Author Topic: Chuck moves out of the flying pan and...  (Read 11439 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Chuck moves out of the flying pan and...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 02:55:44 AM »
Hoooooo boy! Could Chuck dig himself a bigger hole with her after this? I can't imagine he could, but I'm sure that he will find a way!

It would be interesting if Julio gets the girl to have him talk her into "working" with Chuck to improve his standing with women. E.g., role playing wherein she (against her will but as a favor to Julio) gives lessons on how to talk to women in a civilized manner instead of his using usual pickup lines. Chuck, of course, wouldn't really understand the idea and (innocently) continue to say things that would be turnoffs and/or offensive... she would then get angry at him while he would be confused with her reaction!

TM

Woah Duck!  :o
Ever thought of becoming a screen writer?!

We should hire you if our animation concept goes through...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 03:07:12 AM »
 ::wave::  DonYan!!

Well, the idea for "Always" was a good one...  and they actually went through all kinds of hoops to install cameras in the FS leadplanes at the time.  The lead guys AND girls go in and fly the drop before the tanker goes down in the tight areas, you check out the air, the exits, routes, wires, smoke, visibility, turbulence, etc.  We were all thrilled to think that MAYBE, MAYBE, FINALLY, they would make a "fire movie" that was actually somewhat close to the truth.

We all went to see it when it came out -- a HUGE crowd of us fire pukes -- of course having a few brewskis along the way to the theatre.  We were SO jacked, because we all knew the great fire shots the leads would have gotten on the drops.  That opening scene with the Catalina just PROVED how GOOD it was going to be -- man, we were so wound up!  I'm surprised anyone stayed in the theatre with us wild animals all hooting like idiots.   >:D

Unfortunately, that PBY shot was THE LAST accurate thing in the movie..  what a load of crappola..  I could go on and on for ages but won't.  Let's just say that it was so screwed up, and 100% Hollywood BS.  We were SO disappointed..  one of my leadplane buddies was FURIOUS...  he was going to go find the movie liaison guy and choke him...  all the good, and really awesome fire shots, were never used. The ground shots were even more laughable, we were all so disgusted, but it is considered a good joke movie to put on when you have a lot of kegs of beer to drink.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it just for the campy factor.     :D

Soo....  we laughed and ridiculed the entire movie, some of the guys left the theatre to go to the bars, oh well, that's what you get I guess.  As for the real thing, drop heights are supposed to be 150 to 200 feet above the area burning, that can get pretty thrilling in bad air in mountainous terrain and I personally hold most of those tanker guys as the best pilots I have ever seen.  A few guys I know have done that for 30+ years and have never hurt an airplane.  I also know many excellent guys who are dead too.  I have ridden jumpseat with them, (it is really something to be in a P-3 squeezing down into a tight canyon in thick smoke in bad air) and was honored to be their leadplane for some years, it was ONE LEARNING experience, if you think OLD PILOTS don't have more flight knowledge in their little fingers than some young guy, well..... I was fortunate to get to work with them and I still enjoy going on the same fires with them all.    |:)\

So, that movie wasn't at all accurate, but it is still a thrilling work environment, sometimes an ugly one, and never boring down there close to the ground.  The smaller, single-engine tankers drop at lower heights than the heavies;  they have 500-750 gallons, compared to 2400 or so for the heavies.  The lower you go, the more accurate your drop, but that retardant is snotty and slimy and heavy, and you have to have enough height for it to fall into the burning fuel as particles, not huge globs.  So, a drop that is too low can often do the fire no good, though it will cut a rut in the ground that is 3 feet deep, will snap big trees like toothpicks, and can kill you on the ground in a second.  So, going too low just makes everyone mad, and going too high is useless, so it's a constant job to be at the perfect height (usually the 150'), and you're almost always in steep, rough terrain.  And, you can't run into all those big things in front of you called mountains.   ;D    

And, people forget, all the aircraft work for the fire people on the GROUND, so it is a constant conversation to try to deliver your aerial product where they want it.  It's a give-and-take -- sometimes they haven't even had a good view of the whole fire, especially in heavy timber, and the eyes from above can recommend a different plan.  Often, the first words out of their mouths are a request for a "size-up".  It all works out.......  

Gee, I think I'd better go find my copy of "Always" and check it out again.  You've made me nostalgic!!!!   ::bow::

P.S.  That is an UNREAL story about the crash with the racehorses aboard...  man!!!  I will have DREAMS about THAT one!!!   ::eek::

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 03:40:00 AM »
Hoooooo boy! Could Chuck dig himself a bigger hole with her after this? I can't imagine he could, but I'm sure that he will find a way!

It would be interesting if Julio gets the girl to have him talk her into "working" with Chuck to improve his standing with women. E.g., role playing wherein she (against her will but as a favor to Julio) gives lessons on how to talk to women in a civilized manner instead of his using usual pickup lines. Chuck, of course, wouldn't really understand the idea and (innocently) continue to say things that would be turnoffs and/or offensive... she would then get angry at him while he would be confused with her reaction!

TM

Woah Duck!  :o
Ever thought of becoming a screen writer?!

We should hire you if our animation concept goes through...

All you have to do with this is let the characters talk to you... the hard part is setting it up, and you do that! It would also be difficult to do with a panel cartoon, I would think. And come up with the actual dialog. And just about everything else... the idea part is easy!

Off to bed for the duck... hoping to get up early and head to OSH in the morning, wx permitting. The subcontractor doing the layout for my book wants all 403 pictures rescanned! The standard the publisher had me use (300 DPI JPGs) aren't good enough and they want TIFFs. Some of the stuff to scan is in OSH, so I gotta take a day and go hang out with my friends at Sonex one more time! Tough job but somebody's gotta do it, ya know...

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 03:48:24 AM »
Hope the weather cooperates, and you make it up there!!  Such a tough deal!!  You poor guy!!   ::rofl::

And Mike is right -- you'd be great to write for the movie!!  Scribble, scribble, quack, quack....  I can see it all now.   :D

Have a great flight.    8)

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 04:45:38 AM »
Always is one of my favorite movies.  That has more to do with Holly Hunter than the accuracy of the movie, though.

I've seen "A Guy named Joe."  Spielburg did a decent thing and made a completely different movie.  Only the basic premise of the guardian angles remains of the plot - and the names of the four of five top characters (Pete, Ted, Dorinda, and Al - and a character named "Nails").  "A Guy Name Joe" was a movie of its era and should be watched in that vein.

There's a reference to "A Guy Named Joe" though.  Al is lecturing Pete on taking chances.  He starts with "You know what this reminds me of..." and goes on the explain how Pete is a jerk for taking chances he doesn't need to take.  And if I tell any more I'll have to post a spoiler warning!

jbs
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:56:41 AM by switchtech »
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 05:20:17 AM »
I still haven't seen "A Guy named Joe", and would like to.  I actually really like "Always", even though it's hard to stay in the room during parts of it.  It was just such a letdown -- we went through months of listening to the guys say what great shots they got, and on some pretty crazy fires, so when none of it was used, everyone was pretty bummed.  I think there may be a couple shots of real airplanes landing...  so we were all deflated that it was just another "tv show".

I love the classic "Red Skies of Montana" even though there are some hokey things in it, too.  Like you said -- when viewed through the times, some of these are great flicks. 

And, I'd share some of the thousands of FUNNY (i.e., ribald?) comments about Holly Hunter, but I'd get thrown off the forum.  I don't mean that in a bad way, it really was funny, but.....  there ARE forum rules.  Hee hee...      ;D

;) 

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 12:07:55 PM »
Hope the weather cooperates, and you make it up there!!  Such a tough deal!!  You poor guy!!   ::rofl::

And Mike is right -- you'd be great to write for the movie!!  Scribble, scribble, quack, quack....  I can see it all now.   :D

Have a great flight.    8)

Thanks for the kind words. The duck is staying in Illinois today... wx for the afternoon calls for storms. I could get to OSH but may not be able to get home! Oh, wait.... where's the problem with that...?  ::rofl:: Maybe Thursday. Anyone need anything from the EAA museum shop?

TM

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »
Hey, Mr. Duck!  Since you'll be "in the area", give a thought to coming up to Baudette. 

Ooh.  Little further than I thought at 400 miles.  But, the invitation's there.  I'll buy the coffee.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »
............. and had a lack of oxigen at birth: but besides that, she is a nice OBJECT on the screen... ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: just don´t listen to her bable... ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::

OMG DonYan! that is one of the  sharpest (and elegant) insults I ever read.  |:)\
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that next week's strip is going to be a single panel with Alex screaming "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY AIRPLANE!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!"?

TM

Grounded again today... hoping to get to OSH tomorrow!

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 01:29:07 AM »
Um...so exactly which open cockpit biplane has a yoke control?

Phil

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 02:15:10 AM »
Maybe it's a homebuilt, and she just appreciates a good yolk. ::rofl::

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 03:44:29 AM »
Maybe it's a homebuilt, and she just appreciates a good yolk. ::rofl::

Ug...not to be confused with your pun Velo  ::sick::
OK, I set that one up I guess.  ::wave::

Phil ::cowboy::

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 10:39:50 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that next week's strip is going to be a single panel with Alex screaming "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY AIRPLANE!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!"?

TM

Grounded again today... hoping to get to OSH tomorrow!

Naw, she's too cool for that.  She'll just stand there and call airport security on her cell phone, right there in front of Chuck!  That way Chuck will have an opportunity to step all over himself again.  8)

Phil