Author Topic: Kind of an interesting thread . . .  (Read 14471 times)

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
Re: Kind of an interesting thread . . .
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 11:01:20 PM »
I know of the "shotgun" panel you speak of... I had one in my 182.  I kind of liked having the DG next to the AI, instead of below it.  Seemed to reduce the vertigo... but I've been called a "natural" instrument pilot, whatever the hell that means  ::), I can bounce back and forth between a standard T and shotgun panel with few problems. 
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 11:10:35 PM »
I can bounce back and forth between a standard T and shotgun panel with few problems. 

Freak.   ;D
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

fireflyr

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 11:39:37 PM »
I agree with Gulfstream.
It doesn't matter which scan out of the book you use but you have to stick with the one you choose. I have the same problem, I just "see" the whole panel. So will he probably one day but until he does....
As for the scattered panel: Pfew!! that's messed up. I think I would be pretty confused without the six-pack....

Here is a question I like to ask our experienced stuck wing pilots:

Was it really that hard to land that airbus with the nose gear exactly 90 degrees out?

I mean, you still have the reverse thrusters, both brakes, the rudder, and so on to keep you aligned on the runway... Everybody was "wow, cool, what a great pilot, he's a hero!!"""

It just seems to me like a running landing in a helicopter. We practice these in case our tailrotor gets stuck or we are too heavy and can't hover. You just land the helo like a plane and skid it on and you can totally keep it on the center line until it stops even though the helo doesn't have any wheels or brakes at all....
He still did a nice job, don't get me wrong.

"Seeing" the panel is the problem I'm having---I don't have a "scan", for me it's like looking out the windshield no matter where the instruments are.   BUT, with the instruments all over the panel, I'm not able to recomend any type of pattern to this guy to keep him from fixating on any one thing to long.     The ASI is center, T&B lower left (way down), DG far leftunder Nav head, Horizon is to right of throttle, VSI is under that, Altimeter is above the Horizon, #1 Nav head and Tach are to left of ASI-----getting the picture??
Sleek, Gulfstream, Mike, me-----no problem, but try teaching someone to see the big picture (he's a friend but I gotta tell ya, he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer)----now I've got a problem.   Even for me, it's a lot of searching with the eyes.
Keep the suggestions coming, I'll eventually put enough together to make it work.   Already told him we're not doing a lot of IMC because there's no pitot heat on the critter either.    GOSH, what we do for wages!!!!!!!!!!!

The Jet Blue landing was a piece of cake BECAUSE the wheels were a full 90 deg off center, when the nose came down it was a nice straight ahead source of drag---cock them puppies 30 deg right or left and then it might be a little dicey.   Not taking anything away from the guy when I say that, any emergency gives ample opportunity to screw the pooch and he handled it well, one step at a time.

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 12:24:19 AM »
Does it have a 3" AI, or does it still have the old AN big mama-jama AI in it??? 

Though after seeing what year of 172 we're talking about.... those are fantastic VFR machines since the panel is so low.  On the other had, that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for instruments.  Usually, and I mean this in the most general way, you can move the instruments around in the panel.  I would at least try to have a mechanic move the AI and DG so they are next to each other. 

One more quesiton, does this old bird even have a vacume pump, or are we working with venturi tubes???   
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 12:51:16 AM »
Worried about a little ice when the overnight low is 37? 

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 02:01:00 AM »
i scanned my way through this thread but remeber the "law of readiness"? the student HAS to be able to meet you half way and WANT to learn the subject, it just makes it a whole lot easier. but y'all know that. try and explain to him what the instrument rating really means and stress that it can and probably will save his life someday. then again, i may be babbling.

as far as my scan, the T-method works for me and then after i do the T i glance at the TC and the VSI but like y'all, i see the whole picture anyway. that's just what works for me. saved my butt a few weeks ago that i mentioned in  This thread.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 02:07:31 AM by plthijnx »
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 03:41:43 AM »
good point about the law of readiness.  Also remember recency.  How often does he fly?  If it's only once or twice a week, it makes it so much harder. 

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 03:47:09 AM »
wow, I am surprised y'all can still name all the laws of learning!
Have I been doing this for too long? ???
(oh, yeah... CRS :-[)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2006, 04:19:06 AM »
Yeah Sleek, it's got the latest guages and no, there ain't gonna be no mechanic movin' nothin' and it's a 0-360 coversion so it's got a vacuum pump.

Gulfstream, we most certainly get ice here in Kalifornia (don' be makin no fun of us--My governor can be whippin' yours!)

plthijnx, "Law of readiness"-don't matter much, I charge 40 bucks an hour---I'm motivated.

Gulfstream, he flies less then my grandmother (she's been dead a long time) & Der Governor can still whip yours!

Mike,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What are the laws of learning?   And you think you got CRS (that something to do with the juxtaposition of brains and butts?) :D :D :D :D

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2006, 04:39:30 AM »
Sometimes I wouldn't mind if my gov. got whupped by your gov.  'Course, I'm originally from MN, so our former gov. could give yours a run for his money.

fireflyr

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 05:05:48 PM »
Hey!,
I forgot about governor Jesse---BIG DIFFERENCE there,  He, as a USN Seal really knows how to kill people whereas governor Arnold is only an actor------Me and my big mouth, ALAS and ALACK!!!, I'm so ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!  :-\ :'(

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2006, 10:20:06 PM »
he might be an actor but i don't think he's a "girly-man"  ;D
this I would pay money to see though...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2006, 11:11:40 PM »
Have you guys seen Jesse lately?  He's a little crazy looking.  'Course it's the crazy ones you have to be careful of...

fireflyr

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 01:13:36 AM »
Gulf, You looked at my Avatar lately????????????????????
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 01:15:46 AM by fireflyr »

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 06:07:57 AM »
Your avatar doesn't have a braided 12" goatee.