Author Topic: Big Quandry  (Read 2887 times)

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
Big Quandry
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »
Greetings All.

Right now I'm at a crossroads as what to do with my life. Currently I'm an Iron worker, more precisley a "rod-buster". But since the construction season is still about a month off, I'm sitting at home waiting for the season to start. The more I think about it the more, I'm considering getting my commerical pilot's license. Since I'm on layoff right now the government might pay for the license (how cool is that!! ;D ;D) All I need is about 120 hours (100 on floats).

It's just that it's hard for a 0 time commercial pilot to get work, and even so it would be hard to get the hours. My former instructor says I may be more likely to get work compared to other rookies.  as My size would help. I don't want to be an instructor, as I'm not much of a people person. At the same time with all the baby boomers retiring, it would seem to be a good time to get into (or any other) the field.

My question to all you pilots who fly for a living, is it a comfortable living financially wise? How long did you have to go before you could actually turn a tiny profit? I'd like to eventually buy a house.
I'm flying solo, so no family to hold me down, but not out of the question that I would like to get married (ladies? ;) ;) :D) getting old now though.

I was also thinking about being a rig-jockey, 5 weeks training with a good job upon completion. But I don't know if I'd be happy with that.

As far as I'm concerned airplanes rock, but I'm just not sure. Advice?
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Big Quandry
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:19:35 PM »
Entry level jobs into this market place don't really pay all that great.  You can make a decent living eventually though.

It sounds like you want to do float ops?  That'd be part 135 single pilot and will require 500 hours total time.   There are operators that hire at that time but to be hired with less than that you'll need to get hired on as an SIC somewhere.    135 guys up here can make fairly good money though.

The first job is the hardest to find, there traditionally has been a large gap between license requirements and hiring requirements, but they are much much closer than they've been in a long time.  Some regionals are hiring really close to wet commercial tickets, but that will require a commercial multiengine land rating as well.

I love fllying, but it's got its downsides.   It takes a specific personality trait to enjoy flying as a career.  You need to be one of those people that can flying over 100 hours in a month and still want to talk about flying.  There are some guys with us that aren't like that, and I wonder how they will view it 20 years from now.  For some reason they don't want to talk about "work" when they are at home.   Then there are others and we can get home from work and talk about flying all day.

The first few years you might not make any more than the guy at McDonalds.  First year regional pay is about that level and depending on where you go it can take a litle bit to get better.   Most flying jobs aren't the 100k a year for working a few days a month that most people think they are.  There are regional jobs out there that start out less than 20k a year.   

There is a large gap between money required to get trained and into a job and what they actually pay, but if it means having a job that you enjoy going to... it can still be well worth it.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:51:12 PM »
Not having a family would make an entry level position easier, because you'll never be home.  It does take some time to see a return on your training investment, but if you truly love it, it's worth every penny.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:56:11 PM »
Not sure exactly how old you are, but if you're under 30, you may want to consider looking at controlling.  Its a federal job, great benefits, and stable career.  If you want the BS it will take awhile, however, many colleges offer an AS degree which could potentially take less than two years to complete.  There are even some centers which are hiring off the street with no degree at all.  If you want more information, I can send it your way.  You must complete CTI training by your 30th birthday, however I hear they are waiving that requirement now that they are desperate.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...