Author Topic: More Power!  (Read 19347 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
Re: More Power!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2007, 07:54:56 PM »
............. the car used for Need For Speed was inspired from a BMW Z3 (I wonder if Chuck and Julio boosted (stole) happy's Z3, I seem to remember it's even the same colour :D ).
Frank

Where is that strip Frank? it actually happens that my car isn't in the box since a lot of time.....
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »
We actually had a guy in my house unsat a stage check a few months back, because he forgot to take a chocks out.  Talk about an expensive mistake.

That was a bust?  That seems kind of cruel.  I did that on my first check ride.  Had to shut-down and retrieve them, but the rest of the flight went fine.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 02:21:09 PM by Gulfstream Driver »
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 09:51:12 PM »
Here is what gets me----the burn unit was on the edge of a MAJOR tourist attraction road---the road is a loop---I read that 80% of visitors to the Smoky Mountain NP, never---yep---NEVER  get out of their vehicle............ What happened to "being at one with nature"---"commune--commune".... What is with that?

Well if you didn't insist on bringing the dozer (cat) everywhere!  You could get by with normal sized vehicles.   ::loony::  But then I've always maintained that a C-130 would be the ultimate motor home/moose hunting vehicle.  8)

Phil

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 09:54:43 PM »
We actually had a guy in my house unsat a stage check a few months back, because he forgot to take a chocks out.  Talk about an expensive mistake.

That was an bust?  That seems kind of cruel.  I did that on my first check ride.  Had to shut-down and retrieve them, but the rest of the flight went fine.

I fully remembered to remove the chocks and cowling plugs and put them in the trunk of the car once.  As I started to taxi out after getting clearance I realized I'd left the trunk open ('boot' to those who speak real english)  :-[  Had to tell ground there would be a slight delay as I shut down, closed the trunk, strapped the tundra toy back on and got going again.  ::sweat::

Phil
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:05:11 PM by tundra_flier »

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 09:56:26 PM »
I'd ask him, but I can't convince him to meet at aviators or anything.  ;)

Wanted to go to the EAA meetings, but I end up working every single time.... the crux of doing the evening anchorage fliight most days!   ::knockedout::

Well maybe if you'd quite trying to convince me to buy a big boring plane  ::sulk::
I was drooling over the Pitts S-1C out behind Tamarack the other day wondering if it's owner would trade me.  Little planes rock!

Phil

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 10:45:33 PM »

That was an bust?  That seems kind of cruel.  I did that on my first check ride.  Had to shut-down and retrieve them, but the rest of the flight went fine.

One of my friends busted his MEI on preflight because he forgot to remove a cone that was in front of the plane.  So it's expensive but I bet the guy that busted never forgets the chocks again(trying to be positive) ::banghead::
WOW I did that!

airtac

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 02:13:36 AM »
Ask Tundra about Super Cubs....and how they used to fly UNDER his pattern when he had his "Ultra-Light"..... ::whistle::....I mean Antares MA33.  Standard pattern at Bradley was, what 1000' and Ultra Light pattern was what...500'....and the Cubs were UNDER him?  Ask him about his theory on "Cub pilots don't like to fly higher then they are willing to fall".

Me, a Super Cub is too darn small.....too many trips to take in the wife, daughter, Cat and the gear the wife insists on.  Heck, two guys, full fuel and a Keg is TECHNICALLY overloading a PA-18!

OK, I better sleep now...I'm getting silly!
Drink the keg first, THEN you can carry baggage ;D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 02:29:52 AM »
............. the car used for Need For Speed was inspired from a BMW Z3 (I wonder if Chuck and Julio boosted (stole) happy's Z3, I seem to remember it's even the same colour :D ).
Frank

Where is that strip Frank? it actually happens that my car isn't in the box since a lot of time.....
Isn't in the box? Meaning not in the garage? However I checked and I must've mixed something up about the colour since the strip was in grey-scale in the first book on page 27 (if you count the first page with strips as page 1).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2007, 07:04:05 AM »
Ask Tundra about Super Cubs....and how they used to fly UNDER his pattern when he had his "Ultra-Light"..... ::whistle::....I mean Antares MA33.  Standard pattern at Bradley was, what 1000' and Ultra Light pattern was what...500'....and the Cubs were UNDER him?  Ask him about his theory on "Cub pilots don't like to fly higher then they are willing to fall".

Me, a Super Cub is too darn small.....too many trips to take in the wife, daughter, Cat and the gear the wife insists on.  Heck, two guys, full fuel and a Keg is TECHNICALLY overloading a PA-18!

OK, I better sleep now...I'm getting silly!

No, no, if you drink the keg you have to go pee before you land!  BAD idea in Alaska...I like 3 hours of fuel and a 4 hour bladder!!!  (apologiese to Noel Wein!)
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2007, 07:35:36 AM »
Meaning not in the garage? However I checked and I must've mixed something up about the colour since the strip was in grey-scale in the first book on page 27 (if you count the first page with strips as page 1).

No, the car is there. I was just joking on the fact that you said they stole mine! But I'm using it almost zero, only if I've to go somewhere and I cannot walk or alternatively take the bus, in order to do my little to fight against global warming (at least I will not feel guilty next time I go flying!).
Hehe! it sometimes happens that you get misunderstood on colours. I went to a shop to buy a dress for a wedding (I'm going to be witness) and when I was asked by the future bride (my cousin) what's the colour of it, I was able to say it was yellow and it's green in truth. I presume it's a kind of colour memory mishap...
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »

Well maybe if you'd quite trying to convince me to buy a big boring plane  ::sulk::
I was drooling over the Pitts S-1C out behind Tamarack the other day wondering if it's owner would trade me.  Little planes rock!

Phil

There's a Beaver for sale that's supposed to be really really nice.... of course I hear he wants 300 for it  ::eek::

Wait... does that fall under big and boring?  

I havn't seen that Pitts... might have to swing by there...   I really think a T-6 or T-28 would be a neat plane to own.  High performance and a lot of fun with being fully aerobatic, plus you have dual seats to share the fun.    

I did know a guy who owned a CJ-6a,  he called it "a poor man's warbird."   It's a Chinese trainer that is somewhat similiar to a yak.    If you want a fully aerobatic aircraft than they are among the least expensive options.  Really loud though... get a good headset!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1098917/M/

I got to fly a little in one from the back seat, we weren't able to do any aerobatics though.  The first time he didn't have parachutes and the second time the weather closed in worse than forecast so we had to come back.  Under an hour total, but was still a blast.  Might be worth looking into if you really really want an aerobatic bird...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 01:01:50 AM »

Phil

There's a Beaver for sale that's supposed to be really really nice.... of course I hear he wants 300 for it  ::eek::

Wait... does that fall under big and boring?  

I havn't seen that Pitts... might have to swing by there...   I really think a T-6 or T-28 would be a neat plane to own.  High performance and a lot of fun with being fully aerobatic, plus you have dual seats to share the fun.    

I did know a guy who owned a CJ-6a,  he called it "a poor man's warbird."   It's a Chinese trainer that is somewhat similiar to a yak.    If you want a fully aerobatic aircraft than they are among the least expensive options.  Really loud though... get a good headset!

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1098917/M/

I got to fly a little in one from the back seat, we weren't able to do any aerobatics though.  The first time he didn't have parachutes and the second time the weather closed in worse than forecast so we had to come back.  Under an hour total, but was still a blast.  Might be worth looking into if you really really want an aerobatic bird...

Beaver comes under Big and Impressive.  But somehow I doubt the roll rate is anything to write home about.  Remember, money doesn't make the world go around, Ailerons make the world go around!  ::rofl::

Actually the good old little Pitts S-1 is about the best deal going in aerobatic planes.  They're competitive in everything except unlimited and usually sell for under $25k.  The one at tamarack is behind the blue parts building, the wings are hanging in the maintenance hangar.  It's a 160hp S-1C, Here's the specs. http://www.steenaero.com/PittsS1/specifications.cfm

Phil ::cowboy::

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 01:31:07 AM »

Airtac...I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!!!!!!
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 02:27:07 PM »

It's 5 o'clock Charlie!
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »

It's 5 o'clock Charlie!
That was from the MASH tv-series right?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci