Author Topic: Overseas Job Offers  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Overseas Job Offers
« on: July 09, 2007, 05:31:14 PM »
Man, was I ever tempted this past week!  A friend called me and asked if I would be interested in a job in India.  He told me about the excellent pay and bennies (free medical for me and my family, housing and servants provided, car and driver provided).  So I said yes I would be interested.  I met with the two fellas who were anxiously looking for someone to fill their position, and I did as much checking on their company as possible and found it to all be legit.  But when I started digging further into the details of living in India, the less appealing it sounded for a family with small children.  I asked a buddy that used to fly there for NWA regularly whether he would take his family there, and he replied instantly with an emphatic "NO". 

To make a long story short, if I was single or if I had no kids I'd have gone in a heartbeat.  But I cannot guarentee I could keep my children safe from the diseases filth and pollution, so I had to pass.  I know I made the right decision, but I am regretting the missed opportunity... it would have been such an adventure and I could have lived like a king there!  Have any other pilots here been tempted by such an offer?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:38:24 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
Re: Overseas Job Offers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:37:16 PM »
Hey Rooster,

Probably a good decision, unfortunately.  I haven't traveled to India but the amount of sick friends I have had on return from there is huge, also nearly lost my Father-in-Law to illness whilst he was over there on a contract.  Pity about the job opportunity though, but I agree with you, rather keep the kids safe!!

::thinking::  BUT HEY my school needs another instructor if you wanna live over here!!!  ::drinking::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:00:54 PM »
Hey Rooster,

Probably a good decision, unfortunately.  I haven't traveled to India but the amount of sick friends I have had on return from there is huge, also nearly lost my Father-in-Law to illness whilst he was over there on a contract.  Pity about the job opportunity though, but I agree with you, rather keep the kids safe!!

::thinking::  BUT HEY my school needs another instructor if you wanna live over here!!!  ::drinking::

Is Kelly quiting? ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek::
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:53:33 PM »
I seriously doubt I'll be as good looking as this Kelly chick with my beer gut, but what the heck.  Hehe.   ::whistle:: ::whistle::

airtac

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 05:21:28 AM »
Keep working on the beer gut Rooster and soon you'll qualify for an airtanker.......................most helicpter pilots are skinny little s***s  (No offense meant Mike)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:20:11 AM »
the excellent pay and bennies (free medical for me and my family, housing and servants provided, car and driver provided). 

These experiences can be done when you do not have a family I presume. You can have a lot of benefits, but when you need a real life quality standard then there is none. Having children, you choose for the best.  |:)\
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:54:40 PM »
Thanks for the input, Happy.  I like to say that it was a Peach of a job opportunity that fell into my lap.  However it turned out to be an overripe peach. ::sick::

I kept thinking how I'd ever justify it if one of my little ones contracted Dysentery, Malaria, Dengue Fever, Typhoid Fever, Plague, Yellow Fever, Asthma, or any of the maladies associated with the thick air pollution of New Delhi.  Nope, better for me to stay here and see to the welfare of the next generation.  Plus, I'm not one to commute halfway around the world.  I want to see my kids as often as I can, and coming home every 8 weeks or so for a few days just wouldn't cut it.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 07:23:50 PM »
Good for you, man.  I sometimes wonder if more people shouldn't have that attitude.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 05:06:06 PM »
Well, here we go again!  My work situation has really sucked this past year.  It seems that every job situation I have had during this downturn has been with some type of used car salesman.  Man, I hate not being paid!!!   ::complaining: ::banghead:: ::rambo::

I have been negotiating with a headhunter about a position in India again.  Two years after I posted this topic, and man what a difference two years can make!  Back then I had a great job... now I have no job and really no prospect of a real job.  A 12 month contract over there looks very promising now.

I am still looking to take my family.  My kids are older and I think their immune systems are strong enough for the place.  My wife is all for it too.  If this actually happens, I will probably leave San Diego around mid-July.  Mama and the kids will follow in October.  This will give me plenty of time to set up an apt over there and become acclimated.

Foolhardy?  Maybe.  But its either do this or go back to driving a truck, which pays less than unemployment does.  I found that out 3 months ago when I went back over the road for 3 weeks.  I'm too old to switch careers, so if I'm going to stay in aviation I guess I'll have to go through with this.

RC

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »
Good luck man.  I'm actually jealous that you get to go and see new things and experience the world.  I'll be stuck in my bunker in Auburn for the next 25 years.  ::banghead::
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »
Foolhardy?  Maybe.  But its either do this or go back to driving a truck, which pays less than unemployment does.  I found that out 3 months ago when I went back over the road for 3 weeks.  I'm too old to switch careers, so if I'm going to stay in aviation I guess I'll have to go through with this.

RC

I was talking with a buddy of mine last night who drives for Werner and he was telling me about all the cut backs and layoffs not to mention the benefits and pay cuts. he's looking to change companies to an outfit based in N or S Carolina. He had also said that the trucking industry is down by almost half from what it was a few years ago, the economy and all.

Good luck with the India deal. Moving is always a pain in the empanage but around the world?! ::knockedout:: my hat's off to you! |:)\
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »
There are still contract jobs as well, but that requires very long times away from family.

Captain I was flying with earlier this week was telling me about an outfit he'd checked in to that does mid level altitude patrol (20k-25k feet) over Iraq with Beech 1900s.  Cameras mounted and they just watch for insurgents and report positions.  He was saying they don't even get shot at much anymore.  Pay was 150k /year but you're on a 3month/ 1 month rotation.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Chopper Doc

• Cockerel
  • Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:05:41 PM »
Check with your local travel medical advisors (or with CDC) to ask what health threats are prevalent where you will be living, take the prophylactic steps, and take your kids for an adventure if the risks are manageable.  If the job works out, great, if not, then you've enriched their lives and broadened their minds.

Near as I can tell, we only get one go-round on this dirtball, so I say make the most of it. 
"I keep a bottle of stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."
  - WC Fields

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
JOB IS CANCELLED!!![/b]

::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead::
What more can I say?  I found out today what happened.  Apparently I was being approached because some guy over yonder was returning to the USA and he said he was quitting.  Now the story is being passed to me that he went home and is now begging them to take him back.  I am guessing he came home and found out just how awful the US pilot job market is right now and decided that maybe India wasn't too bad a place after all.

<Deep Breath>  OK.  I got that out of my system.  Now, who needs a CFI?   ???

RC

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »
Not sure if they are hiring but shoot a resume to hr@flyheritage.com. This is the company where I used to work line service.

Fleet is 4 King Air C-90's, Citation Encore, 2 Citation Excell's and a Challenger 604.

Can also call the toll free number 1.800.782.0773  and Ask for Greg Bean. He's the Chief Pilot.

Brian

PS:

I know they are looking for a Line Service Manager right now. Salary, $35-45,000 a year

http://www.jobsinvt.com/seek/resultdetail.aspx?jobnum=488357

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."