Author Topic: >>>TOP GUN<<<  (Read 92135 times)

fireflyr

Re: >>>TOP GUN<<<
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2006, 10:34:57 AM »
Chances are my boots have seen more action than any of you guy's jackets.

I don't know about your boots but my raggedy  old jacket has been tossed around cockpits for over 40 years and about 12 thousand hours of that time is airborne---got a walking stick too that's seen the top of Mt Shasta (14,000 ft)and Wheeler Peak (13,000 ft), among others.  Hiking/climbing is fantastic fun but the ultimate high is aviation---come give it a try, and by the way, Welcome to our world!!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:21:38 PM by fireflyr »

Bramzter

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2006, 02:36:38 PM »
Thanks. Only time I was on a plane was in the passenger seat of a stunt aircraft. I loved it. But Independence Day kinda ruined my flying ambitions... perhaps I will give it a try. (either that or taking off without ever landing, aka 'skydiving'.) ::)

One can dream...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:07:54 PM by Mike »

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2006, 04:42:58 PM »
Independence Day the movie?  How did that affect your flying?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2006, 05:17:28 PM »
Independence Day the movie?  How did that affect your flying?

Uhm..yeah...tell us!
I don't remember Independence day affecting much of my life at all.
I just thought it was funny that the aliens had their flight controls backwards....(stupid aliens :D)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »
Yeah...Stupid aliens...Travel all the way across the galaxy only to almost conquer Earth...dummies.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2006, 12:36:27 AM »
Hi Everybody!
Sorry for entering the discussion so late, but
...have You ever seen "Aces High" (Directors: Jack Gold) ?
That was the movie I remember from my childhood.
... "Battle of Britain" was the second one ....

And nowadays ....  "Battle of Britain" thread in "Pearl Harbor" ...

Regards,
Mirek

Hi, I don't remember them off-hand but I might have seen them though, but then again we never had cable tv and growing up in Scandinavia we didn't get all US movies, besides in my childhood I preferred cartoons, like Gummi Bears and later Chip'n'Dale Rescue Rangers and Tale Spin (both had neat flying machines and other cool gadgets in them). I do remember a drama series about a WW1 flying squadron in England though.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2006, 01:49:15 AM »
Tailspin was awesome!   ;D

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2006, 03:20:10 AM »
Ha. I just remembered this... it's been a while. My roommate in college at the time the film came out, a grad student in literature, suggested the following ending to the film...

Charlie and Maverick are at the bar in very last scene... the music is building to a crescendo... the two are looking into each other's eyes, getting ready to kiss when--

The music abruptly STOPS. A figure appears in the doorway... it's Meg Ryan (Goose's widow, Carol). She turns to Maverick.

Carol: Maverick... I can't find Goose's dog tags in any of his personal effects... do you know where they are?

Maverick stiffens. Cut to black...

(If you remember, he threw them off the fantail of the Enterprise after his big dogfight in a symbolic gesture of letting Goose go.)

;D ;D ;D

TM
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 03:22:11 AM by Turbomallard »
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

fireflyr

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2006, 11:44:39 PM »
On the aviation movie thread---Anyone other than me like "The Great Waldo Pepper"---I thought some of the scenes were fantastic!
There was a lot of gut level "good ole boys" kind of flying which really shows how things have changed.

Even though I don't date back to those days, I have seen a C-182 buzzing down the main street at 100 feet, throwing flowers and pamphlets advertising an airshow.  (Petaluma Ca, 1957--Justman Flying Service)   There were no repercussions because people thought stuff like that was cool and the CAA (before FAA) didn't get their panties bunched up over an occasional well executed buzz job.----George Justman even had a routine where he dressed up as a drunk old chicken farmer and flew a Champ out of the county rodeo grounds after the "pilot" fell down after propping the plane, which started at full throttle with the old drunk "passenger" at the controls, the rodeo crowds loved it................

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, try that today, it is viewed entirely in another light in todays "scared" mentality.

Frank---sling or stuck wing is all just good natured ribbing (fun)---

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2006, 12:44:11 AM »
Pretty sad it's not like that anymore, huh?!
9/11 didn't help our cause either...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

SkyKing

« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2006, 12:09:39 PM »

By the way, how many of you -after seeing the movie- ended up with a leather jacket full of badges?

Not me.  That sort of thing is for Navyators and little kids (sorry to be redundant).

Well ya gotta have either the  jacket, a 2 pound watch, or the aviator sunglasses for them women at BYU to know you're a pilot, right?   ;) ;)

Nah.  The gals at BYU are SMART.

SkyKing

« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2006, 12:11:35 PM »
Did you have the screaming chicken on the hood? 

You mean the Ruptured Crow?

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2006, 03:01:40 PM »
Did you have the screaming chicken on the hood?
You mean the Ruptured Crow?

:D  That works, too.

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2006, 07:19:33 PM »
Speaking of stuntflying then I read the guy in the Spitfire that nearly give that presenter a haircut also did stuntflying for old war-movies, like flying an old plane under a small bridge etc. but I can't remember his name, however I think to remember it said his son was also a stuntpilot. The Spitfire clip is in my permanent archive though :D

Ray Hanna.  His son was Mark.

Sadly both now dead.  Mark in a flying accident several years ago, Ray at home at the age of 77 (until then still display flying!)  last December.

Astounding pilots the both of them.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2006, 07:25:50 PM »
Ah, that sounds right from what I remember, too bad about his son, I hope they both rest in peace.

Thank you for the information.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci