Author Topic: So, there I was....  (Read 32877 times)

Offline Mark

Re: So, there I was....
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 09:15:04 PM »
Yeah id have to agree im fine flying around doing all kinds of maneuvers but standing on the edge of say a balcony of a hotel room on the 15th floor i get scared and i have to back away its kinda weird how that works.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 10:37:23 PM »
It gets even more crazy than that:
Imagine long-lining with the helicopter. Hanging half way out of the machine, looking straight down, 150 feet in the air, moving airconditioners on top of buildings,. . .
. . . but standing on the balcony on the 10th floor or something and looking down...not my favorite.

My friends always give me a hard time about it and think I am just messing with them.
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 12:39:05 AM »
I hear you there Mike, there rational (semi) mind knows your gonna die if you fall from 150 feet but 10 stories on a balcony tightens up the old sphinter enough that you couldn't drive in a needle with a sledge hammer!
It doesn't bother me at 500' AGL but man, when I'm traveling cross country at 10,000 and above, I get a little anxious.
My friends also figure I'm screwing with them on the subject----what ever possesed me to pursue flying I'll never know (OK, it was the babes) but a week without fliying is hard to take
Guess that's why I like flying fires, it ain't scary like being up high-----------Go figure!

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 03:47:59 AM »
I fly an ultralight that has no structure around the pilot at all and enjoy the hell out of it. But when I get up high on a ladder  I get a little nervous. Go figure.
WOW I did that!

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 05:05:26 AM »
Is this a common combination among pilots, fear of heights, but love of the sky?

I think this is a common ailment.  A number of my pilot friends have said they're afraid of heights.  Non-pilots don't seem to understand.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 11:57:02 PM by Gulfstream Driver »
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »
No, it ain't photoshop,
I've seen the picture before and read the story (can't remember the details---I'M OLD!!!) and it is most certainly genuine. Genuine but not sane, which brings up a question, how many of you pilot-types out there are afraid of heights???
Been scared of altitude all my life so I thought I'd beard the lion in his den and at age 50 signed up for an accelerated free fall course at Davis Skydiving. First jump (with 2 instructors) from 13,500 ft was like participating in my own killing, screamed "AKK AKK AKK" in the fetal position for first 5 seconds the realized I'd better arch and do the drills taught me in ground school.
Had to check my shorts when I landed---they were OK though.
Second attempt, my chute popped just before I got out the door---landed (in the airplane), got a new chute, jumped, and it was still tooooo scary for words.
Did a third jump and decided there's enough opportunity to get the crap scared outta you in aviation so why go looking for it! Got a refund on the unused jumps and came away with even more anxiety about heights. So much for facing your fears. ???

I have the same problems with heights.  I can't do ski-lifts, or ladders, or balconies without being really nervous.  Yet I'm fine in the airplane, helicopter, or other vehicle.

As for parchuting out of an airplane.... well... let's just say "If the wings are staying on, I'm staying IN!"
:)

So far I've never had the urge to leave a perfectly good aircraft.... I must say I don't see that changing anytime soon.   ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 05:10:17 AM »
i'm with Ted. i used to want to learn to skydive but after i learned to fly......fuggetaboutit
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Mark

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 05:31:36 AM »
Yeah i used to want to go skydiving so bad and a bunch of my friends are going in a few months but now i have no desire to do it anymore. Most of the other pilots Ive talked to down here agree too. I guess its a common trend with pilots and not wanting to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 03:16:41 PM »
eh, i dunno folks. i'd have to say photoshop. then again, i did see a video where this freak jumped without wearing his parachute. he held on to it the entire way down!! nucking futz!

That would have been a aquantiance of mine :D he is a nutcase ! Once jumped out by holding on to the parachute with his FEET...now that was...GARGH

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 05:47:20 PM »
Here is what I was talking about guys!
(I am getting sweaty palms just posting this...eechh)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 06:09:18 PM »

Yikes!!!!  Ok... that shot gives me the sweats too!
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Mark

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 06:46:06 PM »
Wow that guy is insane. I mean who in their right mind would stand out there like that.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 08:47:03 PM »
Nyah I like heights.  Mind you I do a lot of fair amount of up and down ladders and in and out of attics at work so it's jsut as well.  (It's doesn't pay to be the littlest technician you know--you get far to much of "Oh Leia'll fit up there..."

I like looking down--maybe it's because I'm a shorty!

There's a headland here where the cliffpath goes right up to the edge and you can sit with your feet hanging over and the the seagulls eyeballing you!  Best viewthere is without getting off the ground.

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 02:00:03 PM »

My belly went hollow...if he has a parachute (i hope he does ,then its okay) but try to think that you DONT have a parachute....jeesus....

Offline Have Blue

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 10:30:22 PM »
That's definitely photoshop.  Lighting and sharpness is wrong.  Still made me sick, though. :P
"I'm sure as hell not a killer, but flying combat is like a game, and a guy likes to come out on top."
-George Preddy, P-51 ace