Author Topic: Frank: Condor  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Frank: Condor
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:26:57 PM »
Yesterday was Condor's first flight for the year.  They operate direct Copenhagen - Fairbanks flights during the summer.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Frank: Condor
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:44:59 PM »
wow, I didn't even know such a route existed, especially not now. What kind of plane is that flying there?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:29:19 AM »
wow, I didn't even know such a route existed, especially not now. What kind of plane is that flying there?

Frank

Looked to be a 767.   That's what made me do a double take when it was coming in actually.   We were taxiiing to the gate and I was thinking "that sure looks like a 767 to me from here... but Alaska is the only twin jet that comes in around this time of the day... and all they have is 737s..."

Northwest has a few daily flights with 75s and 76s right now but they are afternoon and evening.  Delta's comes in during the middle of the night.

Apparently they come in every summer, I just didn't remember seeing them last year.

JAL only comes in during the winter... but *they* do it with 747s.  Crazy Japanese and their superstitions about the northern lights.  ;)

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:53:16 PM »
My question is why?  There cant be much of a market for that large of a plane.  Unless its just a lay over and the plane continues on to somewhere else.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »
My question is why?  There cant be much of a market for that large of a plane.  Unless its just a lay over and the plane continues on to somewhere else.

Can't be much of a market, huh?   Making some assumptions are we?  ;)

You were very non specific about what aircraft you're talking about.   That means I can either just ignore your question ;)  or answer every one I can think of.    Please quote the sentence(s) you want to ask about next time!

Delta has multiple daily flights to Anchorage and a daily flight to Fairbanks during the summer.    Northwest has 2 or 3 flights a day of 757s and maybe a 767 during the summer.

Plenty of tourism travel during summer to cover all the aircraft and it's no surprise Condor comes in.

As far as JAL?    A 747 comes in during winter about once a week.  Direct Tokyo-Fairbanks.   And yes, the entire purpose of that aircraft is to go to Fairbanks and then back to Tokyo, it is not going anywhere else.

Why during winter?   That's the big tourist season for the Japanese to come to Alaska.   They are very superstitious and the northern lights play a large role in the superstitions.  It's... good luck... to... concieve... beneath the northern lights...   

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »
Yea, shoulda been more specific  ::banghead::, I was talking about Denmark to Fairbanks on a 767.  Which I can think of two possibilities, 1)I've underestimated Denmark's interest in tourism in AK, or 2) its an intermediate stop for the plane.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 08:30:40 PM »
Yea, shoulda been more specific  ::banghead::, I was talking about Denmark to Fairbanks on a 767.  Which I can think of two possibilities, 1)I've underestimated Denmark's interest in tourism in AK, or 2) its an intermediate stop for the plane.

Number 1.

It's a seasonal flight.  If it was a normal intermediate stop, it's not too likely it'd suddenly start in the summer.  ;)

Nevermind that the only place they go to from Fairbanks is Copenhagen.   If it was an intermediate stop there would be *two* destinations from Fairbanks!

And if you consider it an intermediate stop for going back to Copenhagen... well that's what we call a direct flight.  ;)