Author Topic: uvsc?  (Read 30859 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: uvsc?
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2007, 04:34:09 PM »
I would suggest you to have a look at vatsim.net, its counterpart used more in Europe is frequently staffed by real-life ATCOs, so I would say it is not that bad experience. And you can practically use it for free, as you only need free ATC software emulating radar screen.

I've actually used vatsim, and although the software and interface is nice, the people using it aren't of the same quality.  Our professors discourage us from using it, as they dont use actual seperation standards (most of the time they just use visual seperation for IFR traffic which isn't good enough) and their phraseology is horriable for the most part.  I'm sure I'll probably get into it after I graduate in the fall, as that would be the only way I can practice till I get shipped to OKC.

Will they let alums use the sims to stay current?  Or are you moving home for a while?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2007, 06:52:38 PM »
I would suggest you to have a look at vatsim.net, its counterpart used more in Europe is frequently staffed by real-life ATCOs, so I would say it is not that bad experience. And you can practically use it for free, as you only need free ATC software emulating radar screen.

I've actually used vatsim, and although the software and interface is nice, the people using it aren't of the same quality.  Our professors discourage us from using it, as they dont use actual seperation standards (most of the time they just use visual seperation for IFR traffic which isn't good enough) and their phraseology is horriable for the most part.  I'm sure I'll probably get into it after I graduate in the fall, as that would be the only way I can practice till I get shipped to OKC.

Well, it is true that I have almost no idea of VATSIM controllers quality, since quite all experience I ahve around the US is two uncontrolled flights, but we use quite very real-like procedures in IVAO-SK.. so you might also take a look at www.ivao.aero/us , I am sure they will be happy to have real*life ATCO between them (and it could actually get me to fly to America some time finally :) )
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2007, 10:38:15 PM »
I'm sure there are dedicated real-to-life ATC's out there but I don't know where since I've never flown online.

This discussions reminds me of the FS commercial with a guy in a pilot uniform asking for clearence at a FS airport and he gets it from a german mother that had to chase her kids out first and then she gave clearence to a virtual stuntpilot there as well and the commercial ends with the guy in the uniform being interrupted by another guy in a uniform saying: You know you're in a real aircraft right? And he replies: Yeah but this is cooler. I tried to find it online but I can't for some reason despite several attempts, maybe it was withdrawn?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
I'm sure there are dedicated real-to-life ATC's out there but I don't know where since I've never flown online.

This discussions reminds me of the FS commercial with a guy in a pilot uniform asking for clearence at a FS airport and he gets it from a german mother that had to chase her kids out first and then she gave clearence to a virtual stuntpilot there as well and the commercial ends with the guy in the uniform being interrupted by another guy in a uniform saying: You know you're in a real aircraft right? And he replies: Yeah but this is cooler. I tried to find it online but I can't for some reason despite several attempts, maybe it was withdrawn?

Frank

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A4e0-CqeiuM

maaaany copies still spreading around :)

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

Frank

Sounds like an awesome commercial.

Well, it is true that I have almost no idea of VATSIM controllers quality, since quite all experience I ahve around the US is two uncontrolled flights, but we use quite very real-like procedures in IVAO-SK.. so you might also take a look at www.ivao.aero/us , I am sure they will be happy to have real*life ATCO between them (and it could actually get me to fly to America some time finally :) )

True, thou im not an atcer yet, just want to be.  Need to survive a few more classes and I'm done in December (aerospace law, airport planning and management, advanced tower and radar operations, oh yea, and geography of Canada.......)
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A4e0-CqeiuM

maaaany copies still spreading around :)

Great commercial, the whole time in thinking in my head, PHRASEOLOGY!!!!!!!!! ::banghead::

-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2007, 12:52:08 PM »
Well, it is an commercial... you can expect such. But if it is like this on their network in real, I would rather take out an MG21 and shoot down those people - and dont even feel guilty  ::eek:: ::loony::

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2007, 02:03:41 PM »
Well, it is an commercial... you can expect such. But if it is like this on their network in real, I would rather take out an MG21 and shoot down those people - and dont even feel guilty  ::eek:: ::loony::

I would probably pay to see that  ::rofl::

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 02:06:23 PM »

Will they let alums use the sims to stay current?  Or are you moving home for a while?

I plan on moving back to Seattle while I wait for my slot.  Cost of living for me at least will be a lot cheaper, and there are better jobs for me out there too.  If I stayed here, I'd most likely keep working for Papa Johns, and maybe pick something else up, but I wouldnt be able to actually make any money to live on.  Which I'll need when im in OKC as they only pay about 8 bucks an hour while youre down there.  But yes they do let you use the sims, I'll probably try to pop back for a bit before I go down if its for any real length of time.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »
Ah there it is! Thank you for posting it, I tried several different keywords but didn't find it. Oh man that's even crazier than I remembered it. Oh and you may fire when ready :D Heck I might jump into a F-14A and join you!  ::rofl::

I wonder if some people actually do scream like that in internet bars? I've never been in one although they do exist here.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci