Author Topic: Man what a break.  (Read 8139 times)

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
  • FL90...?!... Contact Houston Space Center
Man what a break.
« on: August 30, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »
Just got back to Florida after doing a few things for Uncle Sam here and there and what do I find waiting for me? Not one, but TWO Cessna 150's, an L and an M model, bought for a song (15K for the both) and enough spare parts to keep 'em flying for a while. The only catch, both have to be rebuilt and need instruments and avionics  but the engines on both aircraft are in good shape, one has zero time since overhaul. The aviation Gods have smiled on me, my blog will be a running documentary on the progress of both birds, the first to be completed by the end of next month. Wish me luck.

KW

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Re: Man what a break.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:56:42 PM »
Praise the aviation Gods!  ::bow:: And good luck to you!   |:)\ Where's your blog?

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:03:44 PM »
http://youmayfirewhenreadygrizzly.blogspot.com/

Haven't updated it yet since the road trip to TN, neither of those birds panned out, too much corrosion on one, and the other was scattered over three counties. The two that are getting rebuilt were ironically found within a stones throw of Lakeland. Timing seems to be everything in this business. Updates and photos of the first aircraft 103LE (soon to be 502KW) to follow.

KW

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
Blog Updated
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:02:55 AM »
Alright, as promised. Updated the BLOG. This will be 103LE's running reconstruction site, I'll try to keep an update going of once a week, will shoot for Tuesdays.

Cheers
KW

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 06:13:49 PM »
wow. not one but TWO 152's ?!?

that should give us endless material and you tons of new blogs you need to post!!

keep us on the up-and-up, ok?!

And congratulations!!

|:)\ ::wave::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:27:27 PM »
Hey KW, great story mate...congrats  :o 2 PLANES... ::sulk:: ...i can't even have 1...I'll keep a close eye on the progress  ;D
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:41:40 AM »
Thanks guys, will keep it coming. New character for you Mike and Stef, MIGHTY 150 PILOT!!! Or shade tree owner/operator.

KW

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:03:16 AM »
Self Plug here. Blog updated, sorry been sick and working so I've not kept up the typing. Will post pictures here as well.

KW

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:02:47 AM »
Photo's of Progress.

So Far so good. Stripping the paint on the tail surfaces next.

Before shot of the right side floor and rudder bars.

After refurbishing the rudder bars and pedal (no easy task removing or installing these suckers)

Cockpit floor before

After. Note the shiny metal instead of 30 years of gunk and hydro fluid

O-200 Engine of the GODS

Various parts after cleaning.

Clean metal Tip to Tail (internally anyway)

Sorry if this blows anyones modem to pieces or if the images are too large. Keep watching, there's a plane in this somewhere

KW

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 12:12:38 AM »
I'd personally rather want one 177 than two 150s but what the heck  8)
Interesting look at the engine. Now I understand why planes make so much noise, there's barely one single muffler/silence, if that's even what it is. Some better shapes for the exhuast manifold and a longer exhuast system like made for cars would potentially both cut down noise and increase fuel efficiency (more power+less fuel-use).
It also doesn't look like much that keeps the engine/propeller fixed to the rest of the plane!

Funny to see the pedals are offset on their base, is that noticable when using them? I thought I've seen other planes where the pedals were completely parallel but perhaps that depends on the way they're connected to the rudder.

Have fun building and flying ::wave::
Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »
Actually you don't notice the off set at all, they move back and forth in a straight line so there's no deflection left or right through your feet. The engine is, like on most Cessna's more or less held to the plain via four bolts. That's it. Same for the wings, two per side at the wing root and two more at each end of the struts. Very simple design but a pain to take apart in some locations, IE: the rudder pedals and bars.

I'd love to get my hands on a Cardinal one day, sexy as hell that bird but for now I'm content with the 150 at hand. Planning on an interesting checkered nose solid two tone fuselage and a return to the checker board at the tail and control surfaces.

KW

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
If you make a sketch, I might as well try to get it into FlightSim to have it in 3D and flyable  ;)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Bruce

• Bruce's Place
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:08:10 PM »
Interesting look at the engine. Now I understand why planes make so much noise, there's barely one single muffler/silence, if that's even what it is. Some better shapes for the exhuast manifold and a longer exhuast system like made for cars would potentially both cut down noise and increase fuel efficiency (more power+less fuel-use).
It also doesn't look like much that keeps the engine/propeller fixed to the rest of the plane!

Funny to see the pedals are offset on their base, is that noticable when using them? I thought I've seen other planes where the pedals were completely parallel but perhaps that depends on the way they're connected to the rudder.

Frank
Actuelly, note that there are two mufflers, one each side, with dual pipes.  I think you'll find that the exhaust system isn't too bad for a 200 ci engine.  Also, notice what you hear around the airport.  Most of the noise comes from the propeller.  It's sometimes hard to even hear the engine on many planes.  Just my .02 worth.  8)
Bruce
1950 Cessna 170A

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 12:40:50 AM »

Frank
Actuelly, note that there are two mufflers, one each side, with dual pipes.  I think you'll find that the exhaust system isn't too bad for a 200 ci engine.  Also, notice what you hear around the airport.  Most of the noise comes from the propeller.  It's sometimes hard to even hear the engine on many planes.  Just my .02 worth.  8)

When I was in flight training, I'd stopped by the FBO just to shoot the breeze when the owner asked me to taxi a 152 over to the maintenance hangar.  I didn't have my headset (Lightspeed 150 XL passives--great passives without killing your wallet!) with me so I decided I'd switch over to speaker and use the mic to talk to the tower.  That was when I found out how noisy a 152 was on the INSIDE!  Had a heck of a time hearing the tower even just taxiing.  I bless my headset and take it even when I'm just THINKING about airplanes! 
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 12:45:19 AM »
Doggone!!! ::unbelieveable::  And to think I flew for YEARS before I ever owned a headset!   ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall