Author Topic: Snowbound.....  (Read 6020 times)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
Snowbound.....
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:32:01 AM »
Who needs Alaska... We got upward of 40 inches in places (over a meter for you metric folks) of snow here in Vermont yesterday and last night. (I have over 30 inches and I'm only 300 feet above sea level) I can't even get the car out of the driveway yet to go to work. At least the power is still on and the cable modem still works. Looks like I might be here a while.....

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Snowbound.....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:44:06 PM »
Wanna truck some of that over this way?  It's too bad the snow can't be more evenly dispersed.  We've only got a couple of inches left from December, and you guys got 15 FEET in some places. 
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »
Yeah.. the drifts here are pretty impressive. I finally got the car out of the driveway to head to the store for some needed items (Burgers and Beer ::rofl:: ) and as I drove bt the airport (KMPV) which hasn't been plowed yet, I saw a big drift out of which was sticking the tail of a Cessna 150.... That'll take some work to dig out for sure  ::unbelieveable:: Roads are pretty much clear now but driveways are still being cleared. I actualy stayed at the girlfriends house last night as the closest I could park to my own house was a 1/4 mile away then a 100 yard trek up my hill in backside deep snow (I'm 5'10" tall) I've done it twice in the last 24 hours to check on and feed my dogs. My snowplow guy's truck broke down so his brother is going to try to plow me and the other 2 houses out on my road today.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:28:39 PM »
Hang in there Brian!  As long as the dogs are fed, and you've got beer, it sounds like everything important is under control anyway!!!

I just heard from my sister -- they are completely snowed in their house -- she shoveled a few times to just TRY to find the car, but gave up with the 30-mph winds...  it is only 3 above zero so she's enjoying that same wind chill you have, I am sure (at least 30 below?)....  no school, no work, and no plow yet....   :D

My niece just ran and took a picture of the UPSTAIRS window for me -- EGADS!!  (And, their house is on a slope on that side, so the snow is actually drited much deeper than you'd guess.)  Check it out:

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 12:11:56 AM »
Here's a few shot's I took at my Girlfriends house..... Had to have a Backhoe move the snow ::eek::

The snow doesn't look as bad at her house since it got plowed once mid-storm, plus the wind moved some of it around.

Brian
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:14:07 AM by BrianGMFS »

-

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »
Today in North Pole Alaska it's +18F, winds calm, sky clear.  Enjoy the wind and snow guys.   ::rofl::   ::loony::
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Fairbanks+AK

Phil   8)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 02:26:36 AM »
Dang... I need to head to Fairbanks.... It's warmer, It's been in the single digits (farenhite) or lower for 2 weeks. Now we get dumped on. Stowe VT had the most snow out of the storm with 48 inches... I've got about 36 or so. Here's a link to my local paper with some more details.

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070215/NEWS01/702150378/1002

Brian

-

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
We just have the relatively trivial amount of snow we've had for most of the year.   ;)
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 05:16:11 PM »
Darn! Kind-of makes Denmark look even greener than before. this picture was taken while (my brother was) driving south of Roskilde (east of Copenhagen) and the roads were clear and it was a few degrees above freezing.

I hope everyone come thrue this all right.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »
Yaaaay!  We finally got some measurable snow over the weekend.  I figure about 13 inches in my driveway yesterday morning before I got the snowblower out.  Worked for two and a half hours on my driveway and my yard blowing out paths.  Now, the guys are plowing the ramp and blowing the snow off the runway.  The new plow truck is now stuck in the middle of the ramp!.  I'll post some pictures later on.

We needed this little storm.  A buddy of mine heard that northern MN needs 60-70 inches to catch up on the water we should have at this point.  And, the bonus is I can finally break out the cross-country skis.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »
We got a little snow last night.   I guess it's going to be warming up during the days and cooling down at night still (causing the snow to precipitate out). 

The high winds from the north are still bringing cold air down...

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 11:02:46 PM »
well, if you dislike snow....I'm currently in Lugano for a few days and today it seemed as if it was the first day of spring.......
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 01:47:41 AM »
well, if you dislike snow....I'm currently in Lugano for a few days and today it seemed as if it was the first day of spring.......

I don't mind snow,  I like it myself...  but be careful anyway... I have a 3 week break coming up.  :P

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 05:26:13 PM »
Some pics from Sunday and Monday.  It's nowhere near the amount that Brian got, but we're excited to have it.

My snowblower and me.

My daughter experiencing snow for the second time.

Some of the equipment at the airport.  We just got that plow last week.

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 01:19:52 AM »
nice, we got about a foot here in the Forks, i hear that we're due for another 18 or so in the next couple of days.... yay.....
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...