Author Topic: Aerodynamic drag area: Dirt vs clean paint vs polished metal  (Read 15899 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Aerodynamic drag area: Dirt vs clean paint vs polished metal
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »
VG = Vortex Generators right? I actually found a great looking late-model Cardinal that had such things on the wings for sale at Trade-A-Plane, I showed it in the chat to gil and gibbo, and maybe also mommy I think. I've heard of different wingtips and those small pins on the stabilator for a Cardinal but never VG's until I saw them on the pictures.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/cgi-bin/specsheets.pl?viewphotos.x=&specnum=52313
The 5th shows the wings and the VG's in closeup. And might I ad that I love the interior colours, except the wood dash though, but each to their own.

Frank
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:26:23 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 03:56:08 AM »
VG = Vortex Generators right? I actually found a great looking late-model Cardinal that had such things on the wings for sale at Trade-A-Plane, I showed it in the chat to gil and gibbo, and maybe also mommy I think. I've heard of different wingtips and those small pins on the stabilator for a Cardinal but never VG's until I saw them on the pictures.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotected/cgi-bin/specsheets.pl?viewphotos.x=&specnum=52313
The 5th shows the wings and the VG's in closeup. And might I ad that I love the interior colours, except the wood dash though, but each to their own.

Frank

Kinda weird you post pics of a C177 today.  I was working tower lab this morning, and had two C177's come in and didnt know what they were.  Had to look up the type in the back of the book.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 08:05:02 AM »

Been busy but finally got around to it, interesting stuff on VGs--   My former employer had a STOL equipped mixmaster with VGs being part of the kit and it cruised about 10K faster than the stock airplanes we had so the performance claims might be pretty accurate,

I'll bet when you're lightly loaded in the 1900 that you accelerate through Blue Line in the rotation--too much performance to be held on that long?  (or play like a wheelbarrow :D)
My guess i

Even heavy I can't imagine trying to  hold the thing on the ground until Blue Line.   At max gross on pavement we in the process of rotating at 108 kts.  Blue line is 125.

The 1900 likes to fly and the engines produce a ton of lift on the wings.  We're airborne before we actually get to blue line, although we generally get there fairly quickly. 

We're also topping 1200 lbs / hour of fuel burn on takeoff  (600-700 a side).
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2007, 12:07:33 AM »

Frank

VG's are the closest thing to magic to come along in aviation in a long time.  They lower the stall speed in most aircraft, and increase roll control up to stall in all aircraft.  And with no loss of cruise speed.  I've heard a couple light twins even get a gross weight increase with them due to the better single engine controllability.

Phil

airtac

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 12:50:14 AM »

Frank

VG's are the closest thing to magic to come along in aviation in a long time.  They lower the stall speed in most aircraft, and increase roll control up to stall in all aircraft.  And with no loss of cruise speed.  I've heard a couple light twins even get a gross weight increase with them due to the better single engine controllability.

Phil
You've heard right Phil--the skymaster gets a couple hundred pound increase along with an extra 10 knots as part of the package..............but of course, it's still a skythrasher  :P

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 06:44:18 AM »
You've heard right Phil--the skymaster gets a couple hundred pound increase along with an extra 10 knots as part of the package..............but of course, it's still a skythrasher 

Actually I was thinking it was the Navajos... ::thinking::  But wasn't sure.

Phil

airtac

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 08:02:30 AM »
You've heard right Phil--the skymaster gets a couple hundred pound increase along with an extra 10 knots as part of the package..............but of course, it's still a skythrasher 

Actually I was thinking it was the Navajos... ::thinking::  But wasn't sure.

Phil
I imagine that's right too--them VG thingys is amazing in what they does ::unbelieveable::

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »
They work wonders on Aztrucks too (Piper Aztec)... Drops the Single engine min control speed (red line) below the stall speed  ::eek::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."