Author Topic: Cub Sighting  (Read 21322 times)

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
Cub Sighting
« on: April 22, 2007, 01:18:27 AM »
Now I can die happy... ::angel::

Today was severe clear VFR. I was outside cleaning out the garage, when what to my wandering eyes should appear, but an aircraft flying low over the horizon - real low.  And not just any aircraft, of course, but a Piper Cub, in all its low and slow glory. Just puttering along, enjoying the day. What a sight!
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline Skygal

Re: Cub Sighting
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:12:22 PM »
I hope it was painted yellow, as all cubs should be.

airtac

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:54:38 PM »
I hope it was painted yellow, as all cubs should be.
And had 65 HP, as all cubs should be |:)\

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:29:38 PM »
Got one even better.....

Sitting on the back deck of after dinner at a friends house located in the Champlain Islands of VT. I was enjoying a cold one and my ears picked up the destintive drone of a round engine (Radial) as over the trees at about 200 agl fly's a beautiful white and green Waco YMF Biplane, out for a cruise on a lovely late summer afternoon. And if you're up this way you too can fly in it.... http://www.northernlightsvermont.com/Waco.htm

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:36:34 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhh, sweeeeeet...........   ;)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »
I've only seen a couple Cubs in Alaska.  The garden variety "Cub" up here is red and white, at least 180 hp and wheels 28" or bigger--or is on floats or skis.  Generally has at least one Kolpin "Gun boot" strapped to the wing struts. 
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »
Red and White... wasnt that Super Cub standart?

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »
Red and White... wasnt that Super Cub standart?

That's the joke ;) Not many "Cubs" in Alaska, but a whole heck of a lot of "Super Cubs"  ;D

Got a real close look at a REALLY nice yellow J-3 at ENA a few years ago.  They are cute little planes.
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »
Now I can die happy... ::angel::

Today was severe clear VFR. I was outside cleaning out the garage, when what to my wandering eyes should appear, but an aircraft flying low over the horizon - real low.  And not just any aircraft, of course, but a Piper Cub, in all its low and slow glory. Just puttering along, enjoying the day. What a sight!

Don't die until you have had a chance to fly one.  A J3 Cub with the 65hp engine is an absolute delight to fly!  Very few instruments, you just fly the wing by paying close attention to your horizon.  I just wish I would have had more opportunity to fly one so I could have become satisfied with my landings in it (I only flew it once last year).
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 01:44:15 AM »
Ryan, one of my fellow Line rats at work, had his first flying lesson in a Clip Wing J-3 last weekend (his roomate is a pilot with my company and a CFI) All was going well and he was having a blast when all of a sudden they had a cockpit full of smoke ::eek:: they popped open the door and side window and realized that the oil cap had come off and oil was spraying down the fuselage and all over the exhaust. they immediately started to look for a field to put down in but all the fields had been recently plowed. So Chad (the CFI) told Ryan to hold it straight and level and Chad climbed halfway out of the cockpit and put the oil cap back on. The cap had come off after about 50 minutes of flight. Anyway they made it back to the airport fine and had only lost about a quart and a half . The plane needed a good wash though.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

airtac

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 01:55:18 AM »
CLIMBED HALFWAY OUT OF COCKPIT--------- ::eek:: ::eek::   (somebody watched "never cry wolf" one too many times :D :D

Don't know if that was prudent ::sweat::

I have dead sticked an Aeronca defender into a plowed field after an engine shutdown and that prospect certainly scares me less than clambering around outside an airborne aircraft--- Yeah, and took off too out of the same plowed field after propping it.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 07:13:23 AM »
Ryan, one of my fellow Line rats at work, had his first flying lesson in a Clip Wing J-3 last weekend (his roomate is a pilot with my company and a CFI) All was going well and he was having a blast when all of a sudden they had a cockpit full of smoke ::eek:: they popped open the door and side window and realized that the oil cap had come off and oil was spraying down the fuselage and all over the exhaust. they immediately started to look for a field to put down in but all the fields had been recently plowed. So Chad (the CFI) told Ryan to hold it straight and level and Chad climbed halfway out of the cockpit and put the oil cap back on. The cap had come off after about 50 minutes of flight. Anyway they made it back to the airport fine and had only lost about a quart and a half . The plane needed a good wash though.

Brian
::unbelieveable:: any pictures of the plane before wash?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
I gotta see if Chad can e-mail it to me.... he took a couple of shots with his phone.

Brian

-

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »
And I thought it was bad enough, when oil started to drop fro the engine of ASu-31M as they were winding up prop today :) Oooh the sound of air being pressed into cylinders of this M-14PF 400hp radial engine.. I was in heaven standing about 3 meters from it... after watching entire process of getting in the plane and being sealed into "Zvezda" ejection seat taking some 10 minutes :)

Please dont kill me for saying I have left my camera at home.

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 05:08:55 PM »
Didn't we have a pic floating around the forum of a guy hand-propping his aircraft in midair?
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."