Author Topic: Ignominious (and just funny) Moments in Aviation.......  (Read 33863 times)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Re: Ignominious (and just funny) Moments in Aviation.......
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2007, 01:19:21 AM »
Ouch.... Rough day, if ya' got your multi... I think we might be hiring some more King Air FO's..... that is if you can stand Vermont winters  ::rofl::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline RagDragger

• Fledgling
  • Indian Name: Running Tab
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2007, 02:45:10 AM »
Hell, this is too much fun to give up after just one season.  I do have my multi, but I'd wager I'd end up taking a paycut.  Don't have my 135 mins either.  As to Vermont winters, I'm from South Dakota.
God looks out for drunks and dumb animals.  Fortunately, I qualify on both counts.

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2007, 02:27:17 AM »
Hell, this is too much fun to give up after just one season.  I do have my multi, but I'd wager I'd end up taking a paycut.  Don't have my 135 mins either.  As to Vermont winters, I'm from South Dakota.

If you're from SD.. the winters will be warmer  ::rofl:: ::rofl::

I think our new hire King Air FO's are making in the $27,000 range. As far as the 135 mins, I don't think it matters initially since all our captains are ATP's and we're flying what is technically a single pilot airplane (King Air C-90). One of my fellow line rats got on as an FO a couple of months back with under 400 total and a pretty fresh commercial/multi from ATP. but he got on with the low hours because the company likes to hire from within if they can. 500 total is more like the numbers they want to see.

as an example of the hire from within policy, one of our FO's is another former line guy who is currently 21 years old, has under a 1,000 total and is an FO on the King Air and Citation Excel and is going to Citation Encore school next month (flying the Excel is kinda hard to juggle with college at the same time, the Encore doesn't go away for a week at a time)

Our company is really growing, we've got 4 C-90's, the Encore, we just bought a second Excel, and we will be getting a Challenger 604 in October (sold our old 601 back in May) and we've ordered a brand new Global 5000 for delivery in 2010. the plan is to at least double out hangar space in the next 2 years as well.

Heck, I gotta do an internal interview Monday for a possible promotion to be the Weekend Line Service Supervisor.... Cross your fingers  ::sweat::

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2007, 03:20:59 AM »
Now that I think harder on it....the most embarrasing moment I've had in the air was sheer stupidity on my part.  It was mid summer 2000 and I was coming back from Talkeetna (to Kenai) on my long cross country.  I was over Anchorage's C-Space (You want some messed up airspace?  Check out Anchorage....only town I know that's got it's own chapter in the FAR's!) when I was asked for my altitude.  I looked at the altimeter and replied 5500'.  They asked me to double check and then squawk...I did and replied 5500'....They told me my transponder was showing a different altitude...I promised to have it checked when I landed......5 minutes later I looked and realized I'd read the altimeter wrong and I was at 4500'.......I was pretty well past Anchorage at that point and decided to just boogie on to Kenai......We won't go in to the high crosswind landing and having the tower tell me to expedite when I got there....
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2007, 06:03:52 AM »

If you're from SD.. the winters will be warmer  ::rofl:: ::rofl::

I think our new hire King Air FO's are making in the $27,000 range. As far as the 135 mins, I don't think it matters initially since all our captains are ATP's and we're flying what is technically a single pilot airplane (King Air C-90). One of my fellow line rats got on as an FO a couple of months back with under 400 total and a pretty fresh commercial/multi from ATP. but he got on with the low hours because the company likes to hire from within if they can. 500 total is more like the numbers they want to see.

as an example of the hire from within policy, one of our FO's is another former line guy who is currently 21 years old, has under a 1,000 total and is an FO on the King Air and Citation Excel and is going to Citation Encore school next month (flying the Excel is kinda hard to juggle with college at the same time, the Encore doesn't go away for a week at a time)

Our company is really growing, we've got 4 C-90's, the Encore, we just bought a second Excel, and we will be getting a Challenger 604 in October (sold our old 601 back in May) and we've ordered a brand new Global 5000 for delivery in 2010. the plan is to at least double out hangar space in the next 2 years as well.

Heck, I gotta do an internal interview Monday for a possible promotion to be the Weekend Line Service Supervisor.... Cross your fingers  ::sweat::

Brian

Dang, maybe I should be sending your outfit a resume...  What might they have for a former 135 Chief Pilot/PC12 Driver/Piston Charter Pilot and Fr8Dawg/Line Boy and Office Manager/Chicken Haulin' Truck Driver?  Oh, did I mention I lived in South Dakota for 4 and 1/2 years?  Worked in North Dakota during much of that time too.   ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead::
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 06:05:48 AM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2007, 01:26:28 AM »
Got any Citation time?????? If you do you might be able to walk into a Captains slot if you have your ATP ;D  Actually I think they just hired another pilot in the last week or so, and we also had one leave the company to go fly a G-V outta Dulles. Greg, our Chief Pilot is always taking resumes. never know whan something might pop up. Drop me a PM and I'll give you the address to send it to.

Brian

-