Author Topic: What the hell is going on??  (Read 40047 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: What the hell is going on??
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »
Wow... sorry about your mom, Frank!  Hope she is doing well now.   Sorry I've been out of touch... had my PC blow up on me and have been putting pieces back together and recovering stuff

Best regards to everyone!

::type::
Welcome back! And thanks for the thoughts. My mom is home (still on this tiny island) and the only big worry is when we can move to the new place in Odense where we don't have to wait for a ferry for even the smallest trip (a ferry that's undergoing service now monday-thursday only leaving a very expensive cable-ferry on the other end of the island landing far away from the nearest main town). Then there's the matter of the county-sponsored car for my mom which still hasn't been paid for in 4 months and our car in trade has lost a lot of money over that time, especially with new rebates just voted in for low-emission cars with a lot of safety equipment so our cheap car is in the loosing end. At least then the two years over here have made me realise/learn a lot about life and myself so after we move it's either CPL, programmer or bust for me. I've found a chance in life and I want it, just as soon as I know my mom has better chance of getting help, here I'm the only one for her and that's a major pressure even if I want to help, I found that out when I had to live alone the two weeks and I could take or the place easily and keep everything I need in check, because I knew my mom had the best care possible in the hospital (after she was stabilised of course).

Glad to have you back online, it's nice to see good people return. I also saw Roland online yesterday, I wonder if he's back from the middle-east now?

Greetings
Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 07:52:27 AM »
Wow... sorry about your mom, Frank!  Hope she is doing well now.   Sorry I've been out of touch... had my PC blow up on me and have been putting pieces back together and recovering stuff

Best regards to everyone!

::type::
Welcome back! And thanks for the thoughts. My mom is home (still on this tiny island) and the only big worry is when we can move to the new place in Odense where we don't have to wait for a ferry for even the smallest trip (a ferry that's undergoing service now monday-thursday only leaving a very expensive cable-ferry on the other end of the island landing far away from the nearest main town). Then there's the matter of the county-sponsored car for my mom which still hasn't been paid for in 4 months and our car in trade has lost a lot of money over that time, especially with new rebates just voted in for low-emission cars with a lot of safety equipment so our cheap car is in the loosing end. At least then the two years over here have made me realise/learn a lot about life and myself so after we move it's either CPL, programmer or bust for me. I've found a chance in life and I want it, just as soon as I know my mom has better chance of getting help, here I'm the only one for her and that's a major pressure even if I want to help, I found that out when I had to live alone the two weeks and I could take or the place easily and keep everything I need in check, because I knew my mom had the best care possible in the hospital (after she was stabilised of course).

Glad to have you back online, it's nice to see good people return. I also saw Roland online yesterday, I wonder if he's back from the middle-east now?

Greetings
Frank

Thanks, Frank!   And I'm glad to hear that your mom is doing better, even if the situation isn't ideal right now, at least she's out of hospital and all, so that's got to be a huge plus.   The rest of it will work out I'm sure.   One thing I know for sure is that the highest priority one can have in life is family above all else.   

See you on the board!   Keep us posted on the progress my friend!

Best regards,
Bob
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 06:16:26 PM »
good to see you in here again Ted!

make sure you hurry back soon, ok?!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »
Welcome back Ted!

.....Oh mates! I'm over working lately, so I do not have a lot of time to catch up with the coop :(
I just wanted to send you a quick hello and tell you I've not forgotten the nicest and only forum on the net! Hoping either for a flight soon and some time to read all the posts I'm missing!
Kiss kiss!

I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 03:19:49 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome back to the coop Mike and Happylanding, and to others that have likewise extended me greetings :)

It's good to be back!  I can't tell you how frustrating it was indeed to be incommunicado with everyone!   Computer problem hit at a really bad time too since I had been laid off work... hard to justify the money for a new computer without job prospects.    Fortunately, both computer, and job situation have been resolved  ;D

Only bad part is that since I was laid off from work at Boeing, my new workplace, while interesting, isn't quite as fun... but it pays the bills.   And you never know what may happen in the future.   Good news is that I still have tons of friends there, so I still can get the scoop on things :)

We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 03:23:18 AM »
Glad the job AND computer situation have worked out alright -- yes, it is hard to be incommunicado once we get used to this!! 

Welcome back to the Cool Coop...    ::wave::

The Soccer Mom** 
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »
oh no! what happened at Boeing??
down-sizeing?

what's your new job?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 12:35:17 PM »
Thanks, SoccerMom :)

Mike, yeah, they got a contract change for the project I was on when the USMC went with a different vendor for the software they were using, and there was no other work in the area for my expertise with them.   It was a thirteen year run there for me all as a contractor, so I guess I can' complain too much.   When I started with them (when it was still McDonnell-Douglas before the Boeing merger) they had 29,000 people employed in the area with them.   Now it's down to about 10,500 and no new programs to speak of, though I did hear that there is a possible extension of the F-15 and C-17 programs.   That wouldn't have affected me though.

I worked on a system called SARA there, which is short for Squadron Asssistance / Risk Assessment.   It was the last one I worked on with them there, and was the one that is being shut down since the USMC went with a program called M-SHARP to do what SARA does.   Unfortunately, M_SHARP is made by a firm out in California, so no new software changes or anything was needed or desired.  There used to be a lot more info on SARA on the Boeing website, but it's pretty sparse now.  By the end of September this year the one last guy on it will either be retired, or find another job, but he may not have luck either.   In my time there I worked on the F/A-18 E/F program as well as many others, with SARA being the last one.   Hopefully, I'll get the chance to work there again.   We shall see.

My new job is also a contracting job.   I'm under contract with a different firm to an engineering company that makes die press parts for pill manufacturing.   They make the machine parts that do the tablet compression for them.   I'm working on improving their barcode system within their business.  They make stuff for just about anything that needs to create a pill.  Automotive industry, candy manufacturers like PEZ, pharmacology production, etc.   Interesting stuff that I never thought about before, but not as much fun as the aerospace side, admittedly.  But, it's paying the bills again :)
http://www.natoli.com/   
 :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 12:46:28 PM by Ted_Stryker »

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 12:29:04 AM »
Welcome back!

Lockheed maybe?
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2007, 11:15:57 AM »
Welcome back!

Lockheed maybe?

Thanks, Baradium :)    I had thought of that, and a few others, but not in a position to move unless the job really paid well and the salary would offset the cost of living change enough.    But, who knows... maybe if this current job doesn't work out :)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 07:11:24 PM »

Thanks, Baradium :)    I had thought of that, and a few others, but not in a position to move unless the job really paid well and the salary would offset the cost of living change enough.    But, who knows... maybe if this current job doesn't work out :)

I don't know where else Lockheed does stuff, but I know the Atlanta area isn't exactly the most expensive in the nation...

Never know unless you try?
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2007, 02:12:35 PM »

I don't know where else Lockheed does stuff, but I know the Atlanta area isn't exactly the most expensive in the nation...

Never know unless you try?

Very true!   I'll have to look into it!  :)   It sure would be nice to be back in the aerospace line again! :)