Author Topic: "Real Life Comics" webcomic, strip about pilots  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
"Real Life Comics" webcomic, strip about pilots
« on: February 18, 2007, 01:37:51 PM »
I was reading thrue the archive of another long-running webcomic, Real Life Comics and found this strip, I think this might describe the real artist while the rest of the comic are fictive characters and storyline, at least to some extent. Another strip showed the artist couldn't order a soda because he place didn't serve anyone under 21, even though it was a soda and not alchohol he wanted.

Here's the strip I found: http://reallifecomics.com/archive/020325.html
I thought it was pretty funny, although it could be seen from different angles.

Edit: Another one: http://reallifecomics.com/archive/020328.html

I hope it's ok to post this link here even if it's another webcomic.
Frank
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:12:45 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: "Real Life Comics" webcomic, strip about pilots
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 03:51:50 PM »
HAHAH---Hey!
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »

Edit: Another one: http://reallifecomics.com/archive/020328.html

I hope it's ok to post this link here even if it's another webcomic.
Frank

I wonder which category Chuck would be ?  ....hmmmmm....... ::whistle::

BTW:   NO! It's not ok to post the competition !!!  ::complaining:
(just kidding, it's all good!)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »
Is there even such a pre-flight check? And if so, wouldn't that there in real life be extremely dumb/dangerous? http://reallifecomics.com/archive/021010.html

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 04:18:16 AM »
Water in the fuel can settle out onto the bottom of the fuel tank / bladder, and be caught in place by internal ribs or wrinkles (in the case of a bladder), and by shaking the wings, the wisdom goes that you nudge all those blobs of water down to the lowest point (drain/s).  You shake the wing pretty hard, then let it sit for an hour or so, then drain the fuel.

For a million bucks, I couldn't tell you if it makes any difference, but, there ya go!

:D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »
P.S.  Looking at the wing surface during a strong but steady shake is also a way to check for internal structural damage.  I can't recall (it's been so long ago) but I did read somewhere that a pilot found this doing a preflight on a small rental airplane..  but I can't recall the details.

Come to think of it, I can't recall much.   :D

8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »
Jet A dissolves water easily, so with jet fuel you do have to let stuff settle for an hour or so (or so they've told us).

The sump is ideally the lowest point in the system you are trying to sump.  The problem is, cessnas have a rib underthe middle of the tank (or maybe a few anyway) and over time the tank will sag around it.  Water can then be left in the new depression and not sump out. 

We had a 152 with the flight team with this problem (the others didn't).  Anyway, this particular cessna ended up having a fuel cap go bad.  It wouldn't let fuel out but would let water in when it rained.   You'd sump the plane and not get any water, but around climb out after a touch and go the engine would try to die.  The turns around the pattern would be enough to get the water out of the trough that had formed in that plane.  I think they got over a half gallon of water out of it that wasn't sumping out once they finally figured out what was going on.   That plane we'd rock the wings really good before each flight...  the other ones we tended to do that with too, but they didn't have that problem so it didn't make a difference on how much water you got out.

I'd like to note that I've noticed a LOT of people miss belly sumps on cessna 152s and 172s.  Some of them have that sump plugged instead of actually having a sump there, but it seems most people don't know that there *can* be one there.     

As far as Av gas and water, I don't think water even tries to dissolve in avgas... IE, it'll come out rapidly if it was suspended at all.    A good way to test this would be to get a bottle and put some water and some gasoline in it.  Shake it up and see where the water goes.

As far as jet fuel and sumping... we don't sump our planes... self defeating if we are going to fly the plane immediately after fueling 99% of the time.  Guess it's a difference thing with turbine and piston ops.    I'm sure the DA-42 twinstar will have water seperators on it (standard equipment on automotive diesels).
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:52:02 AM »
I'll be honest, but it sounds new to me. even if I drain after refueling, waiting at least 5 minutes before doing, I was never told I need to shake the wings and never did..........
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »
I'll be honest, but it sounds new to me. even if I drain after refueling, waiting at least 5 minutes before doing, I was never told I need to shake the wings and never did..........

The old guy who was talking about the cessna issue didn't seem to think it affected pipers, so might be a "don't need to" type thing for them.   

I don't know nearly as much about this as I might sound like I think I do...     :-\
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:37:36 AM »
http://reallifecomics.com/archive/030421.html  :o
Also look at the previous one.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 08:21:22 PM »
http://reallifecomics.com/archive/030421.html  :o
Also look at the previous one.

Frank

Are you aware that you are killing me in laughter Frank?

I seriously consider taking the ramp.guy job at the loal airport  ;D