Author Topic: Is this a real picture?  (Read 33617 times)

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
Is this a real picture?
« on: January 07, 2006, 04:15:23 PM »
I found this on the internet. Is this the work of a computer nerd or did it really happen?
Does anybody know?

If it's a real picture it definetly belongs here at "There I was..."  ;D ha ha
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy

Offline Have Blue

Re: Is this a real picture?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 07:53:06 PM »
That looks pretty photoshopped. ;)
"I'm sure as hell not a killer, but flying combat is like a game, and a guy likes to come out on top."
-George Preddy, P-51 ace

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 05:45:24 AM »
No expert here but looks fake to me.
WOW I did that!

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »
Chopped...  ::)
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline gs_bhoday

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 01:18:11 PM »
eever so fake that is...the flames would have engulfed the whole wings, thats where the fuel tanks are!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 12:44:27 AM »
eever so fake that is...the flames would have engulfed the whole wings, thats where the fuel tanks are!

This brings up a question in my warped little mind...
Why DO the put the fueltanks right on top of the engine?
Can that be? ???
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 02:24:05 AM »
Here's another picture............... I want your thoughts on this one!  What the heck?!
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 04:39:38 AM »
I am not sure if this is a real picture (but it can be, I've heard about these things before, usually in conjuction with an accident story...)

Coming from a guy who has flown helicopters professionally for 10 years now:
I have to say I think this is a pretty dumb thing to do in a helicopter.
One windgust and you're sucking the flag into your tailrotor...

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 12:04:17 PM »
About the first picture ,fake ,cause if the engine gets on fire (explodes) goodbye Wing and half of the plane ,as said before : the fuel tanks are ABOVE the engine.
And about the second picture....i agree with Mike...Goodbye rotor and helicopter

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 10:54:37 PM »
Could it be a picture of a helicopter meshed with a picture of a skydiver attached to that flag?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline SkyKing

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 07:59:33 PM »
I found this on the internet. Is this the work of a computer nerd or did it really happen?
Does anybody know?

If it's a real picture it definetly belongs here at "There I was..."  ;D ha ha

Good job but shopped.

A large part of the airflow is OVER the wing, and it's "heavy" under the wing.  The flames look like they are in free air, neither going over the wing or up toward it.

Also, there would be a HUGE amount of smoke from such a poor fuel-air mixture.

Offline SkyKing

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 08:01:54 PM »
Here's another picture............... I want your thoughts on this one!  What the heck?!

The helo pic is for real, and this type of ad is getting more popular, taking over from the string banners just like skytyping took over from skywriting (before the Save-the-Mosquito folks killed the "pollution for pay" business).

Offline SkyKing

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 08:07:35 PM »
I am not sure if this is a real picture (but it can be, I've heard about these things before, usually in conjuction with an accident story...)

Coming from a guy who has flown helicopters professionally for 10 years now:
I have to say I think this is a pretty dumb thing to do in a helicopter.
One windgust and you're sucking the flag into your tailrotor...

That would have to be one heck of a gust.  If you look carefully, you can see the weight at the bottom of the line.  Also notice how much pull he has going there -- he's got a LOT of drag going there.

I was at a trade show in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and there were a couple of these guys flying around.  Nobody noticed the three fixed-wing guys.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »
Nope, I still stand by it. I still think there are smarter things you can do with a helicopter.
I know of somebody, in Las Vegas actually, who got the banner in his T/R. I am not sure how
(something on take-off) but it almost killed him. He is flying again now but it took a long time to recover....

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 06:55:03 PM »
We did banner flights in the army. Well in this case you call it flags. To me it is more dangerous flying back with an empty rope on the hook with no or too less weight on it. Speed matters in both cases.

The fire on the engine on the big plane is a fake and not even a good one. The aircraft lands with high speed and therefore it is impossible to have the flames in front of the engine. This is not possible even if the engine is running on ground with no speed. There is still a mass of air going through tat engine. Sky King mentioned the missing smoke trail.

On modern aircraft an engine on fire cannot take out a wing so easily. The placement of fire protection sections and distance of the tanks to the engine they help in this case.
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.