Author Topic: Another SAS Q400 made an emergency landing with gear problem!  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Another SAS Q400 made an emergency landing with gear problem!
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:56:09 AM »
I just noticed the headline when looking at airliners.net and then I looked at the danish pilot forum and sure enough, there it was. No fire this time and all got out, this time it was in Lithuania and SAS (aka Scandinavian Airlines) has now halted the use of all 33 Dash-8 planes in their fleet. According to danish news a passenger said one wheel was loose and burst during landing.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Another SAS Q400 made an emergency landing with gear problem!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 07:54:53 AM »
I just noticed the headline when looking at airliners.net and then I looked at the danish pilot forum and sure enough, there it was. No fire this time and all got out, this time it was in Lithuania and SAS (aka Scandinavian Airlines) has now halted the use of all 33 Dash-8 planes in their fleet. According to danish news a passenger said one wheel was loose and burst during landing.

Frank

A bit late, but other operators of the Q400 in the US had grounded their aircraft as well.  I have not heard if they have started flying again yet.    I have only heard of the Q400s being grounded,  the Dash 8s are still flying here.  Can't speak for other countries though.

Frank, did they ground the Dash 8s and Q400s or just the Q400s?   They are different types and it's confusing me a bit.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:24:35 PM »
Well SAS only has the Q400 version as far as I remember. Q = Quiet I think and the 100, 200, 300, 400 is the size as you probably know but the Dash-8 Q400 seems to be the fleet model. Quantas has had theirs checked and cleared by a small norwegian airline found corrosion in the hydralics or something like that which has to do with the landing gear. Doesn't sound good.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:32:37 AM »
Well SAS only has the Q400 version as far as I remember. Q = Quiet I think and the 100, 200, 300, 400 is the size as you probably know but the Dash-8 Q400 seems to be the fleet model. Quantas has had theirs checked and cleared by a small norwegian airline found corrosion in the hydralics or something like that which has to do with the landing gear. Doesn't sound good.

Frank

According to Wikipedia (I know, bad, it's not a real good source); the grounding only applies to 60 aircraft, all of them being Q400s.   This means it's not a generic Dash 8 issue.  The Q is an emphasis on the aircraft that have the NVS, basically an ANR setup for the entire aircraft. 

I haven't heard anything about a cause at this point.

Note that it seems in the industry  100-300 aircraft are all called "Dash 8s"  while the Q400s are specifically called "Q400s."   

That said, I'd like to note that Wikipedia lists them all as "Dash 8s"  so I wasn't quite correct in assuming the Q400 was flat out considered a different type.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:41:14 AM by Baradium »
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mic

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »
It seems to come from a hiden corrosion on the landing gear actuator attachment bolt. We'll have more official details later ...
A good landing allows pilot to walk out
An excellent landing allows the plane to fly again