Author Topic: Is this a real picture?  (Read 33624 times)

Offline SteepTurn

• Cockerel
Re: Is this a real picture?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »
I am not sure if this is a real picture (but it can be, I've heard about these things before, usually in conjuction with an accident story...)

Coming from a guy who has flown helicopters professionally for 10 years now:
I have to say I think this is a pretty dumb thing to do in a helicopter.
One windgust and you're sucking the flag into your tailrotor...
... that's why helicopters should not be used for air traffic, it's too dangerous.
They only should stay on the ground as examlpes for failed experiments from sick minds ;-)
for climbing --> pull ** for decending --> continue pulling

Offline fliboye

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 04:44:03 PM »
took this one driving through Las Vegas NM.
I got into aviation because it was fun now I'm stuck cause I need the money ;-))))

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 04:24:52 PM »
Hmmm...looks pretty similar to the ones we see in Las Vegas, NV  ;)
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy

Offline fliboye

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2006, 09:22:55 AM »
even with the trailer in front. Been there ::) :o
I got into aviation because it was fun now I'm stuck cause I need the money ;-))))

Offline james anderson

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Looks like a doctored image!!!!!!!!!!

Tom
http://www.blogestates.com/blog/jacob

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 03:45:27 PM »
even with the trailer in front. Been there ::) :o

Hey, wait a sec!  That's my ex-girlfriends trailer!!!   :P ;D ::drinking::

I tell you what, she could suck a basketball through a garden hose!  Hehe.  ::cowboy::
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »
Since this thread got drug up to the top...

About the first picture ,fake ,cause if the engine gets on fire (explodes) goodbye Wing and half of the plane ,as said before : the fuel tanks are ABOVE the engine.
And about the second picture....i agree with Mike...Goodbye rotor and helicopter

As it's already been mentioned, engine exploding doesn't mean much for the wing going bye bye.

Looks like it's at least supposed to be a compressor stall, and those do make for some impressive fireballs with engines of that size.  They can lead to large amounts of flame from the front and rear of the engine for a short time.

Related to later in the thread:  that particular aircraft is on takeoff, not landing.  Engine would be at high thrust and thus it makes for some interesting effects with flames as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any good pictures of a compressor stall in forward flight at this time (although I have seen some before).   We had a 1900 that had a penchant for compressor stalls on the #2 engine for a while, but the PT-6 isn't nearly as impressive when it has them... simply a loud bang and surging in the power output from the engine.   

Here is an example of a C-17 in reverse thrust:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1132131/M/

However, it's misleading as a normal compressor stall at high output can leave some impressive signs.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 10:56:24 PM »
OK, how about this new Canadair product, the Super CRJ950???

Real or fake?  Hehe   ::cowboy::

Offline AirScorp

• Rooster
  • Nick
    • Me on myspace
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 12:58:18 AM »
Naw! Wings too large!

But I would like to see it rotate!
It's all Greek to me!

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 01:30:55 AM »
Damn!! I don't think I could fit that on my ramp at work to clear customs ::rofl:: ::rofl:: .... I got a lot of brand new CRJ's since the factory is "just" up the road in Montreal and they stop in Burlington when they come into the States.

Brain

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline arandomguy

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 03:56:57 PM »
roostercruiser, i'm pretty sure thats real, i saw one fly over, only took 15 mins to completely pass tee hee
so basically I'm just some random guy who joined this cause i felt like it, yay first solo, me and my bro did it the same day!

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 11:27:36 PM »
Isn't there a custom shop in Hollywood making those stretch planes?   ::rofl::
If it was painted entirely black I might believe it.

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 03:27:13 PM »
Real or fake pic?

Here's the story:
Family on holiday in Australia for a week and a half when husband, wife and their 15 year old son decided to go scuba diving.
The husband is in the navy and has had some scuba experience. His son wanted a pic of his mum and dad in all their gear so got theunderwater camera on the go.  When it came to taking the pic the dad realized that the son looked like he was panicking as he took it and gave the "OK" hand sign to see if he was all right. The son took the pic and swam to the surface and back to the boat as quick as he could so the mum and dad followed to see if he was OK.When they got back to him he was scrambling onto the boat in an absolute panic. When the parents asked why, he said "There was a shark behind you" and the dad thought he was joking but the skipper of the boat said it was true and that they wouldn't believe him if he told them what it was.
As soon as they got back to the hotel they put the pic onto the laptop and this is what they saw.
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 09:10:53 PM »
Fake

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/scubashark.asp

...the image displayed is in the same vein (as the World Trade Center picture hoax):  tourists engaged in a fun activity happily posing for a photographer, blissfully unaware of the mortal danger looming behind them (complete with a fabricated backstory to explain the ghoulish juxtaposition to viewers).

Like the tourist photograph (tourist atop the WTC on Sept 11) from 2001, this image of scuba divers with their backs to a menacing shark approaching from just a few feet away is a digital manipulation.

I must admit, Snopes.com is quickly becoming a welcome addition to my shock-proof Bull$hit detector.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:21:43 PM by Rooster Cruiser »

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 12:38:57 AM »
I just found this, that's a toughie since the frame around the doors does look practical for a helicopter conversion, and the shaft being offset inside could be the curved window. Btw it's a old VW model that was rear-engined.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci