Author Topic: uvsc?  (Read 30855 times)

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
Re: uvsc?
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 04:55:43 AM »
Crap, I completely lost my head there---Forgot everything you told me ::loony::  Sorry about the insult ::banghead::

Ha ha, you are funny!  No worries, Mate!  To be honest (I'm going to whisper here so no one hears this), it makes my DAY when I fly into some base and people there still think I work for the Feds....  I know, I know, that is a childish response on my part, but I readily admit it!   ;D   Nothing does my heart more good, than to run into that and be able to say that they kicked me in the derriere so hard when I left, I STILL have the black-and-blue bootprint to prove it.   Wheee heeee!!!!   ;D

I can't actually write it here, but I did leave them with a TWO WORD phrase, and I'll give you one hint, it WASN'T "Thank You".    ::complaining:

And just to keep the record straight, I loved the people I worked with in the FS right up until I got above a certain pay scale.  The folks below that would, literally, DIE to save your home from burning.  We had crew bosses we would have dove over a cliff for.  But, the "persons" above that level seemed to come from some alien planet, and the rules didn't apply.  It was a pretty heart-breaking discovery for a young kid who came up from the bottom, but, Hey, everything works out.   ;)

There isn't a day that I am not thankful for the circuitous route I took...  a lot of things went screwy, but it is all experience, and if we're lucky, we get to keep on getting more.  If we're REALLY lucky, we get pink control locks and dirty jokes and full moon jobs on paracargo runs.   ::rofl::

:-*

So you're a contract flyer then?  For some reason I still thought you flew for the FS, i must have missed that some where once upon a time.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

airtac

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 05:05:12 AM »
I said what I wanted-------It's cool-----drop it 8)

Roger

re: Dawgs: 

http://www.cafepress.com/dreamlaunch/760441   

Just a reference to that little movement...
I stand updated--things change :-\

Offline Skygal

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2007, 07:32:46 PM »
Airtac,
Do you remember what we talked about at Tomales ?  It was about how we managed to stay alive despite being young and brash and how we were so sure of ourselves.
I find I have to bite my tongue occasionally because if I don't it makes me look old and grumpy and we don't want that do we ::)
Amelia

airtac

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 09:25:16 PM »
Airtac,
Do you remember what we talked about at Tomales ?  It was about how we managed to stay alive despite being young and brash and how we were so sure of ourselves.
I find I have to bite my tongue occasionally because if I don't it makes me look old and grumpy and we don't want that do we ::)
Amelia
Yes Ma'am |:)\

You're right, I did appear that way and I shall attend to it----Wait,,,,,,did I ever see you attend to a like matter ::thinking::
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:49:10 AM by airtac »

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007, 01:21:02 AM »

Speaking of the pay... A first year BE-99 captain doesn't make any more than I can in a year.  Only difference is they are salaried and have to live in CA where the cost of living is higher.  And we aren't exactly top of the scale as far as "regional" pay.  That's the lowest pay for PIC on those aircraft that I've seen anywhere.  They are paying the single pilot captain what an F/O on the same aircraft would make at a regional. 

Not all regionals are the same...It HAS to be better than Mesaba, which starts their F/O's at $13,000.  That's less than minimum wage.

Mesaba's pay scale says $21,600 guarantee for 1st year F/Os

$24 an hour with a 75 hour/ month guarantee.   You can work more than that and get a lot more money (IE, overtime days or just extra days). Some RJ guys are getting 100 hours a month (max allowed).  That translates into $28,800 a year if they can pull that off every month (max allowed is 100 hours a month and 1200 a year).  Assuming they pull off 1000 hours in the year instead it'd be $24,000.  They don't have comparable aircraft, but that's about standard for Beech 1900 pay as well.

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/mesaba.html

If you start with the BE-99 with Ameriflight you get around $26,000 flat out.    Navajo captains get around $23,700.

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/ameriflight.html

Great lakes is the one you're thinking about though.
http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/great_lakes.html

$13,500 for a guarantee.  But apparently they have the 1400 hour exemption, most of their first year guys are still making $21,000.

Big Sky also has the exemption, 78 hour a month guarantee with $20 an hour (block)
http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/big_sky.html

Guarantees as a pay guage just give you the minimum, you can always get more.  At my company the guarantee is 0.

Must've been a Freudian slip on my part.   :D  The Red Tail is not the most well liked company in Minnesota.  From the outside looking in, it seems to be very poorly run, with new labor issues every six months.  It's probably no different than any other carrier, but we hear about it a lot more living in state.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

airtac

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 01:30:19 PM »
Airtac,
Amelia

I TOOK CARE OF IT!!! ::wave::

airtac

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »

Airtac, that's not what I meant at all.   I had no intention of offending you, but I hear a LOT of talk about this company and I'm not going to hide a differing viewpoint becuase you are the one who said something contrary.  I never meant to imply that I "knew" better.  

I am sorry for offending you, but it was never any intention of mine.  I do realize that other people know better about some areas, and once more than one person said they'd heard good things I queried my friend there again and got more specifics.  *HE* actually does like it there, but it reminds me a lot of *this* company and I don't think either of them are the type of experience velojym is really interested in if he wants to fly corporate or for brown through the quickest way possible.  *THAT* part is my *opinion* and has NOTHING to do with MY goals.

Just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't respect you, and I'll continue to respect you whether you hate my guts or not.  Believe it or not, I put a lot of stock in your opinion, but I will offer what I've heard contradictory if I think it might be true, as that can make a big difference to someone's decisions.  The industry in all fronts has changed dramatically over the last year and a half.  A lot that was true when I was going through *my* training isn't even true now.

This is all I'll say on the matter, other than that I am SORRY.   I don't even like how I worded it myself now that I look through it again, but I can't change that other than to implore that how you took it is NOT what I MEANT.  And if meaning doesn't matter, than I've already lost anyway.
Hey Baradium,
I sent you a personal note but for the public record, I'd like to put this behind us and be friends---soooooooooo, let's have fun ;D    Jim

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 02:38:24 AM »
soooo.... I guess nobody knows anything about uvsc?

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 05:44:17 AM »

nah, who really cares about them!  Up root everything you own, sell the rest, and move to the great land of North Dakota and for only 120k (the average commercial degree here) you too can become a real live aviator!!!!

On a slightly more serious note, I know you were looking there for some kind of degree, but really if you don't want to go into big flying, ie a major or cooperate jets, you don't really need one.  Regionals and other smaller companies will be happy with you just having your licenses from what i hear.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 12:26:17 PM »
nah, who really cares about them!  Up root everything you own, sell the rest, and move to the great land of North Dakota and for only 120k (the average commercial degree here) you too can become a real live aviator!!!!

On a slightly more serious note, I know you were looking there for some kind of degree, but really if you don't want to go into big flying, ie a major or cooperate jets, you don't really need one.  Regionals and other smaller companies will be happy with you just having your licenses from what i hear.

That seems to be quite true these days.  It used to be important at regionals becuase they could afford to be picky.  Now they are so desperate that a pulse is one of their biggest concerns.   ::)

However, if you're going to do any type of scheduled service, don't get yourself locked in.  Majors are still able to find enough pilots to be picky (although not all of them care about a degree) and right *now* the unions at the majors are allowing their companies to get contracts that help the regionals keep their pay lower.  This might change if regionals start trying to compete to draw pilots from eachother... they've about lowered the bar as far as the FAA will allow them to without physically paying to train pilots themselves, so it is a possibility.

Oh, and if I havn't mentioned it somewhere else in this forum:  Do NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES even consider going to GOJETS (also known as GO JET or GO JET ENTERPRISES etc) or Boston-Maine Airways.  Flying for either of those companies will get you blacklisted.

Airtac, it's all good.

I'm in Helena, MT presently, will continue on into Canada today, don't expect internet access again until I get to Fairbanks, although that doesn't mean there's no chances.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 05:32:42 PM »

120K?!  Mine only cost about 80! 
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

120K?!  Mine only cost about 80! 

Thats what they are saying now, flight costs have gone way up in the last couple of years, and they are adding more flights into some courses.  Also the laptop fee has gone up by about 150 a semester too.  Fee's here are going through the roof, especially with the D I move  >:( >:D

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 12:29:23 AM »
Laptop fee?

I want the degree, with all the other educational goodies as well as the marketability. It'll take a couple years or so, and I don't know what the market will look like when I'm done. I know the pay isn't great at first, but beggars can't be choosers.

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2007, 05:55:50 AM »
Laptop fee?

I want the degree, with all the other educational goodies as well as the marketability. It'll take a couple years or so, and I don't know what the market will look like when I'm done. I know the pay isn't great at first, but beggars can't be choosers.

UND forces all of its aviation students to rent a laptop at $450 a semestor.  Do the math on that, figure 5 years at 450 you'll spend about $4,500 on it, and then at the end of it you can buy it for "market value" for about $1,200.  UND has caught a lot of flack for it, but its their way of sucking more money out of its students.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2007, 03:34:28 PM »
Wow... must be *some* laptop.

I can get a pretty well spec'd one brand new for about that. geez.