Author Topic: FAA looking for Chuck  (Read 6761 times)

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
  • DammifIknow where we're going!"
FAA looking for Chuck
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:47:11 PM »
Fair trade for the "hiccup remedy", I'd say.
A&P / IA. by profession, Parrothead by choice.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Re: FAA looking for Chuck
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 02:50:45 PM »
I don't think there is a single US pilot that wouldn't do the same thing as Chuck!  Hehe 
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:06:23 PM »
Same thing goes for us maintenance types !   ::eek::  ::whistle::

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 03:50:53 AM »
You guys are funny!

This strip was actually inspired by Chris Hartnell, one of the main pilots who fly for the San Diego Fire Department. He's a really good and very funny guy. I saw him out working on his 212 with the guys and came down to say "hi" but I told him "Hey Chris, there's an inspector in my office who said he wanted to speak to the PIC of this aircraft!" (he just flew in the day before and wasn't sure of our local customs so he called ahead....VNY is still the busiest airport in the nation)
He just made a "woosh" sound yelled "ok, bye" and pretended to run away for a minute.....

We had a good laugh and suddenly the little lightbulb in my head went on and I ran right back up to draw the strip!  ;)

This is how they happen!
Not a bad story, huh?!

We should do a VH-1 "behind the scenes" TV special about this huh?!    ....    HA HA
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »
I wondered about that. Some of the strangest stuff happens in the course of a normal days' work.

I once worked for a small FBO that had a rather "different" way of managing the F.A.A. When the F.A.A. guy was scheduled to show up ,the D.O.M. had an extremely attractive young woman come in and hang around his office,dressed in a micro mini skirt ,stiletto heels ,and a silky top that was open almost to her navel. To say she was stunning is a MAJOR understatement.( As far as I know he never failed to pass a check.)

For safety's' sake, when she passed through the hangar,(which she did frequently) we would stop whatever we were doing till she had been gone for a few minutes,until our concentration was refocused again. Funny thing, some folks always seemed to be on creepers doing under wing work on those days........   ::thinking::

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:49:06 PM »
        I once worked for a small FBO that had a rather "different" way of managing the F.A.A. When the F.A.A. guy was scheduled to show up ,the D.O.M. had an extremely attractive young woman come in and hang around his office,dressed in a micro mini skirt ,stiletto heels ,and a silky top that was open almost to her navel. To say she was stunning is a MAJOR understatement.( As far as I know he never failed to pass a check.)

Was that the D.O.M. or just the "Don"... >:D

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 01:57:25 AM »
The Director Of Maintenance. The Grand Poobah in any F.B.O.s' maintenance department. Genuflecting in his direction is required .  ::bow:: Normally he SHOULD be the most experienced Mechanic in the whole operation. Ask your local F.A.A. field office what it takes to become a D.O.M. ::banghead:: ,then ask them why they only hang that sword above the D.O.M.s' head with a single hair .... ::eek:: 

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 03:53:16 AM »
Oh Snap!!  What's he done now.....
Crazy birds....
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 06:26:35 PM »
It sucks to show up in the morning to find the brightly colored ramp check cards stuck on the airplanes... only to find that it was the inspector's ignorance that issued the card.
On one occasion, he failed planes for low tires when the planes were obviously sitting on a dip in the ramp surface. I had to hurriedly rush out to check 'em and get them signed off as we'd missed out on a few hours of rentals at that point. The tires were fine, by the way.

Of course, being the FAA, they are in no way liable for their own mistakes. After all, they're here to help... right?
 ::banghead::

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »
Dip in the ramp ,or on the ramp ?  ::thinking:: Oh wait it's the F.A.A. we're talking about here ....it's the same thing !  ;) ;)

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 07:57:48 PM »
Think I am becoming happy for having CA over here :D
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
It sucks to show up in the morning to find the brightly colored ramp check cards stuck on the airplanes... only to find that it was the inspector's ignorance that issued the card.
On one occasion, he failed planes for low tires when the planes were obviously sitting on a dip in the ramp surface. I had to hurriedly rush out to check 'em and get them signed off as we'd missed out on a few hours of rentals at that point. The tires were fine, by the way.

Of course, being the FAA, they are in no way liable for their own mistakes. After all, they're here to help... right?
 ::banghead::

yeah, we had one up here who tried grounding several planes because of shoulder harness installations that were only PMA'ed not TSO'ed, even though some were installed under STC and the FAA home office had just sent out letters to all pilots and mechanics saying any shoulder harness was better than none, so only a log book entry was needed.  You'd think a safty inspector would be required to have at least an A&P certificate, if not an IA.

That said, we've got some really great guys in the local FSDO now that have been really helpful to a lot of people, myself included.  It's just the rotten ones that produce the memorable stories.  ;D

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 11:58:37 AM »
Amen to that .

::loony:: My wife keeps telling me that I ought to go to work for the F.A.A.   I keep telling her that I don't want to work for "the dark side".( Let alone wear that black body armor,that dumb cape,and say things like "Luke,I am your father".) Dumb stuff, hmmm......."Hi, I'm from the F.A.A. & I'm here to help you."  Duhhhh.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »
I have seen some pretty normal guys go there and when they get back from Oklahoma they are different.

I wonder if the brainwash them there a little . . .  ::thinking::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

airtac

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »
I have seen some pretty normal guys go there and when they get back from Oklahoma they are different.

I wonder if the brainwash them there a little . . .  ::thinking::

Oklahoma City is where the X-files were filmed-------------just coincidence?----I think not ::eek::