Author Topic: Jet Taildragger??  (Read 8047 times)

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
Jet Taildragger??
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:47:41 AM »
Has anybody ever heard of a turbojet-powered aircraft with conventional gear? I far as I know I've never heard of an existing one. Just curious. ::thinking::
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Jet Taildragger??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 04:50:49 AM »
I don't have your answer -- but what did Hannah Reitsch test fly for Hitler?  She was a top test pilot for the Third Reich and did a lot of rocket testing and jet testing before most people had even heard of such things...  ?   She also did demo flights in helicopters when people refused to see them as a viable machine, including a famous flight inside a stadium, to prove they were controllable....  anyway, just thought I'd toss this out, maybe she is a clue...? 

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:54:42 AM »
The first ME-262 prototype was a tail dragger.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 06:59:19 PM »
I think only the earliest of early jets were graced with the taildragger configuration.  I think people got tired of pilots burning up the tulips, or something.

I'll quit the yackin' and get to crackin' though.  I'm sure I can dig something up.

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:09:08 PM »
Ah, here's one.

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/mus/uk/fleetair/faa26.jpg

Supermarine F.1 Attacker

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »
One of the first Russian Jet fighters was a tail dragger as well. It was the Yak-12 or 14 I think

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
this is a old thread but the first ME 262's where tail draggers they had to tip the brakes to get the nose up once at speed seen film of someof the test flights
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Jean Loup

• Cockerel
  • born under an obnoxious star
    • jean, the barefooted D.i.Y'er
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »
I don't have your answer -- but what did Hannah Reitsch test fly for Hitler?  She was a top test pilot for the Third Reich and did a lot of rocket testing and jet testing before most people had even heard of such things...  ?   She also did demo flights in helicopters when people refused to see them as a viable machine, including a famous flight inside a stadium, to prove they were controllable....  anyway, just thought I'd toss this out, maybe she is a clue...? 
yes, hannah Reitsch did test fly many crayze aeronautical ideas...V-1, Me-163...that crayze and vulnerable 6 engined Messerschmit monster glyder...videos on this YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPpUehliWG8 from a movie made about her life, don't know the name. I recognize several german/french actors, sound is in Spanish...(not a good movie: but V-1 shots are interesting...for me) other videos on this page are in english, have interviews with Hannah & real films of that dark era, her & other germans test-piloting. Excellent information on her life by herself (awfull accent!!!)...most of all these technician/pilots, worked later in the USA or the URSS. Nowadays, their descendants cooperate together on the ISS project...Soyuz & Shuttle are brothers in arms out there (not for long: thanks to politician war adicts...) :'(  ::wave::

Offline Jean Loup

• Cockerel
  • born under an obnoxious star
    • jean, the barefooted D.i.Y'er
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 06:33:07 PM »
 ::knockedout:: Lippisch P13a Supersonic Ramjet Fighter footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvtxjSrImHw&feature=related ::wave::
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:08:26 PM by donYan »