Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 734430 times)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
Re: Name That ????
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 11:06:23 PM »
Isn't it swiss???? A old pilatus maybe????? ::thinking::

Didn't that one show up in a previous "Name the Plane" thread?

Phil

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »
Isn't it swiss???? A old pilatus maybe????? ::thinking::

Didn't that one show up in a previous "Name the Plane" thread?

Phil

Ohoh! Actually I do not remember. my guess was a geopgraphical one. Since it seems that the plane could be european, switzerland was still missing.....
And it seems to me, but I cannot say it for sure, that he has a kind of swiss flag half hidden from the wing..........(an option that would not automatically say it's brand is swiss too, but....). Mates, I'm not good at all in recognition! ::silly:: ::silly::

I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »
Nope, not German (although the company names (only two of them) sound like it, but the company-name is usually just written as their initials). I must say I thought you guys/gals would've easily guessed it by now. What if I give a hint that I've seen one (perhaps the very one in the photo since not many were made) in real life?

Edit: Oops, I hadn't noticed there was a whole extra page of posts until after I posted my reply to Gulf's post. Actually come to think of it maybe I did, then I might as well just spill the beans and find a different one, an easier one.

It's a danish "KZ IV" Kramme og Zeuthen model 4. And it's not the swiss flag, it's a medic symbol. It was costum-built to be used by Zone-Rescue (later combined with Falck rescue which exist to this day and also work with the county with fire-engines and ambulances) to pick up sick people from the many small islands we have.
http://www.flymuseum.dk/fly/flytekst/kz4.php

Btw, the high-altitude plane is not the Gossemer Albotros is it? Or was the one with the guy powering it by a bicycle inside?

Frank
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:50:30 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 06:24:26 AM »
Frank

Your plane looks Suspiciously De havilland , Dragon eraish ::thinking::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 08:09:39 AM »
And it's not the swiss flag, it's a medic symbol. It was costum-built to be used by Zone-Rescue (later combined with Falck rescue which exist to this day and also work with the county with fire-engines and ambulances) to pick up sick people from the many small islands we have.
http://www.flymuseum.dk/fly/flytekst/kz4.php

Btw, the high-altitude plane is not the Gossemer Albotros is it? Or was the one with the guy powering it by a bicycle inside?

Frank

Eeeech! I swear I will not try anymore! not only recognizing a plane is difficult, but I neither recognize flags! Shame on me!!!! :)  ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::sick::

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 05:05:42 PM »
Is the solar-powered aircraft called Helios?

And I'm thinking that maybe Frank's ride is from the czech republic?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:12:18 PM by Zaffex »
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »
Ouch!  :-X That looks like a pretty ugly mess. I take it that the turbulence just overstressed the frame? And to answer your question, I'm from the U.S.

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:36 PM »
Ha, we have a good friend who went with us on a trip to Guatemala. He is such an insane, on-the-edge kind of guy (which is kinda odd, considering that he sells insurance) that we dubbed him with the nickname "Gringo Loco."  ;D

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 06:17:32 PM »
the one that looks like a bike....is it E.T.'s?!?

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 06:28:39 PM »
Hey, Happylanding, don´t land like that, against stone walls and three times ::knockedout::

Hehe! Good thing is that I have a quite hard head! it can perform some landings. to tell the truth....when I was a toddler and wanted something, instead of crying and stamping feet on the floor, I used to bang the head to the wall until, one day, my dad poured sparkling water over me...  ::rofl:: ::rofl::
BTW, my habit explains a lot of things! :)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
the one that looks like a bike....is it E.T.'s?!?
Actual clasification is "ManPowered" ::banghead::, but "WomanPowered" ::complaining: is allowed also...E.T. went home. ::rofl:: There was a craft like this that crossed some straight of the Mediterranean, Icarus if I remember well. Did the crossing (Greek islands) and crash landed, ::knockedout:: (the pilot is the engine, must have been tired!) but established the record.

DonYan  |:)\

Well, I would not give the name Icarus to a plane. it would give me the idea that the wings will part from the main body in a sunny day......

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 08:55:20 PM »
Real nice research Mr. Don Yan Holmes!  |:)\
there is still a question: are they sold these man powered aircraft?  is there a way to buy one??? it would be nice to....well, bike and fly!

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 10:40:30 PM »
Hey, Happylanding, don´t land like that, against stone walls and three times ::knockedout:: same thing happened to me with Frank "watsit" plane (unpronunciable for most f us mortals not SkandinAvians, just ChickenAvians ::rofl::) They really have some "flying oddities" over those islands. Never heard of it before, I was compleately out of the track! ::bow::

And Frank, you are close. Here is an Albatross, the other is unmaned. Gulfstream Driver is really on it: only yhe name missing! ??? (forum is NAME THAT)

I have no manners: wellcome, Gibbo_335 from Australia. I also noticed the nacelles...very de Havilland. The tail is not. You must have some flying  oddities over there in MadMaxLandia...

DonYan ::wave::

Hiya Don Yan,
yeap those nacelles look like they came straight off a Dragon or the Red Comet!!!!  We do have some oddities down here in MadMaxLandia (sounds like an alcholic drink ::drinking::) .........like this one .......

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:46:15 PM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 01:14:21 AM »
It was wholey built in Australia, i belive it last was last flown in 1992, this photo is approx 1956  :o i love the funky nose wheel  ;D !!! 

We'll wait and see if anyone knows what it is :-X

|:)\
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 01:30:50 AM »
A believe the nose wheel was steerable :-\ The plane was in fact designed by an Australian Itialian and was a 1 off ... so you could say it was a home build  ::thinking:: they tried to market it to the Armed Forces over here and all did not go well there!! ::knockedout::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww