Author Topic: >>>TOP GUN<<<  (Read 91895 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: >>>TOP GUN<<<
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2006, 05:28:08 PM »
He he...good one! Do you have a bunch of patches on it??

I have a nomex flight jacket (green and blue) but no leather jacket.
It's a little warm for Southern California....although I wished a couple of times before that I'd have one
in Montana early in the morning or in Ely in May at 6000ft and before the sun comes up....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2006, 05:32:11 PM »
No patches... just a worn old, goatskin jacket...

It's unlined, so it's perfect for Arizona. 
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2006, 08:46:31 PM »
Hey, my jacket sees the inside of a cockpit, usually only in Spring and Fall  (winters are too cold and summers too hot).  It'll see the back of a motorcycle more often.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Bramter

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2006, 10:42:36 AM »
During one of my mountaineering trips, I've seen a flying chopper from above. And I got there using manpower only.
Given, it took the chopper less than 4 minutes to ascend to about 1500 ft, and me over 4 hours to ascend to 2700 ft. But don't you feel godlike when you're up there with the wind in your hair, sun on your chest and a handcrafted walking stick in your hand? eem I mean being up there with a full batch of gasoline and nothing but the skies around you? Chances are my boots have seen more action than any of you guy's jackets. but still: respect amongst brothers who'd die to live up there. No other (natural) high can beat that. Including sex.

Top gun: solid movie, as being already said. But it's got the old 'Hollywood Seal of Approval' and that always makes me feel abit doubtful about credibility, so I try not to think of it.

Offline kkrummy1

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2006, 01:37:47 PM »
The first time I saw TG was in the local movie theater. I had just purchased a new Trans Am with T tops and all the cool stuff.  I think I hit 130 on the way home. I definately felt the need for speed.  Used to play the soundtrack while running down the highway.  Sigh!   Those were teh days.

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2006, 03:51:07 PM »
Did you have the screaming chicken on the hood? 

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2006, 05:22:56 PM »
Screaming Chicken? I thought it was a Phoenix?

Great guest-posts in this topic :)

It can often be hard if one doesn't know the person in question to judge what his/her oppinion is so when someone reads such a really detailed analysis and fault-finding for a movie that's normally just entertainment then it can often be misunderstood that they didn't understand the true meaning but many people, including myself can see some fun in checking details without it ruining the movie for us, and of course also seeing it in contrast to what the purpose of the movie is, that's something one has to take into consideration, was it meant to be blasting entertainment, an authentic drama or just wacky? Top Gun is the first, Hot Shots the later and both are great fun imho, although Tom Cruises attitue lately is ruining it when I see his movies.

In the new version of Gone In 60 Seconds for instance it's a Chrysler startermotor when Eleanor is started, not a Ford-starter like all Mustang's Ford or Shelby has. The only real GT500 was however the one used for the sound, temporarily fitted with a x-flow sidepipe exhuast like the one displayed, but not used, on the several Eleanor moviecars. And when Memphis restarts Eleanor after she stalls after the floodcontrol scene, the one with the A-Star, then he's only using one hand although he needed two for the two tools used to activate the ignition lock originally but it's just a movie. I don't want to boost cars after seeing it, I do however want to drive and be around good responsible car-enthusiasts however.

Speaking of aviation action movies on this forum we've covered Top Gun, Hot Shots, Always, Fire Storm and Airwolf, but what about Blue Thunder?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »
It was supposed to be a phoenix on the hood of the Trans Am.  Screaming Chicken is just a term of endearment.  Like calling the A-10 Thunderbolt II a Warthog. 

I guess my point about the movie mistakes site was that when all the mistakes are listed like they were, it gets really nit-picky.  Especially when they find mistakes in spoof movies like Hot Shots and Naked Gun.  It seemed to me that some of those people didn't have a sense of humor.

Never heard of Blue Thunder...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2006, 06:22:16 PM »
Ah, thanks for the info.

About the movies then yes it can seem as nitpicking.

You what!?!? That is definately a surprising reply to my question, that's the one reply to the title I did not expect.

http://www.gregdonner.org/blue_thunder/bt_main.gif

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2006, 06:40:40 PM »
What's Blue Thunder about?

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2006, 06:45:14 PM »
I can't believe you don't know that movie. Anyhow, it's Roy Scheider and Maclolm MacDowel against each-other in a political conspiracy while test-flying a new super police-helicopter to be tested. Btw Special-1 (the official name for the helicopter, Blue Thunder is the nick-name) is actually a Gazelle with a new cockpit and one mother of a pilot-head-tracking canon that required counter-weights on the tail for the helicopter to manouvre for the movie.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »
Sounds interesting.

Offline msmfi

« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2006, 10:14:10 PM »
Hi Everybody!
Sorry for entering the discussion so late, but
...have You ever seen "Aces High" (Directors: Jack Gold) ?
That was the movie I remember from my childhood.
... "Battle of Britain" was the second one ....

And nowadays ....  "Battle of Britain" thread in "Pearl Harbor" ...

Regards,
Mirek

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2006, 11:58:27 PM »

By the way, how many of you -after seeing the movie- ended up with a leather jacket full of badges?

Another question: Which is TOP GUN's scene that you like the most?

*ahem* But I was a kid! It had several patches on it. My mom probably has a picture of me in it. I wore it ALL the time. I was COOL!  8)  ::) I was 9 when the movie came out... and I was 10-11 (ish) when I saw it for the first time. It's not like I wear it now... and NO it's not cause it doesn't fit any more...

Fav scene... anything with a F-14 in it.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 03:07:21 PM by Callisto »
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2006, 03:19:09 PM »
I can't believe you don't know that movie. Anyhow, it's Roy Scheider and Maclolm MacDowel against each-other in a political conspiracy while test-flying a new super police-helicopter to be tested. Btw Special-1 (the official name for the helicopter, Blue Thunder is the nick-name) is actually a Gazelle with a new cockpit and one mother of a pilot-head-tracking canon that required counter-weights on the tail for the helicopter to manouvre for the movie.

Frank

It was roughly paterened after the Apache, which I think it was supposed to be.  Great movie. 

JAFO... ;D ;D ;D
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.