Author Topic: JFK Ground, "Chuck is that you?"-style  (Read 12121 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: JFK Ground, "Chuck is that you?"-style
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
I love this one,.... still!

I don't know how many people I already showed this to. And just like undatc said, it gets funnier every time. I bet they were all laughing their @$$ off when not transmitting.....

thanks again for posting this  ::wave::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
this is great!

at least he's keeping his composure and his sense of humor!

I sat in United once in JFK and it started snowing and got to listen to this for over an hour while they where deicing. fun!!

which russian guy are you talking about? the Iberia guy is spanish, isn't he?!
(Iberia is a spanish airline)
I finally just listened to it now, after a couple of hours driving thrue downtown Copenhagen, and this makes that look like a walk in the park! (actually the drive was pretty calm even though I lost my way a bit, it was outside of rush-hour traffic at least, and got to see the new Merlin helo twice)
I agree with Mike on the controller's handling of the situation  |:)\

And another good thing was that most of them actually spoke calmly and clearly and not that mumble-hyperspeak I've heard on some other radio-recordings which made me get scared of ever becoming PIC.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Yuppie01

• Fledgling
  • He who laughs last...didn't get the joke.
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 05:58:10 PM »
I thought this was great!!!  It sure felt like a domino that once the first plane got out of sequence, the rest of them just stacked up behind them.  Classic!!!

By the way, if you have never experienced NY ATC in person, I have to tell you, for a novice pilot, it is VERY intimidating.  I did a night cross country during my training that took me through the NY Bravo airspace.  Between the multitude of aircraft keying the mic at the same time and ATC drilling through instructions faster that that guy in the old FedEX commercials, it really keeps you on your toes.

I have been in and out of the Philadelphia Bravo a few times and originally I thought that was fun...but compared to NY, it was a cakewalk.  I am sure you guys out in California have the same issues between LA and San Fran.  Now I stay only venture in with the big guys if I REALLY have to, otherwise, it is a few minutes and a few dollars of AVGAS to save myself the heartache.

Just thought I would through that in there.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 06:10:21 PM »
I thought this was great!!!  It sure felt like a domino that once the first plane got out of sequence, the rest of them just stacked up behind them.  Classic!!!

By the way, if you have never experienced NY ATC in person, I have to tell you, for a novice pilot, it is VERY intimidating.  I did a night cross country during my training that took me through the NY Bravo airspace.  Between the multitude of aircraft keying the mic at the same time and ATC drilling through instructions faster that that guy in the old FedEX commercials, it really keeps you on your toes.

I have been in and out of the Philadelphia Bravo a few times and originally I thought that was fun...but compared to NY, it was a cakewalk.  I am sure you guys out in California have the same issues between LA and San Fran.  Now I stay only venture in with the big guys if I REALLY have to, otherwise, it is a few minutes and a few dollars of AVGAS to save myself the heartache.

Just thought I would through that in there.

Not a bad idea, tracons get real busy.  I remember last thanksgiving i was sitting in Seattle tracon, and even the day after thanksgiving, one of the lowest traffic days, a couple of VFR guys called up to transition and forced the controllers to modify patterns.  Not a big deal, just a couple of more words to utter, but in air space such as NYC tracon, that can get real crazy, especially if you miss a call.  Most of the time a controller will be happy to help ya out.  Just ask.  And if you're worried at a towered airport, just tell em youre new to the area, and they will understand.  Or at least they should.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 07:11:20 PM »
The worst thing they can say is "no".
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 08:06:44 PM »
Uhm, actually I'd say there is one thing they could say that would be worse: "Chuck is that you?"  ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »

Ha, did you hear a couple of weeks ago that a controller in Houston was fired for denying an aircraft that had declared an emergency use of the runway he requested.  Saying no has bad reprecussions.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »
Uhm, actually I'd say there is one thing they could say that would be worse: "Chuck is that you?"  ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::

Frank

HA HA !! Good one!  ::wave::
...quick on your toes today, Frank!  ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 11:46:27 PM »

Ha, did you hear a couple of weeks ago that a controller in Houston was fired for denying an aircraft that had declared an emergency use of the runway he requested.  Saying no has bad reprecussions.

Any link or more details?  I'm really curious there.

I'd like to note that saying not to an aircraft in distress also seems like a bad idea becuase if he wants it bad enough, he's just going to take it anyway. 
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 02:29:06 AM »

Any link or more details?  I'm really curious there.

I'd like to note that saying not to an aircraft in distress also seems like a bad idea becuase if he wants it bad enough, he's just going to take it anyway. 

Ill see what I can find...

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 02:49:56 AM »
http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=120900

Emergency Prompts Air Traffic Controller Training
AP - 2/21/2007 1:40 PM - Updated 2/21/2007 2:15 PM

DALLAS (AP) _ Air traffic controllers at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport have been retrained after a pilot was denied a runway request after declaring a low-fuel emergency.

The emergency was reported on an August 31st American Airlines flight from Tulsa to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. The captain declared the emergency and asked to land against the flow of traffic. But a controller supervisor said that type of landing would delay other flights. Another controller suggests the pilot land on a different, shorter runway or possibly go to Dallas Love Field.

The pilot accepted landing with the air traffic and the flight got on the ground safely.

The Federal Aviation Administration has retrained all air traffic controllers at DFW to clarify the controllers' understanding and handling of such incidents.

This says they were just retrained.  Meaning they were porbably decertified and then retook their tests and started again.  However, what some of my professors told me, which do constulant work for the FAA told us they were fired.

Dunno...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:45 PM »

Frank

HA HA !! Good one!  ::wave::
...quick on your toes today, Frank!  ;D
Actally I wrote that just before going to sleep, great end to the day :D

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 06:44:36 PM »
I would be pretty.... "irked" I believe if I declared an emergency and was told "if you do that it'll delay other flights."     

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »
No doubt.  What part of "emergency" don't they understand?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 05:45:50 PM »
No doubt.  What part of "emergency" don't they understand?

The only thing I could think of, and ive heard the tapes, is that the controller thought he was declaring Min Fuel, which is a lot different than a fuel emergency.  If you declare Min Fuel, we dont have to give you direct routing etc.  It just means that you cannot accept any undue delay.  Thats the only thing that would makes sense at least to me.