Author Topic: YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 13418 times)

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
Re: YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 12:14:48 AM »
HEY congrats guys  |:)\ , that's awesome!!!!!!!  |:)\ |:)\ |:)\ |:)\ ...pity about the  ::drinking:: and strippers though  :(
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 12:17:11 PM »
HEY congrats guys  |:)\ , that's awesome!!!!!!!  |:)\ |:)\ |:)\ |:)\ ...pity about the  ::drinking:: and strippers though  :(

All you have to do is wait a few years, then it will be fine.
If all else fails, read the directions.

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 01:50:46 PM »
Hey Congrats to both of you!  |:)\  ::bow:: You never forget your first solo ;D
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »
Now how that comes? A picture and a handshake? Thats all???? Wow, never wonder so little boys want to become piltos these days!

(told the Cessna pack about this custom, PiperGirl? ;D )
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
  • FL90...?!... Contact Houston Space Center
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
Man I remember at an old port back in Ky an entire wall covered with shirt backs from pilots first solo's. Shame it's vanishing.

Someone find these two guys and cut their shirts off, points if you do it while they're not looking.

KW

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 12:58:27 AM »
A few of the flight instructors still try to keep the tradition alive, but the powers that be at our airport think it's "In Very Bad Taste" since it destroys someone's shirt. So they get really mad at any flight instructor that does that... Still happens on the secret though! ::rambo:: Whatever! It was a great tradition
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 03:42:53 AM »
what's wrong with the world??

when I did my sailplane solo, I got spanked (Austrian tradition with the objective of the new solo pilot not being able to sit for the rest of the day)
when I started flying fixed wing, they cut off my tie
in the US they cut apart my shirt after my solo . . .

what happened with all these "traditions ??

a picture next to the plane?  . . . although part of the deal . . . it shouldn't be the only thing!  ::drinking:: ::drinking::

btw!

CONGRATS !!!!  ::wave:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::
woot woot  . . . PARTY !!!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 04:06:20 AM »
Fighter pilots in Denmark (or rather pilots from Denmark, trained in USA) gets either a tub of water in the face, or like the crown prince of Denmark a flight in a pool of water (it was filmed and shown on tv, it was an inflateable kiddie-pool lol). With all due respect, I'd just be happy that I did the solo and got the license, sorry to be a spoil-sport.

For obvious reasons I have no idea what happends for GA pilots in Denmark.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Franz

• Cockerel
  • Glider Pilot
    • Sportfluggruppe Leck
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 10:02:07 PM »
when I did my sailplane solo, I got spanked (Austrian tradition with the objective of the new solo pilot not being able to sit for the rest of the day)

We (still) have that tradition here in Germany, but its rather for calibrating the solo pilots most important instrument for detecting thermals and to enable him to endure long flights in his / her glider.  ;) :D
And, of course do not forget some water (douse) and a bouquet of nettels and thistels pressed firmly into the hand of the pilot, probably to give him / her a better feel for the stick (btw: I still got mine, allthough my solo was 5 years -2 weeks ago . . . )

I also head about that cutting shirts thing, which seems to be especially popular with female students and cutting the front part of the shirt . . .(stripper)

And most important of all, you do not have to worry about paying for beer (unless you just soloed, but then you won't mind, at least I didn't)

Red: Is it just me or is there some kind of pattern (not the traffic one)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 04:57:26 AM »
just saw this thread (again)

HA HA!!!    ;D

I LOVE how you put "2 and 2" together there, Franz! Good work!

::drinking:: ::drinking:: ::drinking::
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:00:17 AM by Mike »
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 09:38:36 PM »
Fighter pilots in Denmark (or rather pilots from Denmark, trained in USA) gets either a tub of water in the face, or like the crown prince of Denmark a flight in a pool of water (it was filmed and shown on tv, it was an inflateable kiddie-pool lol). With all due respect, I'd just be happy that I did the solo and got the license, sorry to be a spoil-sport.

Frank

I always warn my students to start wearing old shirts they don't care about when they get close to soloing.  I don't tell them when they're going to solo, just that they're getting close.  Or, they can bring in a t-shirt separately and I'll cut it up.  That way, there are no hard feelings, but the tradition can live on.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 10:02:14 PM »
To tell you the truth, I'd rather have my best t-shirt ruined. I'm gonna keep it as a trophy :) I'm thinking that it can't cost more than an hour lesson anyway.

You can always ask them what they think of the tradition early on. Or is the surprise factor also in the tradition?
It's all Greek to me!

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 03:37:25 AM »
Weeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllll I think i have said this before here, but,  I'm sssssssoooooooooo glad they didn;t cut my shirt off on my 1st solo, as i had my favorite Eric Clapton tour shirt on that day  :o :o :o kinda would have put a damper on it all  ::whistle::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

airtac

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »

Frank

I always warn my students to start wearing old shirts they don't care about when they get close to soloing.  I don't tell them when they're going to solo, just that they're getting close.  Or, they can bring in a t-shirt separately and I'll cut it up.  That way, there are no hard feelings, but the tradition can live on.

I concur about tradition living on----some Jackass threw away all the shirt tails at the Cloverdale airport when they repainted but until then it was fun to look at them and recall the memories

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 04:02:18 PM »
I think I prefer the idea of a cut shurt than a drop in the drink so to speak (the danish prince was thrown into a kiddie-pool, another documentary on danish fighterpilots in USA showed just a bucket of water over the face though). I especially like it if I can use a spare t-shirt since after a first flight then I think that T-shirt would be a bit sweaty and therefore writting probably wouldn't last very well.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci