know you'll be able to Google something out of all that info ::wave::

And, Thanks for posting those pictures G-man |:)\

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #851 on: June 22, 2008, 10:46:42 PM »
 ::thinking:: ok im searching will it still be on the civil register?  ::type::

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #852 on: June 23, 2008, 01:07:47 AM »
ok here's one for all you vintage buff's.

HEY ODDY!!!  ::wave:: Supermarine Type 224  ;D
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #853 on: June 23, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
yep gibbo that's THE originally named spitfire and not what we all know,love and drool over today.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #854 on: June 23, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
Oddball: The one I found Franz posted a few pages back wasn't an X-3 Stiletto at all as far as I could tell.
This is the Stileto http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/images/content/85291main_X-3_lg.jpg

Airtac: Wow, that's one heck of a story, what a life he must've had, and fantastic the plane still works |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci