Author Topic: Julio the Unforgiving  (Read 10361 times)

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
Re: Julio the Unforgiving
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 09:32:08 PM »
I used to work at a Charter operation in the central US where we would squeeze the airplanes into the hangars so tightly, you had to duck underneath elevators and wings to get to the planes in the back of the hangar.  Needless to say, there was a fair share of hangar rash on all the airplanes but the owner (a crusty old type of Rooster) didn't care.  He simply said, "Push 'em until it sounds expensive."  Go ahead and use that quote in the strip if you wish, Steph!   ::bow::

The mechanic however would act exactly like Julio did.  I just don't understand why mechanics take it so personally whenever a pilot breaks "his" airplanes...   ::loony::
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:35:16 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 10:44:09 PM »
  He simply said, "Push 'em until it sounds expensive." 

::rofl::  ::rofl::  ::rofl::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 01:28:10 AM »
One of the other line guys had a whole hangar jump in front of a King Air that pulled a "Herbie" moment and decided it didn't need it's tow bar ::eek:: Good thing the hangar decided to sacrifice itself.... If the Fuel farm had done it, we would have probably made CNN  ::rofl::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 01:52:05 AM »
One of the other line guys had a whole hangar jump in front of a King Air that pulled a "Herbie" moment and decided it didn't need it's tow bar ::eek:: Good thing the hangar decided to sacrifice itself.... If the Fuel farm had done it, we would have probably made CNN  ::rofl::

Brian

King Airs are funny that way. One of the smartass knowitall line guys was barreling across the ramp and lost a 200 that way. Fortunately, it entered a depression in the ramp (drainage) and rolled to a stop. He slapped the tow bar back on and hoped nobody'd seen. Hehehe... yeah, right.
Gotta make sure those things are tight, ya know.

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 02:52:04 AM »
Actually it was too tight.... our old Northwestern Tug shifts kinda hard between gears (automatic) and as he headed down the only hill on the airport it upshifted HARD and the threads stripped out of the tow bar and the offending C-90 started to gain speed, he got out of the way barely as the plane missed the fuel farm by about 15 feet and rolled into our old hangar (the planes intended destination) Dinged up the right wingtip, crushed the radome, and BENT one prop blade, no damage to the gearcase on the PT-6 though  ::sweat:: so it was a pretty easy fix, she was only out of service for a month

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 03:49:50 AM »
The mechanic however would act exactly like Julio did.  I just don't understand why mechanics take it so personally whenever a pilot breaks "his" airplanes...   

That's easy to understand.  After spending all that time fixing her up just right and taking care of her for all those years a mechanic looks at a plane like it's his/her daughter.  So they just hate to see her get banged up by some hamfisted cocky pilot.  ::banghead:: ::rambo::

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 05:36:20 AM »
The mechanic however would act exactly like Julio did.  I just don't understand why mechanics take it so personally whenever a pilot breaks "his" airplanes...   

That's easy to understand.  After spending all that time fixing her up just right and taking care of her for all those years a mechanic looks at a plane like it's his/her daughter.  So they just hate to see her get banged up by some hamfisted cocky pilot.  ::banghead:: ::rambo::

I understand Phil, but in this case us Pilots were also the Line Boys!
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
  • FL90...?!... Contact Houston Space Center
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
I've often wondered if Pilots (the fresh just starting out variety) make good line boys.

KW

Offline The Dancing Bear

• Fledgling
  • DammifIknow where we're going!"
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »
I must admit ,I had a "hangar rash " incident with a King Air too. The only "rash" in my career thus far too.....damn the luck!

I remember it like it was a moment ago,it wasn't entirely my fault though ,my foot slipped off the brake pedal while positioning in front of the door ( It was winter, and the apron was a sheet of ice). I managed to limit the damage to the bird,but it still took a new elevator, rear stab fairing,& a week of work to get it back in the air.

Needless to say the customer was NOT pleased.
A&P / IA. by profession, Parrothead by choice.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »

I understand Phil, but in this case us Pilots were also the Line Boys!

But not the mechanics  ::drinking::