Author Topic: Best Car Chase Scenes  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Best Car Chase Scenes
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
Gone in 60 Seconds. (the remake)  Nicholas Cage did all the driving except for the jump (and most of that was CGI anyway). 

Also Torque.  Really bad movie about Super Sport motorcycles, but near the end there is a car chase in which the FBI chases them in a NASCAR.  Dont ask how he got it but yea.  Also in the end of that movie there is a bike chase on the Y2K bike (jet engine powered super sport) kinda neat but a lot of CGI as well.
Actually, it's been said later that Cage did not do it but there was a steeringwheel to the backseat. I also did wonder since in the start of the chase where he does a 180 to avoid the cops, he doesn't steer as much (or at all) when the car moves, and throttle and brake control couldn't do that.
The car that physically jumped up and landed had 800lb/in springs and as you can see, it still smashed the suspension (it's in the trailer that's on the DVD that shows more than the swerve after the landing, the frontwheels had extreme camber so I suspect the frame/links got bent and it actually oversteered and hit the wall but the scene was cut before that for the movie).
Also, the car in the movie was supposed to be a GT500 but were just normal 67-68 Mustang fastbacks. Several people call the movie-car GT500E but that's the name of a limited edition model made after it, except it had different instruments and a ugly raised bump on the nose. The real Eleanor in the movie had normal instruments but a racing tachometer on the steeringcoloumn, the production GT500E has all-white aftermarket instruments mounted in the dash.

The moviecar, or some of them for stuntwork at least, had rack-and-pinion steering with a new power-steering system allowing much more precise steering and coilover suspension and GoodYear F1 245/40-17 tires. The high-speed model used a Ford motorsport V8 with 400hp. Some of the cars had automatic transmission, possibly for use for Cage for filming his face when driving past the camera.

They did plan on really speeding in the flood control, but it had been flodded when they arrived so it physically wasn't possible to drive that fast, therefore they undercranked the camera. That's the scene btw with the A-Star doing some seriously low flying. In that scene however I hate that he pushed the nitrous oxide button when the tachometer reads 7000+ rpm, that would surely smash even a sturdy US V8 engine, not to mention that the increased power had to be able to be transferred to the ground by the tires.
Oh yeah, one more detail, when he starts Eleanor, it's not a Ford starter engine. When he drives across the road where the cruiser gets hit by a bus, you can see a key in the ignition. When he restarts the car after it stalled after loosing the cops in the flood control, he only uses one hand, where he used two hands to operate the two picks in the garage.

A real fast carchase could be in the french movie Taxi (the one that the US version was a remake of, that even Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon couldn't make funny, and that btw did have CG effects). The Peugeot 406 stuntcars were driven by famous french rally and stunt drivers and actually did drive pretty fast, not sped-up filming. Evidence indicates that one of the scenes actually used a 406 Touringcar (racecar) since a rollcage and a very low seated driver could be seen in shadow thrue some heavily tinted windows.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 09:47:16 PM »
You sure know aa LOT about cars Frank!

I have to agree on Luc Bessons Taxi, my favorite scene is, out of the Taxi 2s mass crash under the Eifell Tower, I think aslo in 2 where Daniel comments rally 106 or 206 "crappy tourist blocking the road"
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 11:45:43 PM »
You sure know aa LOT about cars Frank!

I have to agree on Luc Bessons Taxi, my favorite scene is, out of the Taxi 2s mass crash under the Eifell Tower, I think aslo in 2 where Daniel comments rally 106 or 206 "crappy tourist blocking the road"
Saying that I know a lot about cars is like saying Mike knows a little bit about flying helicopters :D What do you think I was interested in before flying became an option? :D

In the second movie Jean-Luis Schlesser (who was also a stunt-driver on the first movie I think) drove a Peugeot 306 Maxi Kit Car. It's the fastest fwd racecar there is. Unrestricted (as opposed to the AWD turbo-charged World Rally Cars) ca 280hp naturally aspirated 2L engines, 6-speed sequential transmission with FWD, extended wheelarches to allow larger diameter tires/brakes and wider track and almost 300kg lower minimum weight than the WRC cars (960kg vs 1230kg if I remember correctly, who are only allowed to have some 300hp for safety reasons) meant that the WRC were totally dusted on tarmac rallies! Who said a FWD can't drive fast?

Here's a clip I found from the first movie, it's really funny :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_a6PazdaA&feature=related

Also a funny note, french car in france, but it's using italian Pirelli tires not Michelin :D
Btw, race-taxi seems to use smaller than std. wheels (overall diameter), I think that's to get the car lower to the ground without having to change the suspension geometry too much which would happend if they lowered the car using shorter springs. The spoilers in the first movie also seem to be inspired by the real-life 406 touringcar. In the later movies they kind-of went more and more crazy, but hey, it's just a crazy comedy so no harm done :)

The mass-crash in Japan is also really funny, but since the first movie there's been some wild scenes in each movie, however no one ever visibly got hurt however. Also great of the japanese (?) couple seen in one of the crash clips, sitting just meters from the cars looking bored without even blinking as the cars crash behind them!

Oh yeah, one more thing. The black Mitsubishi's are in the movie appearently a new model and straight from Japan, and they have what appear to be japanese licenseplates on, then how come all shots of the interior and driver clearly show a LHD car? That black livery with those silver multi-spoke OZ Racing rims and the black interior with silver trim was furthermore a specific european "Black Diamond" edition. The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VI was however brand new in 1999 and since Taxi 2 was relelased in 2000 then it was probably brand new when the movie was filmed. The EVO VII based on the new chassis wasn't released until 2001. I guess it's easier to get 3 licenseplate sets than 3 whole cars from Japan.

Sadly, a cameraman was killed when the stunt-taxi overshot jumping over the tanks and further injured another person. I just read that now on www.imdb.com. I actually thought the tank-jump was a cgi-effect, specifically for safety reasons :(

Frank
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:00:49 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »
I'm with Brian and Oddball ----- I'd vote Bullet as best of the best chase scenes ever--I believe Steve McQueen did his own driving---I think he also did his own motorcycle riding in "The Great Escape" |:)\

he did all of his own stunts in both of those films aritac, in bullet when you see the mustang fly he cracked three sumps and the spin out you see was a mistake steve over cooked it going into that corner, the dodge charger actullay crashed into a parked car but they kept it in, and if you watch the scene where the dodge "hits " the peterol station the sfx guys miss timed the release and the car goes behind it instead of into it, ok im a BIG bullet fan (or is that nerd?  ::thinking::) and there are many other things i can go into but i wont
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
You made me wanna see the movie Oddbal. Charger is amongst my all-time favourite cars.