Author Topic: Ring Finger vs. Index Finger --- Where do You Fall?  (Read 12257 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Ring Finger vs. Index Finger --- Where do You Fall?
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:07:06 AM »
I heard on the radio today, about a study comparing abilities in math and English, to the length of your ring finger vs. your index finger.  Shorter ring fingers in children in some study somewhere, were tied to better ability in English, and longer ring fingers were tied to better performance in math areas.

So, where do you come out folks?!?  This applies to adults as well, or so they state.  I'm curious, because mine are backwards (Yeah, I know -- big surprise!!!).....

Is this true?!?    ::thinking::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Ring Finger vs. Index Finger --- Where do You Fall?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:13:38 AM »
I heard on the radio today, about a study comparing abilities in math and English, to the length of your ring finger vs. your index finger.  Shorter ring fingers in children in some study somewhere, were tied to better ability in English, and longer ring fingers were tied to better performance in math areas.

So, where do you come out folks?!?  This applies to adults as well, or so they state.  I'm curious, because mine are backwards (Yeah, I know -- big surprise!!!).....

Is this true?!?    ::thinking::

How can you be backwards in an "either or" type of situation?

IE, one is longer... it doesn't say which one has to be longer.  ;)
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:21:49 AM »
Naw, read the inference....  one is longer and it's the opposite of what they say..  that's why I'm curious!!!!!!!!!    :-X

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:18:22 AM »
But you aren't going to tell us what your's is?   ;)

Longer ring finger here.  I'm not an English fan and I am fairly good at math.  However, I'm not exactly bad at English... at least not when I'm paying attention.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

airtac

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 09:09:30 AM »
Certainly true here--shorter ring finger and I was an English major simply because it was so easy ::whistle:: -- theoretical math was beyond comprehension ::loony::
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 01:22:38 PM by airtac »

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 09:41:25 AM »
Eh... What do I do if they are equall? ::)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
Hey, neat answers...   Airtac, I didn't know you were an English major!!  Awesome DUDE.  (Oh wait, that's not really English, is it?)   ;)

I just wondered...  my fingers should be the other way 'round, I think..  English was easy but math was like breathing... I even managed to be the only kid in one math class...  they had run out of curriculum, and a nice physics teacher made up a class just for me...   I know, I know, it's hard to believe, when I am always counting gallons of fuel on my fingers....  DUH...    ::rofl::

Oh, one article said if they were equal length, it did mean you had equal aptitude in math / English...  they said the test results showed that, also.  So, Fabo, you must be equally talented!!!!    :D

8) 

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 07:57:26 PM »
Oh, one article said if they were equal length, it did mean you had equal aptitude in math / English...  they said the test results showed that, also.  So, Fabo, you must be equally talented!!!!    :D

8) 

That would fit I think... though I still think I am littlebit better in English than maths.

It just got into my mind... does it count for Slovak/Maths or what if I am native Slovak speaker, not English...  ::)
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:39:23 PM »
This just means you are even more talented -- additional languages!!!  (Do you have 12 fingers, perhaps??)   ::bow::

airtac

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 01:42:12 AM »

8) 

That would fit I think... though I still think I am littlebit better in English than maths.

It just got into my mind... does it count for Slovak/Maths or what if I am native Slovak speaker, not English...  ::)
Just means language abilities versus math skills.............

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 04:52:16 PM »

8) 

Just means language abilities versus math skills.............

Well... I like momes explanation better :)

never mind...

mom: I have 11 in fact... count with me on my hands... left one: 10-9-8-7-6 +5 on right - thats eleven! (sounds muuch better when I speak and show  ;D |:)\ )

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
Ha ha, that is too funny!!!!  You ARE talented!   ::bow::

That made me laugh....  thanks!!!    ::wave::

S'Mom**

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
My ring finger is slightly longer.  I hate math/chemistry/physics with a passion.  I barely passed my calc class in college.  However, I do very well in english/tech writing etc.   ::thinking::
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 05:48:45 AM »
Ha ha, that is too funny!!!!  You ARE talented!   ::bow::

That made me laugh....  thanks!!!    ::wave::

S'Mom**

Well, it is not made by me, but anyway, I am glad you liked it  ::wave::

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 06:06:43 AM »
UH OH...think I'm in trouble here.. ::drinking::...on my left hand both ring and index are they same length, and then I close my right eye, hey I can count to 5  ::drinking::
THEN on my right hand my ring finger is longer, so if I close my left eye I can spell Ornithorhynchus (that's a Platypus for you non-marsupial owners :)::drinking:: but when I open both eyes and look at both hands  ::drinking::  everything is a lot harder to 5pe11 and c0un71ng is r311y hard.... but if i wrap both hands around this cold bottle here....
::complaining: OH NEVER MIND.... I think I'm just as airtac once told me......irreverent  :D :D  ::drinking::

::sulk:: ::sulk:: ::drinking::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww