Author Topic: Garmin... Soon to be by Microsoft...  (Read 4516 times)

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
Garmin... Soon to be by Microsoft...
« on: October 10, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/bizav/975-full.html#196351
Your Garmin, Now By Microsoft?
Wall Street reacted Monday to rumors that Garmin Ltd. may be targeted by Microsoft Corp. as an acquisition -- Garmin shares jumped 5 percent as a result. Head equity traders told Bloomberg News that the speculation may be riding a wave borne of news that Nokia Oyj had agreed to buy Navteq Corp., which happens to produces data used by Garmin in its navigation programs. That buyout is credited with triggering a "who's next" mentality among some traders and apparently Garmin is imagined as the most likely target. Others, however, put little faith in the rumors. "It doesn't make any sense at all ... Microsoft always is rumored to be buying someone," Rob Sanderson of American Technology Research told the Kansas City Star. Sanderson says Microsoft has not yet bought another company as large as Garmin and for that reason a buyout seems unlikely. Speaking for Garmin, Ted Gartner declined comment. Garmin stock has been both volatile and pricey lately. Shares rose or fell by more than 3 percent each day through most of last week and have been pricey -- over $105 per share.
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Garmin... Soon to be by Microsoft...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:17:53 PM »
Oh no please no, not Garmin! This makes the photoshop image of an airliner glas-cockpit with BSOD's (Blue Screen Of Death) well-known on PC's with Microsoft Windows a lot more likely!

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

airtac

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »
HEHE--"Blue Screen of Death" ;D

I can see it now----"Hello Tech Support, this is Air France flight 290, we've unplugged the modem and rebooted the entire cockpit but now we're having trouble logging back on which is a problem since we're still holding mid Atlantic and only have 30 minutes fuel" ----

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:30:52 AM »
And then there will come Linu-GPS.

It will be open source, a hellavalot more efficient, stable as hell, tons of capabilities....

But you're gonna have to type in every command in code language by hand  ::type:: and hey! none of the satellites will be compatible with it so it won't know where you are..  ::knockedout::

Actually I think that who owns the stocks doesn't really matter, it's just natural evolution of the company system. And Microsoft isn't THAT bad! As long as the new Garmins don't run Windows  ::sick::
It's all Greek to me!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »
Ah I finally found the image of the BSOD jetliner cockpit.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 05:45:07 PM »
Now THAT's funny, Frank!  LMAO!!!   ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::

This certainly adds meaning to the phrase, "Blue Screen of Death"!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:54:49 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
But you're gonna have to type in every command in code language by hand  ::type:: and hey! none of the satellites will be compatible with it so it won't know where you are..  ::knockedout::

Bit of OT: but hey, dont u kno KDE? :) Think I gonna find some linux working on NTFS... dont want to lose a partition reverting back to FAT32, you guys know any? Dont want live you see...

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:49:30 PM »
Ah I finally found the image of the BSOD jetliner cockpit.

Frank

::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: Great one Frank!
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"