Author Topic: Reno Front row!!  (Read 4362 times)

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
Reno Front row!!
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:11:16 AM »
 ::cowboy:: RENO is one of the shows I MUST see..getting a case of whiplash at an event like that will just add to the experience  ::loony:: ..sorry wots that?!!?!! Can't hear ya!!  ::rofl::..BTW love this weeks strip!!!!!  ::bow:: ::bow::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
  • DammifIknow where we're going!"
Re: Reno Front row!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:58:23 AM »
Getting whiplash at Reno, is like bulging er,ah, eyes at a Hawiian Tropic beauty contest, some things just come with the fun !
A&P / IA. by profession, Parrothead by choice.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:32:10 AM »
I am afraid Chuck and the Reno race fans are seeing some fatalities this year...  Very sad news.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296742,00.html

RENO, Nev.  —  For the second time in three days, a pilot was killed in a crash Thursday at the Reno National Championship Air Races.

Brad Morehouse of Afton, Wyo., was "killed instantly" when his jet crashed about 2:45 p.m., touching off a small brush fire along the runway at Stead Airport just north of Reno, said Michael Houghton, president of the air races.

It marked the 17th fatality in the 44-year history of the races.

Morehouse, co-owner of Afton Flight Service in Wyoming, was flying an L-39 Albatross he named "Dino Juice," a jet often used for military flight training.

He was flying in the second heat of the jet class competition. He had finished fourth in Wednesday's qualifying round, reaching a maximum speed of 504 mph, race officials said.

The crash, first reported on the Reno Gazette-Journal's Web site, forced the suspension of Thursday's afternoon competition. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze.

The cause of the crash was under investigation but race officials said the initial indication was Morehouse may have gotten caught in the wake of a jet he was tailing.

Houghton said he expected the races to resume on Friday.

"I don't see any reason why they shouldn't race tomorrow," Houghton told reporters at a news conference at the airport. "That is what Brad Morehouse would have wanted us to do."

Steve Dari, a pilot from Lemon Grove, Calif., was killed when his biplane stalled shortly after takeoff during a practice run at the air races on Tuesday. His fatal crash had been the first at the races since 2002.

Craig Shelley, a longtime friend of Morehouse's, told the Gazette-Journal he heard about his death while monitoring the races from his home in Mesa, Ariz.

"He was one of the greatest human beings I've ever known," Shelley said.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:06:26 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 01:47:40 AM »
OK.  What's going on in Reno this year?  Three fatalities so far this week, after having no fatalities in five years.  This is not good...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296856,00.html

RENO, Nev.  —  Two airplanes collided today at the Reno National Championship Air Races, killing one pilot and injuring another in the third fatal crash there in the past four days.

The victim has been identified as 51-year-old Gary Hubler of Caldwell, Idaho. Race officials say he was killed in the crash shortly after 9:30 this morning.

It marks the 18th fatality in the 44-year history of the air races and has prompted the suspension of the competition the rest of today.

The pilot of the other plane involved in the crash has been identified as Jason Somes of Simi Valley, California. He has been taken to Renown Regional Medical Center where his condition is not immediately known.

The Reno Gazette-Journal is reporting on its Web site that two judges on the ground also were injured but there's no word on their condition.

Two other pilots were killed in separate accidents on Tuesday and Thursday.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:42:23 AM »
 :'( puts a serious damper on our strip . . .  I hate that!! ::knockedout::

my condolences go out to their families.

I sure hope they don't shut the races down in the future.
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 03:18:02 PM »
My condolences as well, incredible that so much happened in such a short time all of a sudden  :'(

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 03:39:32 AM »
Very sincere condolences to the friends and families of the fine pilots killed.

This is a very sad week.  I have been amazed at the number of people up here who knew Gary well, and are just heartbroken.  It is a huge loss...  and so sad to see so many people shaking their heads in disbelief.

To them.......     
Don't make me come back there!!!!