Author Topic: So, there I was....  (Read 32835 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: So, there I was....
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2006, 02:55:21 PM »
Ah.  Carry on, then.  :)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline C310RCaptian

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »
The Garmin trainers do not have the GS function. However on the 530 like the 430 remember to push the CDI button once you activate the approach. That way it will go off the LOC frequency and not the GPS. Everything about the 530 is the same as the 430. Just a bigger screen for the “elderly.”  ;D So if you know the 430 you are golden with the 530.  Personally the only thing I use the 530 trainer for was familiarization of the controls. Knowing what page gives you what information, how to enter an approach or SID/STAR. I wish they could put it in Microsoft Flight Sim, which would be the best way to fully train at home to use it.  :-\

Offline C310RCaptian

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »
Also I forgot to mention… the trainers do not include the weather page, terrain page or the traffic page on the trainers… The airplane you may be flying might not have these pages.

If it does the 3 pages are under the NAV section Pages 3,4,5. They really don’t do much. If you hit the menu button while on the weather page it will give you the option to change from a 360 view to a 180 view of the WX. And if you hit the cursor button on the WX page you can scroll between radar, graphical metars, winds, and temperatures/dew points. (I may be wrong on the order, I am just going from memory ???). If you hit the menu button with the graphical metars it will give you a legend to tell you what the graphics mean.   The other pages are basically just there to look at.

The only other difference is the AUX page has one more page on it. This is where you can get textual metars if you have the XM aviation weather service. Its pretty strait forward to use. I love it. It has saved my butt i dont know how many times. 

Let me know if you need any help with it. Ive flow with both for 2 years now.  I am sure you will do excellent.  ;D ;D ;D

fireflyr

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2006, 03:58:26 PM »
 |:)\ To Turbomallard, Gulfstream driver, and 310 Captain!!!    One of my attributes has always been being tenacious in my pursuit of a goal and at times, like now, it has taken a great deal of persuasion to make me back out of an untenable position.    I ADMIT I WAS WRONG!!  :'(  It would seem that the glideslope is indeed inoperable on the Garmin 530 sim for (now) obvious reasons.   :-\
Thanks for your input guys, if I seem hard-headed it's because I am and I make no apologies for that, that's just me. ;)
And besides, I got to use a lot of different smileys in one post. ;D ;D

Offline SkyKing

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2006, 08:15:52 PM »
Here is what I was talking about guys!
(I am getting sweaty palms just posting this...eechh)

I dunno, Photoshop doesn't scare me much.

Look closer.  The Tower is in natural light from the 2 o-clock, the guy is in a photo with the flash from 12.  The light quality on the ledge should be different than it is below.  The clean-focus zone is also all wrong.

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2006, 09:38:40 PM »
The big question though: how did they get the picture of the tower? :o It's almost as scary for me to imagine a guy taking this picture as the picture itself.

Anyways, there I was...

...in our home state back when I was 14, getting my first chance ever to fly in a fixed wing. It was an opportunity for people to come in and get a chance to fly in a GA aircraft. I got to go up in a C-172K with a couple other people, and boy was it breathtaking! I had ridden in a sling wing before at the county fair, but for some reason this ride really stuck out to me. It was actually only the second time I had ever gone up in the air, so the flying experience was pretty captivating. I can remember seeing everything down on the ground and thinking of how small they were. Then, best of all, the pilot gave me a chance to fly the aircraft. How awesome that felt! It was an experience I hope I won't soon forget.

...down in North Carolina for vacation. My dad and I went to Ocean Isle Beach Airport (60J) while we were there to check out some of the aircraft. They had mostly single-engine aircraft, but the second time we went down someone had flown in a beautiful Beechcraft twin-engine taildragger. I think it's called an E18, or Super 18, I don't know. What I do know was that it was a gourgeous machine. Fresh paint job, polished chrome, just glistening in the sunlight. It was such a beautiful moment, just standing there and taking it all in. I wish I didn't have to leave, but maybe I'll be able to come back to NC when I get my Private Pilot and see that plane again. :)
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2006, 11:17:14 PM »
Great Story, man!

Keep 'em coming you guys!!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2006, 04:12:25 AM »
So... there I was on my way home after another lesson towards my Instrument rating.... and on my way out of the airport, what do I see parked on the ramp for the parallel runway?  Yep... my eyes didn't decieve me... it was a Ford Tri-Motor!  In fact, it was the EAA's Ford Tri-Motor on a tour of different parts of the country!  This was last summer, and it was pure luck for me!  They had taken the plane to Creve Coeur Airport originally, but didn't get much of a crowd.  So, they flew it over to Spirit of St. Louis (KSUS), where I fly out of, to try to get more traffic with people wanting a peek inside, or going up for a ride.

Well, I love aircraft new and old, so I was fascinated with this rare opportunity to see such a classic up close.  I immediately pulled into the parking area near the rampway, and went up to see what was going on.  I got the chance to speak to the pilot of the plane, a commercial pilot who normally flew Airbus A-330's, and in his off time volunteers to fly for EAA.  I've been up to Oshkosh. Wisconsin before when I was with Civil Air Patrol, but never got the chance to get into their hangars or museums when I was up there since it was during the fly-in each time and we were way too busy.  So this was even more exciting as a result.

The pilot informed me that they were taking people up for rides, and would I like to go along.  One millisecond later my decision was made, and I think I answered just as fast as that too!  I was surprised even more when I was told that because I was a pilot, and the pilot of the plane got to know me a little by then, he asked if I would like to fly right-seat with him for the ride!  Ok... it was not quite as long as a full millisecond for THAT answer to come out of my mouth with a resounding, wide-smiled, emphatic YES!

The day was CAVU (clear and visibility unlimited), with light southerly winds.  Here I was, boarding this plane built so long ago... long before I was born, yet it still had the majesty and strength about it as if it had just rolled off of the assembly line.  The three huge radial engines, corrigated steel skin panels, and boxy taildragger design the signature of this bird that was the very first commercial passenger aircraft to be used widely in the early days of commercial aviation.  As I enter the cabin from the rear entry door, you are struck by the fact that the appointments of the plane are rather nice inside, with real leather seats, and polished wood panel trim.  Walking uphill to the front of the plane I am confronted with an instrument panel that I did not expect.  This is a multi-engine plane, yet the panel has basic instrumentation for only the front engine.  Mixture controls in the center of the front panel for each engine and throttles for each engine the only evidence that this plane is equipped with two more on the pylons from the wings.  I sit down, and put on the headset, connected to a modern radio that is oddly out of place suddenly.  I also see the handheld GPS unit on a mounting bracket velcroed to the area near the left seat.  The control wheels are wheel shaped, not "W" yokes, nor bowties as on other aircraft.

I look over at the pilot as he takes his place in the left seat, giving him my "thumbs up" that signals I'm buckled in and headset prepped.  I was too excited to say anything else at that point, but that soon faded as he strapped in and started each of the massive engines.  A powerful throb and hum now enveloped the plane as I felt the rudder pedals and yoke move during his checkout.  I remained silent, but observant... not wanting to miss a thing as he started us taxing out to take off at 8R.  The preflight runup was brief, about the same as one might expect in a regular GA aircraft.  Then the tower calls, letting us know we are cleared for takeoff.  The pilot advances the throttles, and we start running down the runway.  It seemed like only seconds, and the airspeed was up at 60 KIAS... the tail rose, bringing the horizon into full normal perspective again.  By 70 KIAS we are up and airborne!  Climbout at 75 KIAS and then leveling off to fly at the plane's top speed of around 94 KIAS!  He looks over at me and says "Any questions?"  I think... "any questions?  about a million of them!", but I settle on just a few as I first point to the panel and ask him about the lack of other engine instruments.  He smiles and says, "Look at the landing gear pylons".  As I look out and see the pylon on my right, I note the RPM, temp, and oil pressure gauges mounted into the side of the skin there.  The landing gear pylons also support the outboard engines.  "It behooves you to have a flashlight at night so you can check them!", he says to me over the intercom.  I'm astounded both at the elegance of the solution, and the impracticality at the same time, but knowing that I'm spoiled with today's technology, I find the charm of the unique solution, and nod... then shake my head in awe of the way the engineers solved that issue back then.

As we make our first turn to the south after takeoff, he looks at me and says, "Wanna fly her?"  Ok... I was not expecting this treat at all, but I eagerly did so, taking the heavy control wheel yoke in hand, and feeling the power, and lumbering aspect of this bird.  "Make some turns if you like.", he tells me.  Well, not needing much prompting at this point, I try a turn to the right to keep us in the airport area.  The plane takes a bit of input, heavy on the controls to make even a 45 degree turn, much less a 90 degree one, the plane "thinks" about compliance, but then does so with grace, easing into the turn on the downwind leg of the pattern.  "What's the top speed?", I ask, seeing the airspeed guage reading about 92 KIAS after my turn.  "You're at about it!", he says to me with a smile.  "She's not fast, but she's reliable!", he says.  It takes a while to make our way down the leg of the pattern, as the pattern was held wide, and a few more turns also ensued (with the tower's co-operation).  Finally, he takes the controls to make the base leg and final approach.  The plane lumbers into the turns, behaving herself gracefully, though requiring a heavy hand.  As we land, the tail settles, and swings behind and to my right as we turn off.  My first time in both a mult-engine cockpit AND a taildragger, and I was lucky enough to have it be in this bird!  As we taxi off, and I reluctantly get out, I spend the next 20 minutes talking to the pilot again, this time getting more details about the plane, having more of a basis to ask better questions now.  The pilot then asks me for my logbook.  In it he makes a new column "SIC" (Second In Command), and enters the time I flew... .2 hours, multi-engine, taildragger, SEC, Ford Tri-Motor!

One of the best experiences and proudest log entries I have since getting my license.

Just thought I'd pass it along :)
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

fireflyr

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2006, 08:28:49 AM »
Nice story Ted, thanks for sharing it with us.   That is a log book entry equaled by VERY few (I know I ain't no Tri-Motor time).  |:)\

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2006, 11:15:04 AM »
Wow, one story better than the next, you guys are really some fortunate people! And you both write the stories so I almost feel like I was there!  |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »
Thanks!  I've been short on time lately, so I've been monitoring the forum, but haven't had a chance to write much.

I've got a few other experiences I'll relate as time permits too :)

Glad you guys liked it :)
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2006, 03:09:34 PM »
yeah, Ted, outstanding story and experience!! you're very lucky!
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2006, 05:47:51 PM »
Wow, cool!

We could have used that story for the "True Pilot Stories" book. . .
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2006, 05:59:21 PM »
Thanks again :)

If you want to use it in the future, feel free :)

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2006, 12:34:22 AM »
Very awe-some story Ted! Makes me wish so bad that I was there. I regret that I missed a chance to fly in the very plane you speak of. Guess I had a problem with having to be somewhere else for some reason or another. :( If they ever come back to the area, your story has convinced me that that would be an opportunity that I wouldn't want to miss again!
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."