Author Topic: uvsc?  (Read 30845 times)

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
uvsc?
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:57:29 AM »
I'm getting tired of picking around the edges, and I think I'll get old before I can really get off the ground on a professional level at this rate.

So... I'm going over to Central tomorrow to look into the Utah Valley program they offer, a Bachelor's degree in Aviation Science, with an ATP rating at the end.
During the course of this thing, I'm hoping to get my paws on a light sport airplane I can use to pad my logbook a little (hey, the 801 is years in the future right now),
but I'm going to have to finance this thing if I'm going to get 'in' with enough time left to save for a halfway decent retirement.
If I'm *real* lucky... there are quite a few corporate flight departments at this airport, who like to hire local talent, especially when they have maintenance experience.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst... at the very least, I may be able to fly cancelled checks with Flight Express for a while.

I guess I'll subscribe to Flight Training, and peruse all the pertinent web info, and I've already bought the Sporty's Private DVD ground course, which I hope will put me ahead of
the game, as I'll have time to complete it before starting my actual schoolin'.

Advice? Suggestions? I know it's scary, and noob pilots don't get paid squat, but I can't figure out anything else I really wanna do when I grow up. I've been on a really crooked and
convoluted road all my life, doing everything but flying... all the time wanting to get in the air. I guess I've been scared of it, almost.
There's only the one thing I want to do with my life, and I've always wanted to do it. The idea of failure scares the crap out of me, and I think I've let it get the best of me
all these years. Kinda like a Kamikaze career choice.

airtac

Re: uvsc?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 05:02:36 AM »
ATTA WAY VELOJYM |:)\ |:)\ |:)\

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:19:56 AM »
What do you have right now?

Hours,  ratings, etc.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »
What do you have right now?

Hours,  ratings, etc.

Ah kin fix 'em up a bit...

4.5 hours, SEL, a few landings (same # as takeoffs  ;D ), a little time in a 172 RG...

I'd picked up some time over the last 15 years, but lost my logbook, mostly 150s, Tomahawks, and a Champ.

I'm a newb with light, scattered experience and a well-worn dream.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 04:12:27 AM »
........doing everything but flying... all the time wanting to get in the air....

Hi Velo,

I think your thought (above) says it all...  anything that keeps crowding into your thoughts so much, is worth checking into!     |:)\

Let us know what you find out...  all the best!!

S'Mom    :)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 06:52:50 AM »
An ATP at the end... so that program takes 1500 hours+ of flying experience to complete?

Sounds like that program could turn into a lot of money...

Do you have a degree?

Right now, regionals are hiring like mad, I'd say go to a program that ends with a Commercial multi and maybe a CFI if you wanted one.  Regionals right now don't care about a degree, but if you have aspirations for a major, a degree can be important.

If you don't want to do airline stuff, going to a school that ends with an ATP is something I'd think would still keep you from actually flying for a bit longer than you need to.

Having your A&P *will* help for many corporate departments as you can work on the airplane "on the road" so to speak.  You do have to be careful though as some companies have been known to keep those pilots more mechanics than pilots, turning them into reserve pilots and giving the job to someone else full time later on down the road.

The industry right now is really short on pilots, and it's translating system wide.  An ATP will take a lot longer to get then you need to spend to get flying. 

Mesa is putting people into their training program (that one is a pay program) who don't have a multi engine rating and there are a number of companies who are hiring with basic commercial multiengine ratings.

Even if you want corporate and they want the ATP etc  it might be faster to get the commercial or CFI and fly for a year or two commercially building experience (plus that gives you turbine experience).

Just a couple years ago, "minimums" were what you had to have for a company to consider hiring you.   Now, for many companies, it's a wish list and if you meet the FAA requirements you're in play.

airtac

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 02:28:24 PM »

I absolutely agree with what Baradium is saying---do the hire-able minimums and go for it, once you get a job, you can always do the ATP written and by then the check ride will be a snap because (1) it's not a whole lot harder than a 135 check ride and (2) many companies (Ameriflight for instance) can and will incorporate it with a 135 ride which translates to a free rating!  The main thing is be persistent and GO FOR IT-----NOW or ASAP !!! |:)\ |:)\

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »
I just looked over the course, and it appears that the ATP ground is covered, but I only need to complete the other ratings to graduate. It does mention the 1500 hour requirement, and I'll give 'em a call to see if there'll need to be some followup later.
The Associate's degree covers up to Commercial, but there's a lot of stuff covered in the BS that I'd like to have under my belt: FBO management and stuff like that.
I'd like to have a few other qualifications under my belt, for the lean times.

One of the guys from the local school was hired pretty quickly by a local corporate outfit, partially because he had his A&P in addition to his new flight ratings.

airtac

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »

One of the guys from the local school was hired pretty quickly by a local corporate outfit, partially because he had his A&P in addition to his new flight ratings.

YEP, the A&P is a definite plus

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 03:05:39 AM »
Keep in mind that if you go the airline route seniority is *everything*.  A new hire is a new hire, 100 hours or 10,000.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 03:29:46 AM »
Is it any different with cargo companies? I'm not really aiming for people tubes, but I'll fly cattle cars if it's what's there.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 05:23:21 AM »
Is it any different with cargo companies? I'm not really aiming for people tubes, but I'll fly cattle cars if it's what's there.

UPS and FedEx are the perverbial holy grails of "airline" jobs right now.  Both are scheduled and yes, seniority is just as important.

If affects what kind of schedule you have, what position you are in, how much you are paid, and where in line you are if furloughs ever come up.

There are other cargo companies out there as well, such as Atlas and Polar (same company now).  Many foreign companies will require you to essentially move overseas and UPS is saying they will now require trans oceanic experience (just because they can).

Regional is a good place to start, even if you don't want to always do scheduled passenger, just to get you the turbine time.  Of course, you don't have to fly a jet to get turbine time (turboprops are out there too).

airtac

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
I've sent a number of people to Ameriflight with the statement that they will be burning kerosene within 90 days and most have called me back within that period saying they are flying a 99 or a Metroliner (as Captain) and building turbine time----Ameriflight has a huge turnover rate because their pilots get into turbines quickly, build time quickly and are picked up by the airlines quickly---and the pay is as good as any regional plus, if you hang around for a couple of years, you will be getting typed in jets.
Ameriflight has the largest fleet of Metros in the world, they also have 99s, Lears, Sabreliners, and (Cessna single turbines--What the hell are they called?)--They are the biggest cargo contractor that UPS uses and UPS looks to them for big iron pilots!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »
The only single-turbine Cessna I know is the turboprop Caravan/Grand Caravan that exist in both fixed gear and float-version. Designated C208(B?) I think although there was another smaller 208 that I'm pretty sure doesn't share parts with the 208 Caravan. (btw Jim if you were being ironic then sorry I missed it).

Velo: Best wishes for trying to go for your dream, that's what I'm only waiting for here (waiting for the new handicap car for my mom and the move to a new place to live. I can't do a thing before those ever increasing worries are gone, I'm just waiting for tomorrow to hear more about both subjects).

If I may ask, Jim: What kind of companies do you and Mary fly for where you can fly special missions (as I call it) instead of regular planned routes?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

airtac

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »
The only single-turbine Cessna I know is the turboprop Caravan/Grand Caravan that exist in both fixed gear and float-version. Designated C208(B?) I think although there was another smaller 208 that I'm pretty sure doesn't share parts with the 208 Caravan. (btw Jim if you were being ironic then sorry I missed it).

Velo: Best wishes for trying to go for your dream, that's what I'm only waiting for here (waiting for the new handicap car for my mom and the move to a new place to live. I can't do a thing before those ever increasing worries are gone, I'm just waiting for tomorrow to hear more about both subjects).

If I may ask, Jim: What kind of companies do you and Mary fly for where you can fly special missions (as I call it) instead of regular planned routes?

Frank
Frank,
Yes, it's a Caravan.........old brain, forgets names............ ::loony::
Regular planned routes?   Frank, there is no set schedule for fires---when a fire happens, firefighters (including FF aircraft) are dispatched to it just like if your house catches fire--the fire trucks are dispatched to it.
I work for a private company that contracts work from the US government----Mary works for the US government...........I'm a civilian, she's an official guvmint public servant-----I do it for the money >:D----she does it for the money, the glory, and the retirement benefits |:)\