Author Topic: Know when to say no-go (video link)  (Read 10725 times)

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Know when to say no-go (video link)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:47:52 AM »
It was dipping below 12kts, and gusting to 36, according to our unicom weather station.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 03:21:15 AM »
OK, that makes more sense.  I'd be checking my tie downs not taking off in that kind of weather.   ::eek::  Time to go home and check the weather again in 8 hours.  ::drinking::

Phil

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 03:31:21 PM »
oh... the 701... "flying bread boxes"... i see them quite alot lately.
and why the video is down? youtube says that the author removed it.
and about crosswinds,i once had a talk with an ultra light pilot who is flying Tecnam p-92 and Maxair drifter,i asked him what he would do if he was low on fuel and he would need to cancel takeoff cause of wind,he told me "why cancel landind when you can turn the bird towards the wind and bring it down like a helicopter?"
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
It was dipping below 12kts, and gusting to 36, according to our unicom weather station.

Just to throw this out there--the limit set by the USFS for cancelling our missions is 50kts.  ::unbelieveable:: ::unbelieveable::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 05:26:40 AM »
We have a few know-it-all jerks at our airport, and one of 'em lost control of his airplane a couple weeks ago. A really nice black-and-white
Decathlon Scout. He set it down on the tailwheel and messed it up, which slewed the airplane to the right, through the ditch and onto the
ramp. He started bugging me about whether I'd post that if I had recorded it... and I just kinda shrugged. He started yelling at me about
how I'd gone and put the TriPacer accident on Youtube, and bugged my boss enough that I just decided to take it down.
Hell, Harry (my boss) doesn't deserve to be treated like that, and I really do wish I'd recorded the dickhead's fumbled landing attempt. I do, however, have
a short clip of him starting a takeoff roll through a few people at a fly-in lunch (fortunately they were able to avoid being hit). Fella's gonna get someone hurt one of these days, and he yells
at me for having a camera handy.
Sheez.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:28:13 AM by spacer »

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 05:39:29 AM »
starting a takeoff roll through a few people at a fly-in lunch

Dude!  What's his deal?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
starting a takeoff roll through a few people at a fly-in lunch

Dude!  What's his deal?

Local airport narcissist/knowitall. He was up in arms about folks talking about his botched landing, yet his favorite thing in the world is hanging around
and talking about everyone else. If I'd gotten a better view of folks diving for cover, I'd be sorely tempted to show it off a bit.
Maybe not, though. I'm getting more and more numb about caring about much of this crap anymore.

Whatever happened to folks getting together because of their love for flying? This isn't a job I really need, and I took it mostly just to stay immersed
during my flight training, but damn... my paycheck pretty much forces me to deal with some of the worst guys here (there are quite a few good guys, though).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:35:57 PM by spacer »

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »

Just to throw this out there--the limit set by the USFS for cancelling our missions is 50kts.  ::unbelieveable:: ::unbelieveable::

I thought it was 30kts max and/or a gust spread of 15kts ?!
(that's what the IHOG says....)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 09:39:20 PM »

Dude!  What's his deal?

apparently he's the guy that coined the phrase "those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do"
sheesh. i hate pompous dillweeds. yeah, he's gonna hurt someone if not himself someday. be it in an airplane or car or whatever. wonder if he's gonna go hunting with Dick Cheney anytime soon?
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »

I thought it was 30kts max and/or a gust spread of 15kts ?!
(that's what the IHOG says....)

Not for flights above 500 feet..... It is 50kts.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 05:08:39 PM »
We have a few know-it-all jerks at our airport, and one of 'em lost control of his airplane a couple weeks ago. A really nice black-and-white
Decathlon Scout. He set it down on the tailwheel and messed it up, which slewed the airplane to the right, through the ditch and onto the
ramp. He started bugging me about whether I'd post that if I had recorded it... and I just kinda shrugged. He started yelling at me about
how I'd gone and put the TriPacer accident on Youtube, and bugged my boss enough that I just decided to take it down.
Hell, Harry (my boss) doesn't deserve to be treated like that, and I really do wish I'd recorded the dickhead's fumbled landing attempt. I do, however, have
a short clip of him starting a takeoff roll through a few people at a fly-in lunch (fortunately they were able to avoid being hit). Fella's gonna get someone hurt one of these days, and he yells
at me for having a camera handy.
Sheez.

Is there any chance of getting a copy of the video in an e-mail if you can't post it normally?

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"