Author Topic: Duct tape all the way ,baby!  (Read 8932 times)

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
Duct tape all the way ,baby!
« on: January 24, 2006, 03:19:05 PM »
I know that duct tape is strong ,i use it in MANY places ! (My sandwich machine ,my motorcycles exhaust.

But fixing airplane components with it..goddamn...id be scared

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
Re: Duct tape all the way ,baby!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »
You'd be amazed at what it's used for.  ;D ;D

There's a reason why people call it "speed" tape...  :o ;D
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 03:40:13 PM »
Ahhh ,i remembered! I used it to hold the Altitude meter on my hand :D

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 04:10:43 PM »
There is an aluminum tape which we actually called "speed tape" like Sleek said.
That stuff is great!
I have seen (and done) some field repairs with it that work and look better than the
sheet-metal repair that followed. And a little speed tape on a cowling is not a big deal
in my eyes. (as long as I don't find it on my turbine, heh heh)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 07:03:16 PM »
The next moment Mike's plane has its rotor taped together with aluminium tape :)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 01:54:40 AM »
Actually, my mechanic the last two season did a tour in Vietnam as crew chief and he said they used aluminum tape to cover up bullet holes in a pinch . . .even on the Huey rotor blades!
Speaks for the tape, huh?!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:40:47 AM »
With Duct tape and locking wire one can bring back to base any aircraft. Magic tools those two, I can tell you
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 02:03:11 PM »
Actually, my mechanic the last two season did a tour in Vietnam as crew chief and he said they used aluminum tape to cover up bullet holes in a pinch . . .even on the Huey rotor blades!
Speaks for the tape, huh?!

I have flown a huey :D i wasnt the pilot nor co - pilot ,we just wanted to fly and the British government granted our wish...thank you...thank you *sniff* that thing is massive though...truly earns the nickname : Huey GUNship

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 05:09:19 PM »
They even have variants of the "speed tape" for fixed wing military applications.  Including for stealth aircraft!

It's been published in Aviation and Defense Weekly, so I don't think the black choppers will hover over my house when I mention RAM tape.  RAM = Radar Absorptive Material, and yes, they use it to do quick patches on aircraft, especially carrier based aircraft, for quick turn arounds.  Of course, with composite materials, a fix for a bullet hole is a bit more involved than with aluminum skins, so this lets them patch up the minor stuff quickly while maintaining low radar profile capability.
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 09:52:57 PM »
They even have variants of the "speed tape" for fixed wing military applications.  Including for stealth aircraft!

It's been published in Aviation and Defense Weekly, so I don't think the black choppers will hover over my house when I mention RAM tape.  RAM = Radar Absorptive Material, and yes, they use it to do quick patches on aircraft, especially carrier based aircraft, for quick turn arounds.  Of course, with composite materials, a fix for a bullet hole is a bit more involved than with aluminum skins, so this lets them patch up the minor stuff quickly while maintaining low radar profile capability.

So they will be flying AND repairing bulletholes with DUCT TAPE....long live simple technology!

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »

So they will be flying AND repairing bulletholes with DUCT TAPE....long live simple technology!

Not only bullet holes! These are easy tasks. You will find duct tape repair on places where you even don’t know they exist. Of course it is extremely illegal, but for a short time 8whatever that is) it works on many places.
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

fireflyr

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 04:32:40 PM »
Surely, Stryker, you must be kidding--- a radar absobtive tape?
Can you tell us about it without having to kill us afterward?

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »
Surely, Stryker, you must be kidding--- a radar absobtive tape?
Can you tell us about it without having to kill us afterward?

Eh, no... not kidding.  It's a very specialized kind of tape with special coatings.  And that's about all I can say before the black helicopters would be paying a visit... sorry.

If you are curious about it, the best I can do is direct you to Defense Weekly, or Jane's regarding the F/A-18 E/F rollout when the fellow on the team for the plane was interviewed.

And yes... this stuff does exist... and it works quite well. 
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

fireflyr

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 09:13:45 PM »
I thought you'd rise to the bait and reply with; "No, I'm not kidding---and don't call me Shirley"

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 09:51:13 PM »
 ;D  Darn!!!  I missed that one!