Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 734404 times)

airtac

Re: Name That ????
« Reply #450 on: April 29, 2007, 05:34:53 AM »

Take-off and Landing performance isn't quite as good as a Stupid Cub, but it cruises at 140mph compared to the cubs 90-100mph.  And it has 55 gal usable, so at economy cruise the range is 900 miles.  Gross weight and usefull loads are similar to a Cub too.

Here's the specs:  http://bearhawkpatrol.tripod.com/id1.html

Phil
900 miles at 140 MPH-------------More range than I have bladder--- ::thinking::

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #451 on: April 29, 2007, 07:51:35 AM »

Any alcohol is very bad in aircraft. 

Phil

::unbelieveable:: You my friend have never flown on helicopters or a fire contract-----one can be shot for making such a comment !!!!!!!!  ::drinking::

You whirly bird jockys must be hard of hearing too.  ::)  I said it was bad for the aircraft!  Not the pilot  ::drinking::

Phil

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #452 on: April 29, 2007, 07:58:46 AM »

I found an article after my post about it, although they claimed a performance (climb) prop.

The problem with the Ethynol being bad might come to light if cars end up requiring it (that's why I asked).

Just think though, with 200hp you might have the cub performance *and* higher speed together. ;)

The performance numbers with the 170 hp sound really good actually...

And one of the news letters said they'd found a different prop that offered better performance than what's published on the web site, but didn't give exact numbers.

Ethanol's not great for cars either, but since they don't typically go from sea level to 10,000+ ft in a matter of min.   Some of the problems arn't a concern.  And all modern electronically controlled engines have knock sensors that retard the timing if they sense detonation.  So the other than a little extra wear and tear on the valve train, it can't do any real damage to cars.  Just reduce the power a bit.

You can put the 200hp engine on the one you build.  ;)  I still love the idea of a radial on the it myself.

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #453 on: April 29, 2007, 03:58:56 PM »

You whirly bird jockys must be hard of hearing too.  ::)  I said it was bad for the aircraft!  Not the pilot  ::drinking::

Phil

You got that one right----Thats why we all drink----coz we all know alcohol makes you talk louder--thereby making it easier to hear people. (Dont ya just love logic??).   ::drinking::

Heres another photoshop chop...

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:36:28 PM by G-man »
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

airtac

« Reply #454 on: April 29, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »
I forget the model number of the airplane but that's the airline I rode to AZ last month!  :-\

And in reference to talking louder when you drink----As a hearing challenged person, that is exactly why I hang around drunks and helicopter pilots (interchangable description) ::drinking:: |:)\

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #455 on: April 29, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »
G-Man:  ::eek:: I was just drinking orange-soda and I really nearly literally spat it out when I saw that, and that's rare for me! That is funny, and very well-done too. Really funny too since I mentioned earlier today to my mom that balancing an airplane unlike a car is like a mono-cycle (in relation to the sad story about weight-shift with the smokejumpers that crashed the plane in another thread) and here's a picture of a plane with just one landing-wheel.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #456 on: April 29, 2007, 05:47:55 PM »
Cool picture!!  I think I've been on that airplane, too....   ;)

And that crash the FAA guy mentioned to us was with a skydiving plane, not with any smokejumpers...  even though they both have to do with parachuting, they are two very different worlds, and very far apart in a lot of ways! 

Out of our 86 or so smokejumpers, only a handful are into skydiving for fun..  the ones who are, are REALLY good at it, and recognized nationwide for their skills, but for the great majority of the group, it is just the means to get to the forest fire.   ;)

::wave::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #457 on: April 29, 2007, 09:33:50 PM »

Phil

::unbelieveable:: You my friend have never flown on helicopters or a fire contract-----one can be shot for making such a comment !!!!!!!!  ::drinking::

Phil

Emphasis added above.  ;)  You are the one who failed to specify that you meant the fuel tank.   :D

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #458 on: April 29, 2007, 10:28:51 PM »

Phil

Phil

Emphasis added above.  ;)  You are the one who failed to specify that you meant the fuel tank.   :D

Or maybe I intentionally didn't specify  ::thinking::

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #459 on: April 30, 2007, 02:04:22 AM »

Doesn't that make the challenge on the comment legal then?  ;)

:D

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #460 on: April 30, 2007, 05:23:51 AM »

Doesn't that make the challenge on the comment legal then?  ;)

:D

I'm sure we'd all agree that alcohol is bad for the pilot when he's in the aircraft.  Bad for the aircraft too.   But since I'm done flying till tomorrow night...I think a little alcohol would be a very good thing right now.  ::drinking::

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #461 on: April 30, 2007, 07:25:08 AM »
Hangar/house on Private Runway = $170,000
Annual runway use Fee = $430
Having your friends drop in for a visit...

PRICELESS!   ;D

OK, guys see if you know that one!

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #462 on: April 30, 2007, 08:54:28 AM »
You know, I think about waving when we fly overhead on our way into Fairbanks from Galena sometimes...    :D

That's gotta be something else.  Kudos to you on living the "fly in community" dream!

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #463 on: April 30, 2007, 01:37:28 PM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:16:49 PM by Fabo »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

airtac

« Reply #464 on: April 30, 2007, 02:25:27 PM »
Hey Phil,
Is that an Interstate parked in front of your hanger ???  Jim