Author Topic: More Power!  (Read 19349 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
More Power!
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:22:42 AM »
Is this little storyline going somewhere?    :D

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: More Power!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »
Interesting. In the english Pilot magazine this month the CW strip featured Chuck and Julio in the Skyhawk trying to taxi, with Chuck not remembering the chocks weren't removed. I thought Julio already put a new engine in it? At least I count 3 cylinder-domes on one side in a strip with Julio checking the engine in the second book, or does Roost Air have a Skylane too?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »
Could be an early 172 as well.  Before 1969 Cessna was using a 6-cyl. 145 hp Continental instead of the 4-cyl. 150hp Lycoming.

Or, Stef decided to draw an extra cylinder in there. ;)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 03:21:49 PM »
I think the Skyhawk needs a radial  ;)  Just think of it with an R-980!

That or he could put a NOS on the Lycoming!  Though I do kinda like the idea of a supercharger sticking out of the top of the cowling though ::whistle::
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
Could be an early 172 as well.  Before 1969 Cessna was using a 6-cyl. 145 hp Continental instead of the 4-cyl. 150hp Lycoming.

Or, Stef decided to draw an extra cylinder in there. ;)

There was another continental in later years as well putting out more horsepower than the lycomings... in addition to the IO-360s in the R172s putting up to 210hp.

We had one in one of our 172s at the flight school.  Don't remember the specific model of it though... want to say P model but might be making that up... it's no longer registered under the former tail number (meaning it's either gone or more likely someone wanted a different one).

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
Woah!  ::unbelieveable::
You guys are something else!

Chucks 172is a P-Model, and yes there is a plane with 6Cyl show in one of the strips in the book.
But is it Roost-Air's? or does Julio work on customer aircraft as well?  ? ? 
Oh, the mysteries . . .

btw Frank:
We sometimes take a joke and make a few strips out of it. As long as they all seem funny to us. I guess we never encountered somebody who reads our strips in all available magazines because they are not always all getting the same strips....  ;)
You're a true fan!  ::bow::
cheers!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:52:15 PM »
Thank you Mike, thank you both for one of the greatest comics in the world  |:)\
According to what I got by reading thrue the books again today then the 172 is an 88 P-model, possibly with a Lycomming engine (Jason asks this when he first meets Julio) and 50 gallon usable tanks which according to Jason would make them the Long Range tanks, a factory option I guess. For someone who asks a lot of questions he sure seems to know a lot of it alrady, except instrument-practice, he should've chosen something else than a saxophone :D

Btw when Julio and Sally talk about magnetos and the right-hand side show 3 cylinders then the aircraft is a FG Cessna, all-white (the wheel-covers aren't shown so I couldn't check for the twin red stripes on them) however it is a black 2-bladed prop with two red stripes near (but not on) the edge and with a white spinner just like 3 Bravo Tango. I guess the 6-cylinder model would be the Piper since both the Twin Otter and 500 to my knowledge are gasturbine-powered.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:54:41 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:11:37 AM »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 12:13:02 AM »
We actually had a guy in my house unsat a stage check a few months back, because he forgot to take a chocks out.  Talk about an expensive mistake.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 06:50:13 AM »
Chuck doesn't need more power, just bigger tires!  >:D  A set of 29" bushwheels would ride over those little chocks like nothing.  He wouldn't even feel them!   ::drinking::

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 06:52:41 AM »
Hey CJ-5, can I get the STC number for that blower mod to my plane?  At least blur the N number before you post my radical mods on the internet, who knows when the FAA is watching!  ::eek:: ::unbelieveable::

I think I'm gonna copywrite all images of Tundra Toy  ::sulk::

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 07:41:51 AM »
I do have to say the strip looks familiar, the multiple strips on the subject must explain it...   :D

I'm working on what continentals were out there...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 01:45:50 AM »
Ups! (whoops in danish) I just remembered something. Doesn't Roost Air also have a Pitts S-2? Is that the 6-cylinder model Mike mentioned?

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 04:58:44 AM »
If any of you were familar with the anime Ranma 1/2 I'd post my "High Flight" fanfic.  Has a "prim and proper" japanese girl learning to fly and getting in to a competition in an S-2S Pitts.  A "Gold Digger" crossover.  If you don't understand the previous couple of sentences please disregard :P

Oh, and Tundra, you can't copyright the image unless you are the PHOTOGRAPHER...Oh, wait...you DID take that pic.....I'll have to use one I took...darn it all! ::rambo::
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:00:22 AM by cj5_pilot »
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 05:27:07 AM »
I knew several animes, although sadly mostly it's just the kiddie-shows or the definately-not kiddie-shows that are most know but there are several others inbetween, some plain comedy ones, some dramas worthy of oscars. I wish there was an aviation-one like there are for cars, éX-Driver, Initial-D, Over Rev! (ok that last one is just a manga, comic) etc.

I think I know Ranma but haven't really seen more than trailers or screenshots, I'll take a look at AnimeNfo.com for specifics. Gold Digger is also a story right? I'm reading a lot of webcomics and a couple of them are running a long crossover at the moment, very interesting. Published comics (as some of the webcomics actually are as well) have made some april fools jokes where they've swapped strips to joke the readers, some were posted in the very long-running danish Beetle Bailey magazine, like Garfield visiting Blondie and eating his sandwhich :D

Edit: Ok I just checked, yes Ranma was what I thought it was, at least the base story. I also found Gold Digger but it was webcomic related (or at least it was I think).

Frank
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:31:44 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci