Author Topic: Aviation Art  (Read 13396 times)

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
Re: Aviation Art
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 03:51:17 AM »
Is this the one?
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 09:10:24 PM »
I found this pic on the net. Something so serene about it. Anyone know if any of the those flying boats still exist?

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 11:25:43 PM »
Gil, the Dornier Do-X was a one of a kind aircraft that was never a commercial success.  The thing was ahead of its time in 1929, and engines of that time just didn't have enough power to lift that big an airframe.  Even with the 12 engines on it, the Do-X could barely lift off the water.  As I recall it took them months to make their around the world flight with it.  I don't know for sure what happened to the airplane, but I think it was broken up for scrap during the depression years.

The red Corsair is the only remaining F2G model Super Corsair powered by a 28 cylinder Pratt and Whitney R4360 radial engine of 3000Hp.  The engine was often referred to as the "Corncob".  This airplane was flown in the old Cleveland National races and I believe it won the race back in 1947.  It is currently owned by Bob Odegaard of Kindred ND and is usually hangared at Fargo.  I used to love seeing it flying around occasionally at FAR back when I flew for the Ingersol Rand Bobcat division.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:15:45 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:08 PM »
Anyone like Barry Ross?
http://www.barryrossart.com/
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline Mic

• Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 08:37:52 AM »
  I don't know for sure what happened to the airplane, but I think it was broken up for scrap during the depression years.

She has been destroyed during an allied bombing on Berlin in November 1943. She was the only one remaining airplane in the evacuated Berlin Air Museum.
A good landing allows pilot to walk out
An excellent landing allows the plane to fly again

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 04:20:42 PM »
That is shame...
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 04:58:14 PM »
S'Mom, I love the picture that you started this thread out with.

Isn't this the Life! This is by Sam Lyons, if any of you are fans of his art work. I know a guy who has a 170 painted just like this and keeps it so shiny.
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 05:29:38 PM »
  I don't know for sure what happened to the airplane, but I think it was broken up for scrap during the depression years.

She has been destroyed during an allied bombing on Berlin in November 1943. She was the only one remaining airplane in the evacuated Berlin Air Museum.

Thank you, Mic.  I stand corrected.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 05:50:59 PM »
Hey Piper Girl, that's a GORGEOUS picture.....  talk about the perfect daydream...  camping in the woods with a beautiful airplane...  Ahhhh.....

Welcome to the Fun Coop!!!!!!!!!!    ::wave::

S'Mom****
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 06:46:09 PM »
That is shame...

It is a shame. The world also lost the last Fokker Tri-plane by the bombing of the museum as well.  :( :(

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 06:43:39 AM »
The red Corsair is the only remaining FG-1 model powered by a 28 cylinder Pratt and Whitney R4360 radial engine of 3000Hp.  The engine was often referred to as the "Corncob".  This airplane was flown in the old Cleveland National races and I believe it won the race back in 1947.  It is currently owned by Bob Odegaard of Wahpeton ND and is usually hangared at Fargo.  I used to love seeing it flying around occasionally at FAR back when I flew for the Ingersol Rand Bobcat division.

Bob is a neat guy.  I met him at Arctic Thunder a couple years ago.  I walked up, introduced myself and told him I had seen him on Junkyard Wars.  I was just about to ask for a cockpit checkout in the P-51 he flew up when another guy beat me to it.  Oh well, maybe next time :)
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

airtac

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 08:33:29 AM »
Hey Piper Girl, that's a GORGEOUS picture.....  talk about the perfect daydream...  camping in the woods with a beautiful airplane...  Ahhhh.....

Welcome to the Fun Coop!!!!!!!!!!    ::wave::

S'Mom****

Great picture Piper Girl,
In the woods, trout stream nearby, firelight reflecting off a beautiful airplane, life's love by my side-----------ahhhhh the stuff of daydreams 8)
Welcome indeed!! ::wave::

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes! Chickenwings rocks. Speaking of daydreaming, I would love to take a nice slow airplane (Cub maybe) and spend all summer finding those seldom seen fishing streams and lakes, and meadows. Probably will never happen... something about having to work and paying bills...  ::loony:: What's up with that??!!??
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes! Chickenwings rocks. Speaking of daydreaming, I would love to take a nice slow airplane (Cub maybe) and spend all summer finding those seldom seen fishing streams and lakes, and meadows. Probably will never happen... something about having to work and paying bills...  ::loony:: What's up with that??!!??

It means yer another working stiff... like the rest of us!  Hehe.  We'd all love to do that daydream, PG.   ;D ;D

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 02:22:56 PM »

A belated welcome to the coop! :-)
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.