Author Topic: Best Car Chase Scenes  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Best Car Chase Scenes
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:40:15 PM »
So I was watching Ronin on TV last night and HAD to stay up until 2 am to see the last chase scene.  I understand The French Connection has a good one, too.  Any others?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Yuppie01

• Fledgling
  • He who laughs last...didn't get the joke.
Re: Best Car Chase Scenes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 08:13:33 PM »
Ronin is one of the BEST, most under appreciated films EVER!!!!  Certainly one of John Frankenheimer's best.  I love Jean Reno in just about everything he is in.

This may seem corny, but the Tractor-trailer/motorcycle chase in Terminator 2 is one of my favourites.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
One of my all time favorites is the chase in Dead Pool, between Harry, radio controlled car and then the guy "driving" the radio controlled car AND driving the car he is in and chasing Harry and the radio controlled car ....phew... ::unbelieveable:: ......... only in a Dirty harry movie  ::bow::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 10:53:47 PM »
You can't forget about the Best and one of the first Car chases.... BULLITT ::rambo:
Also The tank  that James Bond uses in Golden Eye is pretty awesome too

Brian
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 10:57:10 PM by BrianGMFS »

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Yuppie01

• Fledgling
  • He who laughs last...didn't get the joke.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:12:55 AM »
Oh....and what about "The Itallian Job" (both versions)  Any time you can use a Mini in a car chase, it will become a classic!!!  (Charleze Theron doesn't hurt in the scene either)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:21:33 AM »
Oh MAN.    ::)

I can't believe no one has mentioned the terrorists beng chased through the desert in "Team America"!!  When Gary has to be rescued by his girlfriend on the star-spangled motorcycle?!?!?!?

"Durka durka!!"

"It's ME, it's ME!!"

"What'd he say?"

"I think he's saying, 'Kiss me, kiss me'."

::rofl::

::rofl::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:22:47 AM »
Well I've never seen that movie, but how about Taxi? (The real version, not the non-flattering US-version, no offence to Queen Latifah or Jimmy Fallon though). The two following movies got a little more reality-bending with what the car could do but still fun and still some real cars driving though. In the first movie it seemed like some of the scenes was a Touring Car (that had the front and rear spoiler the Taxi bodykit was clearly modelled after), the roll-bar was visible and the driver's head which was very low in the seat thrue the very dark tinted windows. In the 1980s then the first episode of the danish action-drama Once a Cop had probably the greatest carchase in danish movie-history, an early Ford Sierra was chased by the police in a Toyota Corolla respectively driven by two danish racing-legends Thorkild Thyrring and Eric Høyer. The race took the thrue the streets of Copenhagen until finally being stopped at one of the bridges that cross from the Zealand mainland to the Amager island where the eastern part of Copenhagen is on, and on the east part of Amagar is the town of Kastrup where EKCH is located. Here's a picture from a jump in the chase-scene with the two cars. Thyrring did the jump at 60 kph and Eric did the same, but the Sierra is a rwd car and the Corolla is a shorter fwd so it had a lot more weight on the front and only rapid action from Mr. Høyer made the car land back on all four wheels in the same direction and the director liked it so much it was kept in the movie. A similar chase over harbour areas and thrue a storage-building and loading-dock as in Once a Cop was made much later for the later danish hit drama-series Taxa that revolved around a Taxa-company also in Copenhagen, this time the cab-driver tried to reach someone in a borrewed Lexus IS200 but was reported to the police from the dealer he borrowed it at (I think, it was some time ago I saw it).

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »
Was Taxi the one with Robert DeNiro? 

I can't believe I forgot to mention the original Blues Brothers in my first post.   ::banghead::
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 05:08:09 PM »
No that was "Taxi Driver"
Look here for the first car from Luc Besson's Taxi http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_726-Peugeot-406-1996.html?PHPSESSID=3b73989baa9a1fdd681ec50c2821dd0c
The picture with the Ducati being overtaken is the one I think was done with a 406 Touring Car but this picture doesn't have enough back-lightning but the semi-open covers for the front fog lights are a dead give-away since no street-model had those. Also note it seems to have been mounted with extra-low tires giving a smaller-than-usual tire-diameter, possibly to lower the car without having to lower the suspension too much as not to change the geometry too much. Also funny I noticed in a close-up one of the stuntcars uses italian Pirelli P-Zero tires and not french Michelin tires. Several famous racing-drivers were used as stunt-drivers and almost no special effects were used in the movies (there are some of course but otherwise it's real speed).

Frak
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 07:47:39 PM »
I'm usually for trash movie  ::whistle:: ::whistle::, for that reason I'm quite sure I could never provide any good idea. but I was thinking about an old tv serial, with two cousins, brothers or something alike in a orange car, or whatever. weren't they being chased all around by the police?

I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:18:34 PM »
The Dukes of Hazard?

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
Yessssss!  |:)\ I could not retrieve it....don't ask my why, but my memory kept saying the Chipmunks that have nothing to do with it...... ::thinking:: ::thinking::
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 09:14:36 AM »
ok old thread again but what about the first "REAL" chase filmed on unclosed roads? has any one said BULLET yet starring steve mcqueen in a 67 mustang (just wipe the drool from my chin) now that was a chase
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

airtac

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
I'm with Brian and Oddball ----- I'd vote Bullet as best of the best chase scenes ever--I believe Steve McQueen did his own driving---I think he also did his own motorcycle riding in "The Great Escape" |:)\

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 07:14:44 PM »
Gone in 60 Seconds. (the remake)  Nicholas Cage did all the driving except for the jump (and most of that was CGI anyway). 

Also Torque.  Really bad movie about Super Sport motorcycles, but near the end there is a car chase in which the FBI chases them in a NASCAR.  Dont ask how he got it but yea.  Also in the end of that movie there is a bike chase on the Y2K bike (jet engine powered super sport) kinda neat but a lot of CGI as well.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:16:42 PM by undatc »
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...