Author Topic: So, there I was....  (Read 32879 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
So, there I was....
« on: January 13, 2006, 07:14:03 PM »
...in a 150 Aerobat over ND, SD, NE, and KS, going 60 kts over the ground.  Yuck.  Took over 9 hours to get from Fargo to Garden City, Kansas.  Luckily, I wasn't flying directly over any highways, or I would have been even more depressed. 

I was delivering this plane to California.  Took 5 days and 25.5 hours of flight time.  This very small, underpowered plane does not make it onto my list of favorite airplanes.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
Re: So, there I was....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:45:31 PM »
Well... take heart... I heard of a Piper J3 that was flying in Colorado.... took off into a headwind, was able to slow flight it and actually get blown BACKWARDS over the airport... and landed!  No turns needed!!

He was admonished, by the way, for a "non-standard traffic pattern", and told not to do that again.

... no... it wasn't me... maybe it was "Chuck" ?  ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 01:22:53 AM »
... no... it wasn't me... maybe it was "Chuck" ? ;D

sounds like something Chuck would do...

And there I was in a Cessna 152. . .

. . . over Ventura, California at night when all my electrics went out. I think I was trying to turn on or off the landing light when everything went dark. I was just a little private pilot then trying to build some night time. The adrenaline went up a little at that point, but I did have a few flashlights with me like my instructor always taught me (thanks Andrea!). I kind of sat on a big mag-lite and let it shine through my legs onto the instrument panel. I thought I was set. Actually I was pretty proud of myself and even contemplated trucking on but changed my mind after I came to my senses again.
Then I thought of squawking 7600 and returning to the airport since I knew I wouldn't be able to talk to the tower, but then fellt silly when I realized that the transponder wouldn't be working either without any electrical power. Then I thought I didn't even need to talk to anybody anyways because it was past 2200LCL and the tower was already closed for the night.
"Cool" I said to myself "that way I don't have to go though all the emergency procedures and there will be no other traffic anyways!"
But when I got back to Camarillo (CMA) I realized that I wouldn't be able to turn on the runway lights either without my radios. No I was suddenly wishing for some traffic. There wasn't any.
As I circled just north of the airport I made some calculations. I figured I had about 2hrs of fuel left before I had to fly to Santa Barbara, which I was sure had a lit runway at night. But did I really want to fly into Class C without any radio or transponder? I kept that as my last option. Then I thought about making a low approach over the dark hole where I knew the runway was but tossed that idea out since it seemed pretty dangerous and stupid.
I just kept circling, but got a little nervous after an hour or so. Luckily a plane showed up then and turned on the runway lights. And you better believe I was right at their tail (as much as you can be "right at somebodys tail" in a C-152) to make sure I'd land before the lights go back out.
They never even knew I was there. A small "stealth" C-152 completely dark like in a James Bond movie...
I made a beautiful landing and taxied back to the FBO.

I just parked the plane and went home pretty pissed off at the electrical system. It wasn't until the next day when I told the story and got all those "oh-my-god-what-did-you-do-to-get-out-of-this-emergency!!" reactions that I knew I now had my first very own
"So, there I was..." story to tell!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 08:33:11 PM »
I just ran across this photo in an archive...  If not a photoshop job (which I doubt since the source on this one seems authentic), then the guy was NUTS!

Looks like a formation flight... and that guy appears to be hand-propping WHILE IN FLIGHT!

Parachute anyone????

We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 08:41:26 PM »
HOLY CRAP! :o :o

My palms got all sweaty and tingly just by looking at the picture...

CHUCK, IS THAT YOU????

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
That looks like a Breitling logo on the empenage... I wonder if it was for some sort of print ad??
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 09:49:04 PM »
Not sure if it is a Breitling logo there or not.  I tried sharpening and magnifying the picture in that area but couldn't get it to resolve well enough to make it out any better.

I think sweaty and tingly palms was the least of the things I would have had going on if I had been the one in that plane!  The guy had to have needed a change of clothes afterwards!!  Yipes!!

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 10:10:50 PM »
Must be a J-3 w/o a starter?  Not sure if that's the first thing I'd do to fix the problem.  Looks like a nice landing spot behind him there...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 10:28:44 PM »
HA HA!!
maybe THAT's why he's hand-prop-ing it...
...because the nice landing field is already BEHIND him! ;D ;D

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 10:52:34 PM »
eh, i dunno folks. i'd have to say photoshop. then again, i did see a video where this freak jumped without wearing his parachute. he held on to it the entire way down!! nucking futz!
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 10:59:49 PM »
Well... considering that barnstormers of old used to do mid-air plane exchanges without safety lines, crashes through barns, and the like... it's possible that this guy did this... I wish I had an exact date of the original photo... but I do know its an old one.  Not that it means that it would have to be an old picture to have a crazy guy doing that... just that if it was a publicity ad, they used to do some crazy stunts!!

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 11:26:14 PM »
If it is photoshopped, would they have bothered to put his shadow in?

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 04:55:18 AM »
Guys crazy.  Hey I was watching stunt jockies the other night and they had a guy jump fro one airplane and get into another one.  The one he jumped into was attached to a drag shoot in a vertical dive with the engine off.  When the guy was in he released the drag shoot and pulled up.  Landed safely though. 
WOW I did that!

fireflyr

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
No, it ain't photoshop,
I've seen the picture before and read the story (can't remember the details---I'M OLD!!!) and it is most certainly genuine.  Genuine but not sane, which brings up a question, how many of you pilot-types out there are afraid of heights???
Been scared of altitude all my life so I thought I'd beard the lion in his den and at age 50 signed up for an accelerated free fall course at Davis Skydiving.  First jump (with 2 instructors) from 13,500 ft was like participating in my own killing, screamed "AKK AKK AKK" in the fetal position for first 5 seconds the realized I'd better arch and do the drills taught me in ground school.
Had to check my shorts when I landed---they were OK though.
Second attempt, my chute popped just before I got out the door---landed (in the airplane), got a new chute, jumped, and it was still tooooo scary for words.
Did a third jump and decided there's enough opportunity to get the crap scared outta you in aviation so why go looking for it!   Got a refund on the unused jumps and came away with even more anxiety about heights.   So much for facing your fears.  ???

Offline Inept

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 07:44:38 PM »
I hear ya about the heights... I have no problem flying along, even looking straight down, well, as straight as you can, from anywhere from  takeoff or landing to 8000+ feet AGL, but get me on a lagger, and I'm scared witless.   Is this a common combination among pilots, fear of heights, but love of the sky?