Author Topic: Bird (Chuck????) Strike  (Read 6384 times)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
Re: Bird (Chuck????) Strike
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »
WOW!!! I agree Brian..total professionalism  ::bow:: ::bow:: |:)\

An Chuck style flying on the Bird's behalf  :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:22:35 PM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 03:42:27 AM »
I saw this video recently on another forum.  Good job to the flight crew for reacting correctly per procedure to an engine failure right after V1.   ::bow::

While I am nearly a double-ace when it comes to bird strikes (my count is sitting around 10), my most memorable was #7.  Oct 10 2003 saw me flying a T210 on a night VFR charter flight from KSFD to KABR.  I was cruising comfortably on a moonless night at 3500ft MSL and chatting amiably with my passenger when there was an enormous BANG that I felt through the airframe into my butt.  A quick check of my engine instruments saw nothing wrong, but I couldn't help myself saying out loud, "What the F**k was that?!?"  My passenger speechlessy pointed out the right side as if to say that the source of the bang occured there.  I grabbed my flashlight and pointed the beam out the right window.  To my dismay, I had a 2 foot section of my right wing leading edge flattened to the main spar about 5 feet away from the fuselage!  The flat spot was actually around 8 inches thick, as opposed to being a nice curved aerodynamic surface.  I immediately switched my fuel selector over to the left tank, and I said to my passenger, "Hunh...  it looks like we hit a bird."  I did notice that we had lost about 20kts of indicated airspeed, no doubt due to the added drag of the new flat spot on my right wing, and she certainly felt funny in the flight controls.  I added some left rudder trim to compensate for the added drag and looked for my nearest landing field.  It was nearby, but as I continued northwest I concluded that my right fuel tank had not been punctured and I elected to continue on to my destination.

I made a no-flap landing at KABR (I didn't want to play test pilot!) without event, although I certainly had to use a great deal of left aileron to compensate for the loss of lift on my right wing.  We pushed the airplane into a hangar so we could inspect the damage, and I concluded that we had hit a Canadian Goose.  Bits and pieces of the bird and its feathers were spattered along the fuselage from the right-side door all the way to the empennage.  It was from the feather pieces that we concluded it was a Honker.

Afterwards, I had to marvel at the fact that considering geese always travel in flocks, I had only hit one!  I sometimes still wonder:  What happened to his buddies?  They had to have been all around me, dodging me, and I didn't take one through the windshield.

The other thing I had to ask myself (and to answer the FAA on my birdstrike report) was what could I do differently in the future to prevent another occurance?  My conclusion was to (1 Fly Higher, or (2 Have a landing light on at all times.  My employer at the time always admonished us pilots against using the landing lights at anytime other than a night landing.  He pointed out that those landing lights were only good for 50hrs of operation, and cost plenty to replace.  However, I wonder to this day whether the use of a $75.00 landing light might have prevented this incident that cost $15,000.00 to repair?

I realize that none of this stuff compares remotely to what that 757 crew had to go through when they ingested a bird on takeoff, but I thought I would share my experience for everyone here to digest.
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:24:25 AM »
Very impressive, great pilot and controller there.

Kinda weird he landed it with full fuel, I know with a lot of the larger jets (especially as that was a 753 i think), the max gross take off is more than the landing gross. 
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 06:22:47 PM »

Kinda weird he landed it with full fuel, I know with a lot of the larger jets (especially as that was a 753 i think), the max gross take off is more than the landing gross. 

Well.. those limits are set for normal operations... you have no time to fiddle with jettisoning in these conditions. Rather land heavy and risk moderate damage to landing gear but safety to pax then risk avoiding overweight landing whilst risking pax lives.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:08:27 AM »

Depends on how heavy the load is and how long of a trip they were going to determine whether they would have needed to dump any fuel.   Sometimes you don't have time... I havn't had a chance to watch the video yet myself.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:36:16 AM »
Bird strikes are so dangerous!  I've had only one -- (knock on wood) -- I hit an owl on takeoff.  The poor bird put a large dent in the leading edge of the wing of the C-172.

I was just looking through an accident database for the Twin Otter.  There's an accident listed from 1990, and all is says is: 

"The aircraft ditched into the sea after a bird strike."   Twenty of the 22 people onboard died.   

There are many tragic stories such as this one.  It's a sad truth that our fellow aviators can be so deadly.      |:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 01:56:38 AM »
One of our King Air's had a bird strike Thursday night..... had a small bird hit the FO's windshield, no damage but I had a bit of a mess to clean off the glass ::sick::

I know a guy who had a Deer strike in a 172 on landing..... Venison stew anyone??? Not to mention the new prop and engine overhaul to go with it

Brian
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 01:58:10 AM by BrianGMFS »

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 02:03:16 AM »
I forgot, we did hit a duck with a 200...  cracked the whole windshield, scared us pretty good as it was in blackest night..  we assumed it was a duck, anyway.  (Sorry, TM!!!!)

I can't even IMAGINE a DEER!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow.   ::eek::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 02:56:20 AM »
I forgot, we did hit a duck with a 200...  cracked the whole windshield, scared us pretty good as it was in blackest night..  we assumed it was a duck, anyway.  (Sorry, TM!!!!)

I can't even IMAGINE a DEER!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow.   ::eek::

Hey!  ::eek::  ::eek::  ::eek::  ::eek::  ::eek::  ::eek::  ::eek::  ::unbelieveable::  ::unbelieveable::  ::unbelieveable::  ::unbelieveable::  ::unbelieveable::
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 04:40:02 AM »
Back in Murfreesboro they had a deer total an airplane... and still run away. 

I had a bird strike in a 152 once on short final.   I think it actually hit the nose gear.  It did make a rather good "thump" when it hit, so I know it didn't just get missed.  Didn't have any damage though...

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 06:29:37 AM »

Depends on how heavy the load is and how long of a trip they were going to determine whether they would have needed to dump any fuel.   Sometimes you don't have time... I havn't had a chance to watch the video yet myself.

Well it was a 743 from IAD to China, so I would assume that it was fulley loaded. 

*Edit.... nvm, im dumb.....  Im thinking of the 747 that just lost an engine the other day taking off from IAD to China.....  Been a long day....

The plane in the video is a 752 out of Manchester, UK.  So it could be going anywhere.  Thomson is  UK airline based outta Manchester, so it could be going almost anywhere in Europe.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 06:40:54 AM by undatc »
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...