Author Topic: I Found a Cheap Flying Book  (Read 3360 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
I Found a Cheap Flying Book
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »
This may be a waste of space, but Hey, with me, what's new there, eh?

I was in a Borders bookstore yesterday, and happened to glance at the tables of the cheapie books they have by the checkout.  You know -- the mounds of strange books they can't sell, so they mark them way down?

There was a large, glossy, softcover book called "Aircraft Anatomy of World War II", and it has photos and technical drawings of "key aircraft from 1939 to 1945".  Included are 50 color prints, and a lot of neat photos, besides all the technical drawings.  It's a beautiful book, and for a whopping $5.99, I couldn't resist it.

I have no idea if it would be that cheap at any other stores, but here's the ISBN if you happen to be interested: 
978-1-905704-32-3.

Cheers!   8)

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: I Found a Cheap Flying Book
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »
I've gotten a few good book-deals in Denmark too like that, sadly there I don't have much shelf-space as it is here :(

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:52:36 PM »
There was a large, glossy, softcover book called "Aircraft Anatomy of World War II", and it has photos and technical drawings of "key aircraft from 1939 to 1945".  Included are 50 color prints, and a lot of neat photos, besides all the technical drawings.  It's a beautiful book, and for a whopping $5.99, I couldn't resist it.

I have no idea if it would be that cheap at any other stores, but here's the ISBN if you happen to be interested: 
978-1-905704-32-3.

Cheers!   8)

thanks for the advise Soccermom! And yours, it was a wonderful catch since at amazon, second hand, it would cost around 17 $ at least.
...I never started a thread alike before, but to tell the truth you probably threw the first stone, so I will keep surfing your wave.
So, mates, if it happens that you decide to buy the book, and you find yourself in a bookstore, and are willing to buy something more....I finished yesterday a book entitled "the shadow of the wind" by carlos ruiz xafon. it's currently the second time I read it, since it's too too too beautiful and it completely captured me either the first time, or the second one. So, if you are looking for something that is at the same time funny and deep, that contains pasteled emotions and makes you feel as you're in another epoch, trying to solve an story into a story, losing the external perception of time, captured deep inside the pages, go for it! the only flaw: there are no planes! :)
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 02:39:36 AM »
OOh, we could start a BOOK thread, that is always of interest, to me anyway....  yes?   :D

Of course, it would be pretty hard to roost here in the coop and not fall off, trying to hold on to a book with two little short wings......   ::thinking::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
OOh, we could start a BOOK thread, that is always of interest, to me anyway....  yes?   :D

Of course, it would be pretty hard to roost here in the coop and not fall off, trying to hold on to a book with two little short wings......   ::thinking::

well, the next one, is so feathery and light that I presume no chicken will have any problem with the short wings.

the author is Alain de Botton, partly Swiss, and the title is "on love" for the US and "essays on love" for the UK. rarely I found a book so special, and actually, in three years and something since I first discovered it, I reread it at least twenty times, to the point that I know some parts by heart.
on the basis of a love story,  the author digresses on what love is, on how a relationship comes to life, devolpes and die, making you think, making you smile, making you laugh, making you wonder, making you cry sometimes (but it could be that I'm a tender heart... :)).
the magic is that... 1) it's not a novel for women only, but for every one who has touched cloud niner at least once or wonders what it does mean, 2) the skeleton of every thought that is brought into it is a normal love story, in which probably everybody will recognize. 3) I would define it at the very end, as a philosophical approach to the explanation of love, in fact the author takes into accounts the different ideas, from Plato to Mill, in order to try to understand why a relation work, why there is love, why we behave in certain ways...but - in all that, the skeleton on which the thoughts and perceptions and philosophical ideas are mounted - the love story AdB describes - even if it is an everyday relationship, it never takes a secondary part, on the contrary, it's bewitching and strong enough and described so well, that it glows like it were something magic. and the philosophical interpretations enter into account in a marveillous way, with equilibrium and they both do not disturb the other side: I mean, you never feel as it were only a philosophical book, and you never feel as it were only a love story. that's why I used the world feathery before. it touches you with the same lightness, it's a book that cuddles.  ::angel:: ::angel::

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 07:46:16 PM by happylanding »
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.