Author Topic: In the weeds....  (Read 5603 times)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
In the weeds....
« on: April 21, 2007, 02:21:22 AM »
Check this out..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPirdxXLSlc

Especially since an AN-12 is the Russian equivalent to the C-130....

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

airtac

Re: In the weeds....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 02:34:15 AM »
THAT, my friends, is someone having FUN |:)\
Just don't try that in the good ole USofA cause it can lead to things like wire strikes, certificate suspensions, and much embarrassment (voice of experience here) ::banghead::

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »
Just don't try that in the good ole USofA

Unless you're in Alaska?

not many wires to strike or people to avoid in some areas up here... 

And I sense a story....   
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

airtac

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 03:14:52 PM »
Just don't try that in the good ole USofA

Unless you're in Alaska?

not many wires to strike or people to avoid in some areas up here... 

And I sense a story....   

True, but details will only be revealed on my death bed :-X

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:52:25 PM »
True, but details will only be revealed on my death bed :-X

We can keep a secrret... right guys?   ;)

Here's a story...  last week I had someone tell me this (in complete seriousness).

"The rules are made for the lowest skill level of pilots.  They are created for people who aren't good enough to do it on their own.  If you are a good pilot then rules shouldn't apply to you and there's no reason to follow them.  If you need to follow the rules then you have no buisiness being in an airplane."

He also feels the same way about aircraft limitations.  He knows better than the manufacturer...

airtac

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:12:33 AM »
HMMMMM
Sounds like a real ACE (someone who has a combination of 5 accidents and/or violations) ::loony::

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 03:43:56 AM »
Very low flying indeed, but what also struck me was the times there were some rapid movement on the control-yoke while the plane looked to be stable, is that unstability of the AN-12 or was it windy that day (or didn't I look closely enough thrue the windows about how the plane moved vs the control-input)?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 05:38:47 AM »
At one point it looked like they were stationary on the ground and moving the yoke to go along with the music  ;)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 06:22:21 AM »
At one point it looked like they were stationary on the ground and moving the yoke to go along with the music  ;)
Yeah! A bit too low, and a bit too little response to the control-movements, or maybe it was during landing after touch-down.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

airtac

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:26:27 AM »
Yeah! A bit too low, and a bit too little response to the control-movements, or maybe it was during landing after touch-down.

Frank
Hey guys, that's not a Cessna 172 or a Be 1900 either---a lot of BIG airplanes take big control inputs--find yourself a cockpit video of a B-52 for instance, my brother-in-law flew them and he said it took huge amounts of imput on a very large control yoke to make it do anything ::type::

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 04:41:25 AM »
Ah, so it has low control-ratios? I thought larger planes had power-assisted control-surfaces, like power-steering for a car, but maybe this varies a lot more than it does for cars?
Thanks for the information Jim  |:)\
Now you mention it, I also think a cockpit video of a Valkyrie showed similar movements.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »

Hey guys, that's not a Cessna 172 or a Be 1900 either---a lot of BIG airplanes take big control inputs--find yourself a cockpit video of a B-52 for instance, my brother-in-law flew them and he said it took huge amounts of imput on a very large control yoke to make it do anything ::type::

We might be talking about different times in the video.

I was comparing that one section to the rest of the times you can see the control inputs they are using.  That was a big difference in rhythmic control inputs right there.   The one time where he's sawing the yoke back and forth halfway through is what I'm talking about.  Taking a closer look it's hard to tell, still looks spliced in to me though.

The rest of them looked normal to me.

Also means I might have misread what Frank was talking about.   Frank: if it was on landing, that's not unusual at all, controls lose effectiveness as you slow down so larger control inputs can become neccessary.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:10:14 AM »
Ah, so it has low control-ratios? I thought larger planes had power-assisted control-surfaces, like power-steering for a car, but maybe this varies a lot more than it does for cars?
Thanks for the information Jim  |:)\
Now you mention it, I also think a cockpit video of a Valkyrie showed similar movements.

Frank

It varies by aircraft.   A Ford Trimotor, for instance, has two complete turns of the automotive like steering wheel to reach full deflection on the controls (read that somewhere) with no power assist.

A number of old airliners likewise did not have assist, although many "new" ones do.  I'm not aware on the Antonov.

Edit: appears that video was over Madagascar.

"you like to... move it!"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:24:31 AM by Baradium »