Author Topic: Cub Sighting  (Read 21324 times)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
Re: Cub Sighting
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 07:13:11 AM »
Didn't we have a pic floating around the forum of a guy hand-propping his aircraft in midair?

Don't know about that, but I don't remember now if it was Bob Hover, or Bob Reeve that he and his partner used to do mid air refueling in their Aeronca, A C-3 if memory still functions this late at night.  One would fly and the other would step out on the strut to pore fuel from a can into the header tank.

I also got to ride with a 7AC pilot on his way to OSH one year who showed me how he transfered fuel.  Apparently the J-3's he was traveling with had just a bit more range.  so he had a can in the back seat and hand pump strapped to the side of the cockpit.  He'd reach through the side window, stick the hose in the header tank, then pump the fuel in.  gotta love those old planes.  ::drinking::

Phil

P.S. Check out my last post in "life through your Camera"

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 07:12:54 AM »
Didn't we have a pic floating around the forum of a guy hand-propping his aircraft in midair?

Don't know about that, but I don't remember now if it was Bob Hover, or Bob Reeve that he and his partner used to do mid air refueling in their Aeronca, A C-3 if memory still functions this late at night.  One would fly and the other would step out on the strut to pore fuel from a can into the header tank.

I also got to ride with a 7AC pilot on his way to OSH one year who showed me how he transfered fuel.  Apparently the J-3's he was traveling with had just a bit more range.  so he had a can in the back seat and hand pump strapped to the side of the cockpit.  He'd reach through the side window, stick the hose in the header tank, then pump the fuel in.  gotta love those old planes.  ::drinking::

Phil

Wasn't Bob Reeve, he flew Fairchilds and didn't have any partners...though Don Sheldon WAS his son in law :P
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Baron15

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 07:02:54 AM »
This was at the airport awhile ago.  Looked weird from a distance so I went to take a look, has a 55gallon or so tank added on the bottom and several radios.  I found out that the guy that owns it has done just about everything and now does fish spotting in the plane.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »

Phil

Can you get an STC for that?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

airtac

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 07:24:24 AM »
They were spotting flying fishes that day ::rofl::

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 05:21:03 PM »
They were spotting flying fishes that day ::rofl::

I've heard of rhem killing speedboaters.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 11:39:06 PM »
Actually, I don't think that's damage.  The transition from the leading edge to the tip bow in a super cub is not the most elegant thing.

Phil

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 12:09:41 PM »
Is it worth just going up in a J-3 Cub?

If all else fails, read the directions.

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 11:53:20 AM »
well of course it is always worth going up, but is it worth taking time to tryout a J-3 and see how aviation was?
If all else fails, read the directions.

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 01:08:51 AM »
Doggone it!  I can't find that pic of the Super Cub on Tundra Tires with the 50 gallon Propane tank slung below the fuselage.  Gotta love Alaska's exception for external loads!
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 03:58:08 AM »
Talk about your external loads....  on airplanes, that is... 

I've heard some wild northern tales of coffins, dead bodies (frozen), and the like.....   ::unbelieveable::

Gotta love Alaska...........   ::eek::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2007, 07:32:27 PM »
Talk about your external loads....  on airplanes, that is... 

I've heard some wild northern tales of coffins, dead bodies (frozen), and the like.....   ::unbelieveable::

Gotta love Alaska...........   ::eek::

::eek:: ::eek:: ::eek:: ::unbelieveable:: ::unbelieveable::
Are you pullin' my leg 'Mom??? 
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 08:45:25 PM »
well of course it is always worth going up, but is it worth taking time to tryout a J-3 and see how aviation was?

Its worth every penny, Wantofly.  I went up in a J-3 last summer.  I had a blast, and I learned alot.  That is just a doggone fun airplane to fly!
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 06:37:36 PM »
last cub i saw was on fire and i had just chopped the tail off to stick it onto a piece of plastic square section drain pipe  ::rofl::  ::rofl::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
I'm getting to see one slowly, very slowly, start to take shape as it is rebuilt here......  yesterday the mechanic was here for more welding...  this will take many months, I'm guessing, but I hope I can see it as it turns back into an airplane.     |:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!