Author Topic: Hiccups  (Read 11867 times)

airtac

Re: Hiccups
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 01:16:47 AM »
Well put, Airtac!  There is a LOT going on...  communications being a huge part of the workload...  throw in bad air, thunderstorms, lots of airplanes and helicopters all in the same spot...  ahh, they wonder why we have grey hair....   ::rofl:: 
Who's got grey hair????   Still mostly blonde thank you, er, ah, everywhere ::)

You're right about the commo though and what's funny is to get a control freak (several come to mind) who can't delegate anything and just sit mum while he flounders around and finally when he screws up enough, I'll direct traffic away from a conflict, THEN tell him about it and watch him/her eat some humble pie  ;)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 03:36:51 PM »
Thanks, Jim.  And Mary.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 05:49:34 AM »

To be frank, I flew one because I was paid very well

Why are you trying to be Frank?   We already have one.  If we have too many Franks it'll get a bit confusing....

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 05:50:27 AM »
Well put, Airtac!  There is a LOT going on...  communications being a huge part of the workload...  throw in bad air, thunderstorms, lots of airplanes and helicopters all in the same spot...  ahh, they wonder why we have grey hair....   ::rofl:: 

I thought pilots got grey hair by not being bold...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

airtac

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 06:17:38 AM »

I thought pilots got grey hair by not being bold...
HA! I'm proof that ain't always so

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 12:01:22 PM »
Hey cool, if grey hair is the badge of experience then I'll look like a veteran from the get-go when I start  8) :D

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

airtac

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 03:50:57 PM »
Hey cool, if grey hair is the badge of experience then I'll look like a veteran from the get-go when I start  8) :D

Frank

To look like REAL veteran you need bags under the eyes from waiting long hours in wierd airports and antiacid tablets in your shirt pocket to treat the heartburn caused by drinking old airport coffee  :P(in addition to the grey hair) ----and a bit of pot belly adds to the effect! ;)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 11:22:46 PM »
Uh,sorry 'bout the ranting & raving.  ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: Sometimes I do what the little voices in my head tell me to. Usually I end up like you just saw. Thanks for putting up with my  ::complaining: ::complaining: ::knockedout::

hey, no worries! This forum is all about ranting and raving!  ;)  ;D
I just wasn't sure if I understood you correctly. btw . . . who was that brave and daring pilot you wrote about ?? a certain bear who can dance maybe ?   ;)

I am really interested on what Jim has to say though, because the "Julio-hating-the-337-and-Chuck-loving-it" theme WILL come up again !
Gee Mike,
You've kind of put me on the spot--having to explain my prejudices against the 337
As far as normal  flying qualities go, it's OK---there's just not anything that you'd brag about.  I mean, it was stable enough and you could feather the front engine at 8-10K then climb away at 500 fpm (turbocharged with 2 people on board) but it lacked the solid feel that (for me) inspires confidence.  At the low airspeeds and high bank angles typically used over a fire I found myself having to pay too much attention to the airplane's limits, being careful not to exceed them rather than just flying it into any position the airattack needed to do his job.                   
 I guess I'm saying that, yes, it does fly like any Cessna single but thats part of the problem too, it FEELS like a little airplane, something that you NEED to be carefull with so as not to yank too hard and stall it or damage something. 
And the fact that it's really an easy airplane to fly it is part of the problem of the high accident rate that the type suffers from--folks figure that with center line thrust, it's going to be a pussycat if they pop an engine so they become complacent about single engine procedures and that is WRONG!   It's a twin and like any light twin, when you lose 50% of your power, you are going to lose 80% (or more) of your performance so you need to have a plan already thought out in every phase of flight to deal with that emergency.

In addition, the damn thing is small inside so that 2 big guys like me are crowded AND with all the survival crap we carry, it's at max gross with 3 average people and full fuel.   
To be frank, I flew one because I was paid very well to do so but I think it's a terrible airplane for fire missions.   Maybe it's a great personal twin for some people but I don't like having to work in one.   But of course, that's just my opinion
 8)

Airtac, had a Nam vet who worked as a FAC tell me about the 337.  He said you had to make sure you established exactly the bank angle you wanted before starting an attack dive, because above Vne the ailerons locked up!  ::eek::  Any comments?

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 11:25:28 PM »

Frank

To look like REAL veteran you need bags under the eyes from waiting long hours in wierd airports and antiacid tablets in your shirt pocket to treat the heartburn caused by drinking old airport coffee  :P(in addition to the grey hair) ----and a bit of pot belly adds to the effect! ;)

And here I thought hte antiacid was from drinking something other than coffee.   ::thinking::

Phil ::cowboy::

airtac

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 03:15:47 AM »

[/quote]

Airtac, had a Nam vet who worked as a FAC tell me about the 337.  He said you had to make sure you established exactly the bank angle you wanted before starting an attack dive, because above Vne the ailerons locked up!  ::eek::  Any comments?

Phil  ::cowboy::
[/quote]
Phil, I've never heard that before---good thing too, it might have made me a little uneasy in a dive ::eek:: ------------Don't think I ever had one over 200 knots, they're pretty short on power :-\
Jim

airtac

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 03:27:39 AM »

Frank

And here I thought hte antiacid was from drinking something other than coffee.   ::thinking::

HEY  >:( 
I'll have you know, I drink nothing but the finest 5 dollar a gallon Gin that money can buy---    Aged too,---at least a week ::)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2007, 03:52:07 AM »
HEY   
I'll have you know, I drink nothing but the finest 5 dollar a gallon Gin that money can buy---    Aged too,---at least a week

See, there's your problem.  I stick to 12 month old whiskey myself.  ::drinking::