Author Topic: More Power!  (Read 19390 times)

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
Re: More Power!
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Remember, money doesn't make the world go around, Ailerons make the world go around!  ::rofl::

No truth Phil, sorry...

Unatentive controllers failing to clear it to land cause the go-arounds  ;) ::wave::
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2007, 08:34:37 PM »
I really think a T-6 or T-28 would be a neat plane to own.  High performance and a lot of fun with being fully aerobatic, plus you have dual seats to share the fun. 

Baradium, if come by the EAA pancake breakfast on June 2, at the CAP hangar we usually get one of the local T-28's on display.  And the owner really likes to talk about it.  The C-1 COD is usually there too.

Phil

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2007, 06:55:27 AM »
And yes, T-6's are a BLAST to fly  ;D  And the the EAA 1149 crew put on a great show--even at young eagle events.  Granted, so far the one I attended all I did was shuffle kids to the float pond and back to the CAP hangar, but it was a blast.  Got some great shots of 1903Z (That I took and Tundra CAN'T copyright  ;) ) when Tundra took some kids aloft. 

BTW, whoever can make it, the Alaska Aviation Expo is this weekend.  Tundra and I intend to be there with the munchkin (my 7 year old daughter) on probably saturday.  We'll be the the guys with the "Alaskan Aviators" hats.  Or if Tundra has lost his I'll be wearing my leather "Alaska Bush Pilot' hat :P...Or Maybe I'll say to hell with it and show up as 'Safari" Bob   ::rofl::
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2007, 04:46:33 PM »
I did know a guy who owned a CJ-6a,  he called it "a poor man's warbird."   It's a Chinese trainer that is somewhat similiar to a yak.    If you want a fully aerobatic aircraft than they are among the least expensive options.  Really loud though... get a good headset!

It's 5 o'clock Charlie!
That was from the MASH tv-series right?

Frank

That's right Frank.  I was hoping someone would catch that.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2007, 10:58:39 PM »
And yes, T-6's are a BLAST to fly  ;D  And the the EAA 1149 crew put on a great show--even at young eagle events.  Granted, so far the one I attended all I did was shuffle kids to the float pond and back to the CAP hangar, but it was a blast.  Got some great shots of 1903Z (That I took and Tundra CAN'T copyright  ;) ) when Tundra took some kids aloft. 

BTW, whoever can make it, the Alaska Aviation Expo is this weekend.  Tundra and I intend to be there with the munchkin (my 7 year old daughter) on probably saturday.  We'll be the the guys with the "Alaskan Aviators" hats.  Or if Tundra has lost his I'll be wearing my leather "Alaska Bush Pilot' hat :P...Or Maybe I'll say to hell with it and show up as 'Safari" Bob   ::rofl::

Still got mine!  Keep it in the plane  ;D

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2007, 07:01:46 AM »
I really think a T-6 or T-28 would be a neat plane to own.  High performance and a lot of fun with being fully aerobatic, plus you have dual seats to share the fun. 

Baradium, if come by the EAA pancake breakfast on June 2, at the CAP hangar we usually get one of the local T-28's on display.  And the owner really likes to talk about it.  The C-1 COD is usually there too.

Phil

What's the time frame?   Back in TN they had a fly in breakfast the second saturday of every month.  Was kind of nice being able to go really often and talk, look at the planes etc.

If I get the line I want, I should have that saturday off and will try to make it regardless.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2007, 07:32:12 AM »

Phil

What's the time frame?   Back in TN they had a fly in breakfast the second saturday of every month.  Was kind of nice being able to go really often and talk, look at the planes etc.

If I get the line I want, I should have that saturday off and will try to make it regardless.

I'll have to double check myself, but typically we start serving pancakes at 8am, and start flying young eagles at 9, and typically run till noon.  We've been combiniing the breakfast and young eagle the last couple years.  Seems to work out well and gives the parents something to do too (stuff their faces and drink coffee).  Also adds the thrill of knowing the kid you're taking for their first plane ride just had a big breakfast.  ::sick::   ::rofl::

We've been adding a few hands on demos too.  Like riveting, foam cutting and other aircraft building type stuff.  Also giving one on one tours of the T-28 and  C-1.

Phil   ::cowboy::

airtac

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2007, 03:42:11 PM »
Speaking of the Young Eagle program, have you checked out the new FAA rules on those kind of flights and the drug testing requirements?  Looks to me like "big brother" is being a bit too intrusive (if I read the rules right) >:(

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »
Speaking of the Young Eagle program, have you checked out the new FAA rules on those kind of flights and the drug testing requirements?  Looks to me like "big brother" is being a bit too intrusive (if I read the rules right) >:(

The FAA ruled, and sent a formal letter to EAA stating that the Young Eagles flights don't fall under the new charitable flights rules since the pilots or owners don't recieve any compensation.

Phil

airtac

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2007, 12:50:25 AM »

The FAA ruled, and sent a formal letter to EAA stating that the Young Eagles flights don't fall under the new charitable flights rules since the pilots or owners don't recieve any compensation.

Phil
That's cool |:)\