Author Topic: Australian cuisine?  (Read 11335 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Australian cuisine?
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »
This is a new one on me...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6974687.stm

Australians cook up wild cat stew 
By Phil Mercer
BBC News, Sydney 

Australians have come up with a novel solution to the millions of feral cats roaming the outback - eat them.

The felines are the descendants of domestic pets and kill millions of small native animals each year.

A recent Alice Springs contest featured wild cat casserole. The meat is said to taste like a cross between rabbit and, perhaps inevitably, chicken.

But wildlife campaigners have expressed their dismay that Australia's wild cat now finds itself on the nation's menus.

Cat stew recipe

Feral cats are one of the most serious threats to Australia's native fauna.

One of the competition judges found the meat impossibly tough and had to politely excuse herself and spit it out

They eat almost anything that moves, including small marsupials, lizards, birds and spiders.

The woman behind the controversial cat stew recipe has said Australians could do their bit to help the environment by tucking into more feral pests, including pigeons and camels.

But it was a recipe for feline casserole that impressed some of the judges at an outback food competition in Alice Springs.

Preparing this unusual stew seems simple enough.

The meat should be diced and fried until it is brown. Then lemon grass is to be added along with salt and pepper and three cups of quandong, which is a sweet desert fruit.

It is recommended that the dish be left to simmer for five hours before being garnished with bush plums and mistletoe berries.

Marinated moggie was not to everyone's taste. One of the competition judges found the meat impossibly tough and had to politely excuse herself and spit it out in a backroom.

Wild cats are considered good eating by some Aborigines, who roast the animals on an open fire.

This outback cuisine does come with a health warning.

Scientists have said that those eating wild cats could be exposed to harmful bacteria and toxins.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
Re: Australian cuisine?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
my cat was quite upset with me for even reading about this :) That is pretty nasty, but I know some cultures eat dogs (esp. black dogs) so I guess cats would be the next step. Ickyyyyyy.
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 03:53:06 PM »
In my city we have a big festival for the carnival (one month before easter). Because during that month we're not supposed to eat meat, we eat tons of souvlaki (kind of kebabs) during the festival, most of it sold in little BBQs on the street..

Strangely, there is not a single cat roaming the streets afterwards! Gets me suspicious!
It's all Greek to me!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »
Different cultures eat different things.....I lived in a Filipino neighbourhood in Hawaii for 7 years, my neighbours kept cats in a cage which strangely disappeared every time they had a Luau......  ::silly:: I was always invited, and yes, I ate what I was given. Funny thing though...they had a pet duck which is alive and kicking to this day as far as I know.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »
Sometimes, it is better not to know...
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 08:07:46 PM »
As Baradium said...new one on me...too!!!!

NOW we might eat Vegemite  ;D (YUMMO my fav) but feral cats  ??? :o ??? :o

I'll leave that to my outback mates!!!  EEWWW never know where those cats have been hope the wash them first  ::rofl:: ::loony:: ::loony::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:29:32 PM »

I'll leave that to my outback mates!!!  EEWWW never know where those cats have been hope the wash them first  ::rofl:: ::loony:: ::loony::

The Aussie version of Redneck quisine? Instead of possum?  ;D ;D
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:09:42 AM »
Different cultures eat different things.....I lived in a Filipino neighbourhood in Hawaii for 7 years, my neighbours kept cats in a cage which strangely disappeared every time they had a Luau......  ::silly:: I was always invited, and yes, I ate what I was given. Funny thing though...they had a pet duck which is alive and kicking to this day as far as I know.

G-Man, they needed to keep the duck around as a source of their favorite Filipino delicacy; Balut!   ::unbelieveable:: ::eek:: ::sick::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 05:11:19 AM »

The Aussie version of Redneck quisine? Instead of possum?  ;D ;D

Nope some eat possum here too gilly  ::) we have rednecks here, but we call 'em Bogans  :D
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 05:17:55 AM »
G-man, they needed to keep the duck around as a source of their favorite Filipino delicacy; Balut!   ::unbelieveable:: ::eek:: ::sick::

Yep, although, of all things, they kept the duck because they liked it, and not for the Balut....

For those that dont know----"Balut" is a fertilised duck egg that is almost fully developed and ready to hatch, then eaten.  ::eek::
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 05:29:48 AM »
G-man, they needed to keep the duck around as a source of their favorite Filipino delicacy; Balut!   ::unbelieveable:: ::eek:: ::sick::

Yep, although, of all things, they kept the duck because they liked it, and not for the Balut....

For those that dont know----"Balut" is a fertilised duck egg that is almost fully developed and ready to hatch, then eaten.  ::eek::

G-Man  ::sick:: ::sick:: ::sick:: EEWWWWWWWWWW!!
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »

That's it, I'm never eating foriegn food again. ::sick:: ::sick:: ::sick:: ::sick::
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 09:34:52 PM »

Actually the duck egg is allowed to develop until ready to hatch, then it is buried in sand for a number of days (I can't recall exactly how long) so the embryo is killed and ferments, then it is eaten with salt sprinkled on it.   ::sick:: ::sick:: ::sick::  Not exactly my idea of a delicacy, but to each his own!
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 10:18:07 PM »
 ::sick:: OK!!!! now i just Wikipedia'd this Balut  :o the real problem to me is not, so much, that people actually eat it, but the fact that someone actually thought the dish up!!!  ::sick:: ......  ::thinking:: Now let me see......if I leave this fertilised egg for a while and then boil it up  ::thinking:: YEAH that sounds tastey .... ::sick:: ::thinking::....NOT!!.........Where is that Feral Cat stew? That now sounds yumo compared...BUT then as my esteemed friend R/Cruiser says.."Each to his own"...just not me  ;D I'm off to have a Vegemite sandwich  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:21:10 PM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 04:03:12 AM »
Bloody hell mate! That's really gross!!

Btw, note: Wikipedia is privately made and can be edited by everyone so you can't trust nearly as much as say the Oxford Dictionary etc. One of their so-called professional editors was found to have totally lied about every degree he claimed to have. And several schools etc. have banned the use of Wikipedia as source since there have been many informations that have been totally incorrect, like historical facts etc. That being said then it's a nice concept, especially the "wikis" you can make for a personal site which is a good database for information, like on some webcomics I read, some that have also been published, including some from Australia. That reminds me, I saw some clips from Farscape and found out that the term Frell isn't from Terinu by Peta Hewitt but might be a more local Aussie term.

That being said and back on topic, I think it's a really bad idea to eat wild animals due to the massive risk of bacterias etc. Just think of mad cow where they were fed brains of other cows, that would make me mad too (I can't remember what comic I got that from sorry but it's not mine).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci